griss’ Battle with Cyano - all the Things I’ve Tried

Used a toothbrush to scrape as much Cyano off the rock as I could, then did a 5 gallon water change.

Also, the Mermaid’s Cup/Wineglass is out of control.
9C8FBCDD-620B-4AB3-8294-EDEF949DFAA6.jpeg

I added a small Tuxedo urchin and a couple Turbo snails yesterday.

Well, I’m at a loss. No matter what I do, cyano, cyano, cyano. Weekly water changes, massively increased flow, new MH bulb and ballast. Makeup water is through a 7 stage RO/DI with 0 TDS. Change filter socks at least weekly, sometimes more. Skimmer doing well. I just don’t get it.

Attachments

• BC7CC6B4-275A-474A-B430-D2F6BEF81577.jpeg
    BC7CC6B4-275A-474A-B430-D2F6BEF81577.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Cyano fixes it's own nitrogen so cleaner water usually just benefits it because other microbial competitors die out. I've read that imbalanced phosphate/nitrate benefits it also, so if you have detectable phosphates but near zero nitrates it will flourish. Getting your nitrates up near 10 could help out by encouraging other competitors.

Other thoughts - cerith snails will eat some cyano. My money cowrie definitely eats it. I know @melev has observed the same thing with his money cowries.

I'd be curious to try something like Reefbrite's reef enhance or live rock enhance since it adds competing microbial spores and enzymes.

Hmmm, wondering if my, “success” with the, “impossible” to keep Mermaids Wineglass is related somehow?

Cyano fixes it's own nitrogen so cleaner water usually just benefits it because other microbial competitors die out. I've read that imbalanced phosphate/nitrate benefits it also, so if you have detectable phosphates but near zero nitrates it will flourish. Getting your nitrates up near 10 could help out by encouraging other competitors.

Other thoughts - cerith snails will eat some cyano. My money cowrie definitely eats it. I know @melev has observed the same thing with his money cowries.

I'd be curious to try something like Reefbrite's reef enhance or live rock enhance since it adds competing microbial spores and enzymes.
Stupid question, but how to increase nitrates?😂

I’ve been over feeding this week and now have a nice crop of film algae going.

Stupid question, but how to increase nitrates?😂

I’ve been over feeding this week and now have a nice crop of film algae going.
More feeding, more fish - whatever adds to the nitrogen cycle. People also dose nitrates (brightwell neonitro is popular) which I also did for a while but now I just dose ammonia instead and let the bacteria convert it to nitrate. Truely the most enjoyable way would be to add more ammonia producing organisms - namely fish. Maybe time for a tang and if it eats the mermaid's cup - double bonus.

More feeding, more fish - whatever adds to the nitrogen cycle. People also dose nitrates (brightwell neonitro is popular) which I also did for a while but now I just dose ammonia instead and let the bacteria convert it to nitrate. Truely the most enjoyable way would be to add more ammonia producing organisms - namely fish. Maybe time for a tang and if it eats the mermaid's cup - double bonus.
Okay, just ordered some ESV B-Ionic Nitrate, some Brightwell Microbacter 7, Microbacter Clean, Hanna Phosphate replacement reagents and a Salifert Nitrate test kit.

Hmmm, not sure how this happened, but I went to clean the glass tonight and realized the magnet cleaner was on, “backward.” Yes, the external piece was inside the tank. I’ve been keeping the magnet on the tank and I’m not sure when this happened.

Anyway, when I removed what should have been the exterior magnet from inside the tank, it stunk like hell. The water in the tank smelled fine, so I’m wondering if part of my problems is that???

Last edited:
Hmmm, not sure how this happened, but I went to clean the glass tonight and realized the magnet cleaner was on, “backward.” Yes, the external piece was inside the tank. I’ve been keeping the magnet on the tank and I’m not sure when this happened.

Anyway, when I removed what should have been the exterior magnet from inside the tank, it stunk like hell. The water in the tank smelled fine, so I’m wondering if part of my problems is that???
Like leaching cyano food somehow?

Some film/slime algaes that grow on the glass can have a pretty good funk to them, so that might be the smell on the magnet.

Like leaching cyano food somehow?

Some film/slime algaes that grow on the glass can have a pretty good funk to them, so that might be the smell on the magnet.
Thanks brother. I’ve been a diver and reef keeper since 1986. I’ve never smelled anything related to the ocean so foul. It dissipated pretty quick though, so who knows.

New RO Membrane and Dr. Tim's arriving today.

Here's a few tank shots from last night. Keep in mind, this is after the lights being on all day. First thing in the morning, almost everything is covered in cyano. Also, since doing 3 5-gallon water changes over three days, the Mermaids Cup algae has suddenly taken off and is growing like crazy. Yes, I know I need to clean my powerheads ;)

View attachment 32374196View attachment 32374197View attachment 32374198
Is this your main display tank?

Last edited:
Curious have you ever considered using chemiclean? I have no personal experience with it, I just see it works for most people, Of course there are always risks with putting an antibiotic (or any product) in an aquarium.

Curious have you ever considered using chemiclean? I have no personal experience with it, I just see it works for most people, Of course there are always risks with putting an antibiotic (or any product) in an aquarium.
I keep going back and forth in my mind about trying it or Red Slime Remover.

Back