H redi

angieg1123

Premium Member
I have 2 CB H. Redi sea horses and I love them. When I got them they were a pretty yellow. Thay have since turned all black. I don't hate the black.....I just liked the yellow w/ black speckles. I know they change colors but is there any way to encourage them to change back? I have added red, yellow, and Pink hitches but that didn't help. I even went so far as adding a solid yellow background. NO luck there either.

Tank info (since i know you will ask)
20G High (will be 45H whe they mature)
100 GPH HOB power filter
65w PC lighting
1 in sand bed
20 lbs LR
Razor macro
asst. zoanthids
Ammonia 0
nitrate 0
Alk 7.4 dkh
nitrite 0
salinity 1.0245
temp 72
ph 8.4
phosphate 0
calcium 400
Oceanic salt

Fed PE mysid 2x day 6 days a week and fast 1 day a week

Any suggestions welcome

Here is a pic of when I first got them

15032seahorse1.JPG

Here is a pic of them now
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/15032black_H__Redi.JPG

They both look the same so I only posted pics of one of them.

Thanks,
Angie

i was just curious... how long did it take them to turn? did they start turning as soon as you got them? did it take a week or 2? i got a black, yellow and white seahorse and they're ALL yellow now. :p it would nice to have a black seahorse :p i'm worried now that no matter what colour seahorse i get, he/she will turn yellow :p (i have 4 now, all shades of yellow)

It took about 3-4 days to go from the above yellow to the all black. LOL I'm worried that all of mine will turn black. I use RO DI water. Do you? Maybe it is something in the water that triggers the change. Some trace element maybe? People keep telling me they change color for protection or to match their surroundings.....if this is true I must have color blind sea horses :)

I put a lot of red/yellow plastic anemone/coral decorations in and the horses slowly turned back to yellow, all but one, and that one may be going as it is lighter in color than it has been.

i have RO but not DI. and mine changed colour over a couple weeks, so it may have been a maturity thing as they were juvies (didn't even get their pouches yet). though by now at least 2 of them are mature as they've started breeding.

Back