Halide Q & A

I was running 2 de hqi pendants on a standard 150 400w with 20k bulbs and everything was doing great I just switched to kessil s and everything doing worse for what ever that helpvtgat is

I just got my first MH fixture, the hamilton cebu sun 24" to go over my 93gal cube. I'm currently running a radion.

It will come with the m80 ballast, so I'll be getting a 20k radium.

Question is: what do you guys recommend for the T5 combo? I'm thinking 2xATI Blue, 1xATI Purple plus, 1xATI coral plus?? I'm not sure if that combo is going to be too pink looking.

Also: It looks like from what I've read the MH should only be on for 6 hours or so? Any reason for this, I've always used T5 and LEDs, with a photoperiod of like 8-10 hours.

Thanks!

I run my MH for 10 hours on/off. I use no T5 or other supplements since I would rather just spend the money on another halide bulb.

The 20K radium will no supplement, so you won't need to choose bulbs to change the look. I would choose bulbs to be in about the 20K range... so what you have is good.

Questions about MH set up.

Questions about MH set up.

Going to re-setup my biocube 29. I have a old PFO 250 watt mh. It has 2 slots for 28 watt axnitc bulbs.
My question is how should I light cycle as its all or nothing. All 3 are on at once.
Should I go with a 20k main bulb and what should i use for the axnitc. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
I am going reef tank with this.

Wyld

Pick a bulb that needs no supplementation and forget about the tubes. 20K Radium needs no supplementation.

That's not normal. My m80s were each 100% silent. Zero hum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Hamilton M80 that the case vibrated on, I had to shim it apart to stop it, it wasn't as bad as that. I would send the ballast to Hamilton and have them check it out.

Hi, new reefer here. I was given a metal halide and compact fluorescent hybrid fixture from my cousin who used to have a reef. I don't need to replace the mh bulb anytime soon but in case I do, I was wondering what wattage size I would get? My cousin moved away so I can't ask him. I measured the mh bulb from outside of the glass casing and it seems to be about 7 inches. Is this a 150W or 250 W bulb?

So I found a brand new unopened aquaticlife r7s hid 48in fixture which is 2 x 150 watt MH and 4 x 54 watt t5s for 600 bucks. I'm a "new school" reefer and have only had expertise with Ai prime and the 52 hds. It's going in a canopy over a 90 gallon 48x18x28 tank. I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth it?
2. Will I need a chiller for 150 watt halides?
3. Has anyone had any experience with this fixture or something similar.
4. Can you put a 175 watt bulb in this fixture?

Last edited:
1. I wouldn't pay that much for it, even for new old stock, it wasn't an expensive light.

2. Pretty unlikely, unless your tank is in a small enclosed space that doesn't get much ventilation.

3. I have seen them, never wanted one. They are a lower middle end fixture, not bad but not great either. It will work fine for your tank.

4. No

I would ditch the canopy if you do it, the canopy will hold in heat unless it is an open top canopy or very well ventilated. It isn't a bad looking fixture.

That is not a good fixture, IMO. I think that the ballasts were electronic, when they should be M81 to drive the bulbs to their optimal potential.

Fans can keep my MH cool. It is funny how people who want to make them work have near zero heat problems and people who don't want them to work say that the problem is unmanageable.

AquaMedic fixtures are high end. Look for one of these. They should be in the 100-300 range. You could also call Hamilton - they have good stuff that will work well in a canopy.

You need to use the bulbs rated for the fixture. 150W are double ended. 175W are single ended. They would not even fit anyway, but if they did and they were wrong, it could be a big issue.

Back