Fully Grown Achilles only 6"?

tfp

I've had him for over 7 years...and I really can't tell if its even grown since I got it. any ideas why this fish won't grow? was hoping by now he'd be like 10" with a huge teardrop :(.

I think it depends on how much you feed and the size of the tank but with that said I think a lot of people will be happy to be have that fish that don't grow.

I got mine 4 years ago and he was 3 1/2" at that time. Today he's a very fat 8" long and still growing. I would be very happy if mine would stop growing ;-)

c404de7a5d808afbb75bb78b96b6673a.jpg

I think mines just a some kinda dna runt :(. all the other tangs he's been with have outgrown him by several inches (maculiceps, fowleri, orange shoulder, purple, scopas, chocolate, blue). just thankful they all get along :)

This could just be nature protecting the fish. People are always discussing tanks being too small for fish. But in my decades of being in this hobby I have yet to see a fish outgrow a tank. My dad had a yellow tang for 14 years. The yellow was in a 50g tank. He never got more than a 2" body size. Lots of people would jump up and scream that this tang was miserable and unhappy. But 14 years is significantly longer than most fish survive in this hobby.

I have a pair of large Hippos in my 400g tank for 3 years. They are obesely fat, but only about 7" long. If you go to any public Aquarium you will see Hippo Tangs that are over a foot long.

When these fish are kept in our tiny boxes. And even 400g is tiny compared to the amount of area an Achilles can cover in 5 seconds in the wild. Nature protects these fish so they don't outgrow there homes.

And while someone may have an 8" Achilles in a 240 and yours is only 6" in a 400g - Neither one of those fish is the close to the size of some of the SHOW Size Achilles that come in out of the wild at over 12". And I am sure that both of your tangs are fat and healthy.

Dave B

these are a tough fish for sure. If feeding well with Moderate growth I would be happy.
Great color on the fish above^

12" Achilles? What are you smoking?

:lol:

My powder blue was bought in '06, and is still only a hair over 5 inches. I'm not going to sweat it. He looks just fine to me... albeit a bit on the chubby side :)

15667257887_be8e2244bd_c.jpg

This could just be nature protecting the fish. People are always discussing tanks being too small for fish. But in my decades of being in this hobby I have yet to see a fish outgrow a tank. My dad had a yellow tang for 14 years. The yellow was in a 50g tank. He never got more than a 2" body size. Lots of people would jump up and scream that this tang was miserable and unhappy. But 14 years is significantly longer than most fish survive in this hobby.

I have a pair of large Hippos in my 400g tank for 3 years. They are obesely fat, but only about 7" long. If you go to any public Aquarium you will see Hippo Tangs that are over a foot long.

When these fish are kept in our tiny boxes. And even 400g is tiny compared to the amount of area an Achilles can cover in 5 seconds in the wild. Nature protects these fish so they don't outgrow there homes.

And while someone may have an 8" Achilles in a 240 and yours is only 6" in a 400g - Neither one of those fish is the close to the size of some of the SHOW Size Achilles that come in out of the wild at over 12". And I am sure that both of your tangs are fat and healthy.

Dave B
um i have many tangs dropped off at my store due to them outgrowing aquariums. Right now we have another acanthurus xantherterpus pushing 20 inches that came out of a 150g tank and was bought at 3.5 inches 5 yrs ago. I have pics and will post some when i get home. Our other beast is in a thread titled monster tang ( pushing 24.5 inches atm and has certainly outgrown the 800g he is in.

I think sometimes it depends on the fish. My chrysurus angel has barely grown in 12 years, still about 7", and this guy is fat and always eating well. Placed a 2.5" juvi Xmas emperor angel and that guy has grown past 8" in the same tank in 3 years. I've seen the same in other types of fish.

Fully Grown Achilles only 6"?

um i have many tangs dropped off at my store due to them outgrowing aquariums. Right now we have another acanthurus xantherterpus pushing 20 inches that came out of a 150g tank and was bought at 3.5 inches 5 yrs ago. I have pics and will post some when i get home. Our other beast is in a thread titled monster tang ( pushing 24.5 inches atm and has certainly outgrown the 800g he is in.

I've seen foot long Achilles, sailfins, and Nasos in the wild, maybe over a foot.. Beautiful.

So... Where are these pics? And the thread, tried to look for it. I would like to see these huge tangs.

the thread is called monster tang and was posted about a yr and a half ago in the fish forum. have pics of the new guy but also have the flu but will post when i can. At the shop atm. but home in about 4 hr

That's a pretty famously gigantic Acanthurus. Yellow fin tangs are huge. I think the biggest Acanthurus, if I'm not mistaken.

I've seen foot long Achilles, sailfins, and Nasos in the wild, maybe over a foot.. Beautiful.

Even fishbase, which has some crazy max sizes listed, only lists the max recorded Achilles at about 9.5 inches. So I'm sorry, but you haven't seen foot long achilles tangs.

Back