Fish Transport Question

rfalvey89

So I'm picking up a pair of Breeder Maroon clownfish and have to transport them back home.
The kicker is that I'm getting them in Port St. Lucie and traveling back home Dunedin/Clearwater. I have read as much as I could but can't settle on the best way to do it.
My initial thought was a 5gal bucket , with a lid with holes in it wrapped in a towel to keep the temp as stable as possible.

Then I read a gallon ziploc bag inside an ice chest :thumbdown
didnt like that one...

I'm open to any ideas as I'm not getting them until Monday
Thanks and have a Merry Christmas:beer:

I moved some fish in a igloo cooler with a battery powered air pump from Tampa to Ocala which was about a 2 hour drive with no issue. Im sure the fish could have made it this way 3 even 4 hours without issue. I was thinking of going to the same guy you are going to for some clownfish myself and was planning on doing the cooler again.

Im interested in what others have done too

Get a battery operated bubbler from the fishing department a Walmart. A 5 gallon bucket half full would be nice. Also bring a extra few gallons of salt water with you.

A few gallons of water in a five gallon bucket with an electric bubbler will do just fine. I'd also have a lid to keep it covered as to keep the stress level down. Ive been on further trips with less hearty fish.

Get a battery operated bubbler from the fishing department a Walmart. A 5 gallon bucket half full would be nice. Also bring a extra few gallons of salt water with you.

This is the best way. I moved several tangs and a pair of clowns from Mass to tampa this way.

If i remember correctly, I transported 30 black and white clowns in a 5g bucket with a bubbler from Palm Beach to Oldsmar a few years back. Not 1 casualty.

As another person mentioned, this is the best way, and being such a short trip, you shouldn't have any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You shouldnt have any problems.. I purchased a leopard wrasse in fort lauderdale at around 4pm, left around 6 and didn't get home until almost midnight and he was fine in the plastic bag the store sold him to me in.

I moved some fish in a igloo cooler with a battery powered air pump from Tampa to Ocala which was about a 2 hour drive with no issue. Im sure the fish could have made it this way 3 even 4 hours without issue. I was thinking of going to the same guy you are going to for some clownfish myself and was planning on doing the cooler again.

Im interested in what others have done too

I ended up needing to reschedule for later this week. If you want to make the trip let me know.

Thanks for the responses - I am going to go with the 5 gal bucket/lid/battery op bubbler from Petsmart. Should be good :D

So how did it go? Were you happy with the pair?

I have to get my breeding system completed before I can make the 4 to 5 hour trip one way

Yeah. Place is wild. Some of the coolest Clown pairs that I have ever seen.
Definitely the biggest breeder size clowns I have seen for sure.
I have my pair in the 125 now. They seem to be doing well. haven't seen them feed quite yet but we are right on 24 hours since acclimation. I think they are adjusting.
Even if you want some smaller Percs- he has TONS of all morphs/colors etc. Tanks of them

The drive was the worst. SR60 to the Fla Turnpike...:headwalls::thumbdown

Back