Halide Q & A

400W... approx 12" - 18" above the water... but the big factor is the reflector and using dual ended HQI... I used Cayman Sun

Gotcha.
I have the largest lumenarc reflectors. 22/22/9 or so. But run single end 400

Is that 12 inches above water the bottom of the reflector?

Corey

you can't put MH that close to the water in my experience. The IR radiation will cause a dramatic temperature rise and the water splash will cause salt crusting and require frequent cleaning.

Just my experience... even 12" was difficult to maintain.

So reflector 12 inches off water line at least. Then 24 inches to tank bottom, then height of reflector is 9. So 45 inches from the bottom of my tank?

I will look into that, my current fixture has been 8 inches from reflector to water line for a few years now, but your says I should move it to 12 at least? I will see if I can tinker with that.

Corey

Do you think that I will get enoug par at the bottom of the tank using 250 watt bulbs? If I keep the reflector 12 inches off, then nine more inches to the bulb, so 21 inches from tank top to bulb then another 24 inches to the sand?
Or should I look into the 400 again?

Corey

Just remember that it is not all about par. MH's produce a full spectrum lighting that is impossible with LED's. I have a 180 with acropora all over my tank and am getting great growth and color. I'm using 3 Reef Brite mh/led pendants 13 inches above the top trim... 36 inches from the bottom of the tank.... no problem with growth or color. A standard 180g.

i meant from the bottom of my reflector to the top is about 9 inches, so the bulb actually sits about 7 inches from the bottom of the reflector.
I am sure i am overthinking this and in fact have already placed them about 9 inches off the water level.

corey

Hey everyone, my 250 w galaxy ballast just pooped out after 5 years of use and i currently have no lighting over my tank and i need to buy a new ballast ASAP, seems like most of the good nice brands of MH ballast don't exist anymore.. what's a really good brand of 250 w ballast out there to run a single ended 20K 250w Radium bulb? Seems like the only MH ballast that most stores sell/offer are Reef Brite and Luxcore??? Please help!

Just checking in to say I fired up my Infiniti for the first time today with my new Pheonix and coral plus bulbs. What a thing of beauty. The shimmer is stunning, not that fake crap, but like a real piece of ocean. And the colour temp is great, a real crisp blue.

Can anyone recommend a 250 watt se bulb that can work as a stand alone option on a standard electronic ballast without an hqi setting? I'm currently using reefbrite mh/led fixtures and I'd like to be able to achieve a blue/white color without using the xho's while the halides are on. The shimmer is so much better with only the halides running. I would be using the xho's for sunrise and sunset. I'm currently using reefbrite twin arc 14k bulbs and I find them to be too yellow.

Can anyone recommend a 250 watt se bulb that can work as a stand alone option on a standard electronic ballast without an hqi setting? I'm currently using reefbrite mh/led fixtures and I'd like to be able to achieve a blue/white color without using the xho's while the halides are on. The shimmer is so much better with only the halides running. I would be using the xho's for sunrise and sunset. I'm currently using reefbrite twin arc 14k bulbs and I find them to be too yellow.

Hamilton 20k or 14k.

Back