Halide Q & A

Less output per output ... I need a nap. Language skills diminishing

So an electronic MH ballast splits the power equally electronically while a Magnetic is just a single "shot" of electric coming out per bulb... correct? Now I know why people sometimes say the old magnetic ballasts can drive the bulbs better

no no.. duals split the power while dedicated provide consistent output.

Dedicated electronic ballasts are superior to the magnetic ballasts. They're more efficient, run cooler and can maintain the voltage better, even with line variances.

I would not advocate for magnetic ballasts. IMO, they overdrive the bulbs and make them burn out faster. They also generate more heat to the immediate area.

Hmm
So your saying even a magnetic dual ballast is splitting the power ? Years ago I had a dual magnetic and from what I remember there were two ballasts in the aluminum box

I don't know how the magnetic dual ballasts are designed. They could be split or combined.

Here's what I'm saying (to be clear) - IME

Electronic is better than magnetic.
Dedicated single ballasts are better than duals.

The only that I have ever owned - PFO dual M80 - were two separate ballasts in a single box.

Electronic is not always better than magnetic. If they bulbs are designed for Magnetic, especially HQI and Radiums, then they run better off of Magnetic ballasts. Some 10K bulbs will do significantly better off of M58. Some don't care. It matters.

The only that I have ever owned - PFO dual M80 - were two separate ballasts in a single box.

Electronic is not always better than magnetic. If they bulbs are designed for Magnetic, especially HQI and Radiums, then they run better off of Magnetic ballasts. Some 10K bulbs will do significantly better off of M58. Some don't care. It matters.

I'm setting up a new system with old equiptment right now. I have a PFO duel 250 (it has 2 transformers in one big box). for SPS, could you give me any SE lamp reccomendations?

20K Radium. It is made to be driven on those ballasts. All other bulbs will be overdriven, but some do OK and some will cut the life substantially.

I have two questions. Question 1 can a Galaxy electronic ballast for a DE bulb? It outputs 4 amps so I think it can but I haven't been able to find a firm answer. Question 2 on the ballast itself it states don't unplug the lamp cords while it is plugged in. It is a dual 250 ballast and it is going over a 40 breeder so I only need the one lamp if I protect the other female socket that is not in use with some sort of insulating cover would that be okay?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Cabo sun Mini

Cabo sun Mini

Hello,
Does anyone have par distribution plots for the cabo sun mini or know what the spread is like.
From the BRS video on metal halides, the cabo sun the spread is almost perfectly even at 18" depth.

Just wondering if the Cabo Sun mini is the same except with a less spread, which will be fine since the normal cabo sun can light very wide tanks by the looks of the BRS video.

I am wanting to light a 24x24x12 frag tank.

I just purchased three of the Reef Brite MH/XHO Se pendants and ballasts from BRS , 250 watt. I ordered three of their twin arc 14k bulbs as well. Any general thoughts on this? I was debating 14k vs 20k twin arcs... I thought the 20k might be too blue.

I'm pretty darn excited.... very glad to move on from led and to see the real long shimmer of halides.

Yes. Bulbs are a bit limited in 150W double ended, but the best-of-breed 14K Phoenix are hard to beat and mostly people like them.

Question, I am currently running a single 400 10k bulb on my tank. I am thinking of switching to two 250 watt bulbs just for a little more spread. What is an ideal height for he bulb to be off the water line? Or should I measure from the bottom of the reflector? My 400 bulb is 15 inches off the water line on a 24 inch tank. I figure I can lower the 250s to still get plenty of punch in the tank. However I'm curious as to a good mounting height because I am going to build a light rack that rests on my tank top. That's why I am curious on bulb distance off the water. The tank has an internal overflow and a eurobrace so the water is about 2 inches from the tanks eurobrace.

Thanks for the insight.

Corey

Back