Hang on Protein skimmer

Szwalla

Premium Member
I was recently informed that I should be pulling a lot more skim than I currently am. What is a good hang on skimmer for a 125?

Thanks,

I see a used Aqua-C remora pro protien skimmer with a Rio 1400 with a calcium buildup. Is a calcium buildup preferred?

i have a prizm pro on my 125 plus a cpr bak pac and it seems to be good. the prizm says that it is good up to 300 gallons but i think that 125 is max on it. i know people say prizm are garbage but i love mine, i also have the smaller one on my 15 reef and pulls all sort of just out of the water. good and easy to use skimmers IMO

A 100 gallon reef aquarium need a decent skimmer, IMO. There are few "hang ons" that will be appropriate for a 125, simply because of the size and weight of the skimmer.
It's time to strongly consider a sump.

A sump can be as complex or simple as you'd care to make it.
The 3 main "ingredients" of a sump are: #1) drain/return plumbing, #2) a "sump"- something to hold water (a cheap old 30 gallon aquarium can be used), and #3) something to push the water back to the aquarium (ie: the main circulation pump).
The skimmer can then be placed inside the sump or feed off the sump or aquarium. A skimmer for a 125 gallon aquarium will be at least 24" high and have a 6" or greater diameter body. This size skimmer holds a significant amount of water- thus it's under significant pressure. I wouldn't want a skimmer of this size hanging anywhere- it should be sitting somewhere.

Here's a link to part one of a three part series on sumps:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

Last edited:
Gary,

Can you identify the pcs I need? I dont have a reef ready tank. I will purchase what I can afford tomorrow. Am I looking at $400+?

Thanks,

You can piece together a sump for well under $400 if you spend carefully.
If you use an old scratched up aquarium as the sump, you might get that part for free. Just make sure it doesn't leak.
To keeping plumbing costs down, look for a Magdrive pump which can be placed directly into the sump. If your aquarium is not "reef ready" (which simply means it's drilled for drains) you'll need to get a hang on tank prefilter/overflow box. Get a good one that restarts in the event of power failure. (I prefer Lifereef or Amiracle. These aren't cheap if purchased new.) You'll need hoses and miscellaneous plumbing parts to attach drain/return lines.

The skimmer is the tricky part. Good skimmers aren't cheap, but if you look around you might find a deal. Expect to pay at least $200 for a good used 24" skimmer. This is a rough estimate. Skimmers vary greatly in pricing and quality. The brands that are "in" will cost more than the brands that are "out".

I have a ASM G2 skimmer on my 125g. Buy it directly from asmskimmers.com for $219 + shipping.

The skimmer is the most important part of your tank. Don't skimp.

I got my tank (30g) for $50, overflow box from TRS $55, Berlin bag holder from CFS ($55) and berlin bags $6.99. Mag7 from TRS but I can't remember how much.

Carrie

Top off requires another rubbermaid, powerhead for circulation, and top-off kit (CFS has them I think they are $89.99).

I had been using a Seaclone150 which wasn't working well (yeah, big surprise!). I've had the ASM since Dec. 31 and I clean it every other day. Yes, it pulls a lot of gunk out. Well worth the money.

Good luck.

Carrie

I too have the ASM and I love it. I have a 30G sump with a return. I have attached a couple of pics. Hope it helps. Also, the gunk in the collection cup is about 24 hours worth! The ASM Skimmer is easy to set up...if I can do it anyone can!

I also love the sump for adding water, additives and hiding heaters!

105936mini-Tank_Feb_06_004.jpg

105936mini-Tank_Feb_06_006.jpg

Mike I have an ASM G3. I highly recommend it. Unbelievable skim, awesome price. ASM's are great, go for the G3...

I have an area under my tank roughly 30" L (could add a couple more inches), 17.5' wide and 28" high. Is there a tank that would fit in that area? It has to be at least 30 gallons?
Thanks,

It has to be big enough to accomodate the everything that would flow into it in the event of a power outage. Typically the top 1" of your tank plus the volume contained in the plumbing in addition to the water already in the sump. A large skimmer may also drain into the sump in the event of an outage and further increase the volume needed.

A 30 long is a good choice for a sump because it is long and narrow without being so high you can't work in it. Another option if you only have 30" avail (30 longs are 36") would be a 20 long which is only 30".

Look into a 25 or a 29 All Glass Aquarium. I think that at least one of those is 30".
Also, I have an Americle overflow available if you want it. I paid $60 for it; I'd like to get $30 for it. Let me know if youââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢re interested.

Back