(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

sorry but i don't understand too :D here's some modify pics. hope this helps and remember don't stared at it too long :lol: to solve microbubbles problem i will be adding baffles in the sump, this will be done next week when vacation is over :D

8-8.jpg

8-8a.jpg

8-8b.jpg

4-24.jpg

QUOTE]

So he went from that to this.... Rebuild time....
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Went from running 4 pumps 24/7 to 1 pump feeding the main display and 3 other tanks. Lighting also being replace with LED's.... Stay tune..

There are lots of holes to be plugged. For a second i thought the tank and sump were build in the combat zone lol. Everytime i put my tank in anyone tank i always leave some type of trade mark. The tank will have an external waveboxes and Tunze stream.

Oh, did you see that tiny skimmer sitting on top? It will be replace as well :) with the real skimmer.

scary. I designed my system with one pump supplying it all (with a spare pump at the ready) and an air stone skimmer that drew 105W. It was a very electrically efficient system.

scary. I designed my system with one pump supplying it all (with a spare pump at the ready) and an air stone skimmer that drew 105W. It was a very electrically efficient system.

That is pretty much the direction we are heading. We are going to use 1 pump for everything and he has 4 pumps sit on the side for back up. Correction to my last statement, he used to run 5 Sequence pumps in this system.

If you look at his old plumbing, it looks very well organized but it is not effective. He abuses the use of 90's too many pipes. We also remove the overflow box because he has approx 1/2 of his clean up crews stuck in between the box and the back wall. The company that build his tank makes a 4 sides overflow and mount it 1/2 away from the back wall.

FWIW, his Deltec media reactor and Ca reactor bite the dust for no reason. It is still brand new sitting in the garage and the tube just cracked. His protein skimmer AP1004 the pump fitting look like it about to come off the body. So we replaced his skimmer 4 Eheim 1260 with my H&S A400 custom 5 Aquabee F-5000. His Calcium reactor with my ATB custom. The system will be more energy efficient with 6 MH and 12 VHO removed and replace with LED.

yeah, every 90 elbow takes some of the throughput. I used flexible PVC wherever I could. Simple is best. A manifold fed by a large diameter flexible PVC to valves and more flex PVC. Got to cut out all those angles. 1 x Hammerhead is what powered all my return flow through gravity fed skimmer, mechanical filtration, then to pump and through more mchanical filtration, reactors, RDSB, and gravity back into display. I had 4 return lines under the rock, but in any new system, my tank would have zero holes.

His tank has so many holes i don't even know what to do with it. I will post some update pic this weekend. I already have everything plumbed except the return pump because i am going to do that after polishing the tank.

Can I give you some advice? Get rid of the tank. Seriously. The cost pales in comparison to ruining your house. If you don't know how to do that, here are videos to explain it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rycKgu8auBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EGoHPXs3JPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xIyRLvlW8Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lawrence, yeah he is going to use my Protein skimmer and Ca reactor and my tunze.

Jonathan, are you serious?

Very serious. I nearly lost my system during an electrical fire. A reactor split a seam, sprayed water on a socket (which was neatly tucked under the tank where water couldn't get on it), and it sparked a fire. Small stuff really. A shorted, and melted 1000W ballast power cord flamed up right under one of my return lines. It charred the line and looks like it came very close to igniting. For all the safeguards I had on that system, that could easily have dumped 1000g on the floor. The room was fairly well sealed, but it still could have cause excessive damage, and perhaps a bigger fire. I will NEVER have another tank with holes in it.

Back