Fresh vs. Salt vs. Brackish..

I find the freshwater snail population rises and falls in direct proportion to how much you overfeed. I'm got ramshorns (they outcompeted the common pond snails over a couple years). The population stays pretty steady and isn't too bad. I used to worry about them, but now I just let them be and everything's fine.

Cool; didn't even know about those.

They are scavengers and pedators of small snails. They will ONLY attack pond snails due to their small size but any other snaill like a small mystery is safe.

I never seen one kill a snail but the populations just lowered everyday so I guess they were killing them off without anyone know... LIKE AN ASSASSIN!

I'd say that it depends on what you have in the tank.

For me the easiest are my Opae Ula (Hawaiian Red Shrimp) brackish tanks.

These tiny shrimp are nearly indestructible. They eat "biofilm" with occasional supplemental flake feedings, live happily in unfiltered water (though most of my tanks have small HOB filters), require only rare water changes, just topoffs with distilled water... They are very active and breed like rabbits.

I have chaeto in all of my Opae tanks which helps with filtration and, I suppose, as a food source... 50/50 fluorescents hang over each tank...

I was hoping someone with brackish tanks would chime in. I've never run them. What salinity do you keep your shrimp at?

I'm wondering because he said he has chaeto. I have no idea how low chaeto can go. I know I see macros here in the wild in brackish water (gracilaria and ulva), but I've never brought anything with me to measure the salinity.

is there a setup in freshwater tanks where you don't have to hoover the gravel?

Stream tanks with high flow, and I mean really high flow, you do not have to siphon, like in some reef tanks, the flow will keep detritus from settling.
I had one set up with Borneo loaches, that was a very fun tank that I will set up again one day.

And the chaeto does well at 1.012? That's good to know. I love this forum, no matter how long I stay here I'm still always learning all kinds of cool things.

I'd say if you have the $$$$ to spend on a saltwater tank and splurge on the best skimmers, ATO's, Reactors etc....saltwater is easier. But for the average person who is in it for a small hobby and not an obsession lol freshwater for sure.

I have a reef angel controller, ATO, automatic water changes, automatic calcium dosing, radions, tunzes, SRO-3000, everything is pretty top notch on my tank right now and I've automated everything I can possibly automate. Just testing my Ca/Alk/Mg is about the same as 6 months of my freshwater maintenence!

Its still way more work than my freshwater. I mean it isn't even close. My freshwater is 15 seconds of maintenence daily, another 5 minutes once every couple weeks to top off and fertilize, 15 minutes of pruning every few months, and a 1 hour water change every year and a half.

But the saltwater is a labor of love, while the freshwater is just my easy breezy work relaxation tank.

I've kept FW tanks pretty much my entire life and cant stay away from them. I tried SW/reef tanks twice, and didnt have success so I just went back to a FW planted again.

Its the expense that turned me away from SW for now and back to FW planted..I couldnt afford the equipment I wanted and was struggling to keep the tank going after a crash.. I can plant my entire tank for the price of a nice piece of coral. Maybe when I am older, have my own house, and making more money to afford a large tank (100+ and good equipment).

I will say that a planted tank is not as easy as most think. Its taken me awhile to get it to where I am happy.

29g planted, dual T5 lamp with a 450nm grow light and 10k bulb, fluval 206 filter, dose Iron and Potassium every other week and water changes bi-weekly.

i'd say if you have the $$$$ to spend on a saltwater tank and splurge on the best skimmers, ato's, reactors etc....saltwater is easier. But for the average person who is in it for a small hobby and not an obsession lol freshwater for sure.

+1,

The longer and more established the tank is also gets more and more stable and easier to manage.

Last edited:
Back