griss’ Battle with Cyano - all the Things I’ve Tried

I just bought one too. Thanks George!!! (y)
You’re welcome Jesse. I get it tomorrow. I’ve read the directions for the settings are difficult to figure out, but once you do the pump is great.

Added 10mL Waste-Away added this morning.

Was going to post pics, but no matter how I resize them I get a message saying the file is too large????

Left10022022.jpg

10022022.jpg

Okay, so apparently emailing the pics to my laptop and posting them worked. These are the pics from Saturday.

Cyano looks pretty much gone, ya?
I still have it. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but it's still evident when the lights come on in the morning and goes away as the day goes on. You can also still see quite a bit of it in the lower flow areas throughout the day. This is the last week of the Dr. Tim's treatment. So, starting next week, I'm going to do another 2 week treatment at full dose. If you remember, I went with very conservative dosage amounts on this treatment regimine.

Glad you’re back buddy. Do they still make Copper & Sons? Haven’t seen that in the states in a long time.
Do you mean this?

shopping

I remember talking about this one many moons ago. If so, it's still around but the landscape has changed with many more small breweries. There's about 5 or 6 breweries within a few suburbs from where I grew up. I did the rounds with some mates recently.

Do you mean this?

shopping

I remember talking about this one many moons ago. If so, it's still around but the landscape has changed with many more small breweries. There's about 5 or 6 breweries within a few suburbs from where I grew up. I did the rounds with some mates recently.
Yep, that’s the brewery, but didn’t know they made a pale ale.

Added 12.5 mL of Waste-Away last night. Instructions call for a partial WC tonight, so I’ve got 5 gallons mixing. Tomorrow night is the last treatment (15 mL Waste-Away) in this first regimen.

The tank is looking much better overall but, I still have Cyano stubbornly holding on in some areas…especially the lower flow areas. So, I’ll likely do another WC over the weekend and start another (higher dose) regimen next week.

Meant to add, in case someone missed it, I'm doing the higher dose on the next regimen because I went extremely conservative in dosing with the first. That very well could be the reason I have some Cyano still holding out.

What's the flow like in your tank? We spent last weekend determined to get on top of the cyano in our tank. 2 doses of Chemiclean on Saturday and Monday as well as adding a new wavemaker to the tank. Between the 2, we seem to have won the battle (although there is now a pile of sand at one end of the tank). While the Chemiclean certainly made a difference, I'm convinced that the additional flow made the biggest difference. Time will tell whether it returns. I'm dosing nitrates and I've noticed over the past couple of weeks, diatoms have started to encroach on areas that were once the sole domain of cyano so I think there's a few factors at play.

What's the flow like in your tank? We spent last weekend determined to get on top of the cyano in our tank. 2 doses of Chemiclean on Saturday and Monday as well as adding a new wavemaker to the tank. Between the 2, we seem to have won the battle (although there is now a pile of sand at one end of the tank). While the Chemiclean certainly made a difference, I'm convinced that the additional flow made the biggest difference. Time will tell whether it returns. I'm dosing nitrates and I've noticed over the past couple of weeks, diatoms have started to encroach on areas that were once the sole domain of cyano so I think there's a few factors at play.
Aaron,

I have (2) Sicce Voyager Nano 530 gph / 2000 lph (converted that for you my friend), (1) Sicce Voyager Nano 230 gph / 1000 lph on a Red Sea Wavemaster wavemaker. I recently added a Hygger 422 gph / 1600 lph on it’s own controller.

Plus, I have a 500 gph return pump.

Aaron,

I have (2) Sicce Voyager Nano 530 gph / 2000 lph (converted that for you my friend), (1) Sicce Voyager Nano 230 gph / 1000 lph on a Red Sea Wavemaster wavemaker. I recently added a Hygger 422 gph / 1600 lph on it’s own controller.

Plus, I have a 500 gph return pump.
Much appreciated George, I do love me some metric measurements.

I just had another read through the thread and I don't think you mentioned nutrient levels. I suspect the mermaids cup is taking up whatever is available and it's possible that your nitrates have hit 0 while there are still phosphates present. A perfect environment for cyano.

Observations from tonight.

First the Skimmer cup was filled with a tea like skimmate. It is usually much darker. Probably from skimming out the bacteria.

C27B118F-96EC-4702-9443-16F1906B2B4B.jpeg

Second, the Cyano that was in the tank in low flow/low light areas was MUCH easier to siphon out during the WC than it has been in the past. It readily came off the rock. Where it the past, I had to brush it off and then siphon it.

Back