Good wavemaker for 60 gallon tank?

Weboh

I just upgraded to a 60 gallon tank and I realize I need to do more for flow. I already have two powerheads (to give you an idea of how much flow they give, one's rated for up to a 30 gallon, one up to a 60). I think a wavemaker would be best since there were spots in the other tank algae would get stuck; plus I know random flow is better all around for everything.

What are some good wavemakers that you would recommend for a 4 foot, 60 gallon tank? Preferably something cheap; (as cheap as a good quality thing gets in a reef tank, anyway ;)) I don't care about connectivity to Apex or anything.

Also, how would you recommend I position the wavemaker and powerheads I have for best flow? Should I get one of those generic timers to plug my powerheads into so that they alternate off and on as well?

Any other thoughts on the best way to optimize flow?

Thanks.

I use jebao ow series. Ow-10 is plenty of power for me. I would get three for your application and they can all be synced together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a MaxSpect Gyre wavemaker in my 53G DT (Red Sea Reefer 250) - Maxspect Glamorca-GP03 and it does the job well. I only run this to a max of 60% as well as my return pump and for now get all the flow I want. It sits on the left, and this means I get stronger flow on the right than the left, so are aquascaping with this in mind.

The Gyre doesn’t need a controller to program it. I do have an Apex and use it to power the Gyre, so it turns off during feed cycles etc, but rely on the Gyre programming for it’s cycle.

My tank is only 9 months old so please bear that in mind for any advice I give!

The Jabeo is in the price range I was looking for and the reviews on Amazon for it look pretty good. Why do you recommend 3 ow-10s? Would 1 ow-25, which has twice the flow, be just as good as 2 ow-10s? I can always use my current powerheads for any dead spots, I suppose.

Get an MP10 or MP40. A little pricey, but worth it. The random flow they can create is awesome. Super easy to clean. I would never even consider another powerhead. I had the little Hydors - they were junk. Hard to clean. Loud. Wires everywhere.

I had the Jabao(?) pumps too. Same.

Get an MP10 or MP40. Consider it your splurge. You're worth it!!!

Cheap out on other stuff.

A lot depends on how much flow you need and if you want flow across the entire tank. BUT... a couple of used MP10's would probably do the trick. Try the For Sale Forum or Ebay. You would have to experiment with their placement. They don't take up much room so you have a lot of options.

Get an MP10 or MP40. A little pricey, but worth it. The random flow they can create is awesome. Super easy to clean. I would never even consider another powerhead. I had the little Hydors - they were junk. Hard to clean. Loud. Wires everywhere.

I had the Jabao(?) pumps too. Same.

Get an MP10 or MP40. Consider it your splurge. You're worth it!!!

Cheap out on other stuff.

My vote is for the Jebao's. I have used MP-10's and MP-40's, and while they are great pumps, they have their drawbacks (and pretty big ones IMO).

First - Placement. You cannot angle them to get the directional flow you want, place them on the glass and they point straight ahead.

Second - That GIANT dry side is super obtrusive and takes away from the tank in a serious way. I much prefer a small cord that is easily hidden.

Third - Price. I can get a slew of Jebao pumps for the cost of a single MP-10. I have been using various Jebao pumps over the years and have not had a single failure. Even if I did, It is inexpensive to replace. People talk about how reliable the MP pumps are, but MANY have had to replace a dry or even wet side, and either part will cost as much or more than a new Jebao.

I agree that you want at least 2 pumps. A single, more powerful, pump may do the job, but you would not be able to get as random a flow pattern as you could with 2, or better yet 3.

Back