Help choosing Generator!!

tylr9m482

Hey guys,

So with this storm coming up the east coast this weekend I have realized I probably should have looked into a generator/battery back up sooner however now I am cutting it down to the wire. I need something that is inexpensive since I don't have the funds to go big right now. I was looking at a PowerPro 56101 2-Stroke Generator, 1000-watt made by WEN on amazon for 133$. I will include the link at the bottom. I can order it on Amazon and get it by Saturday if I act fast.

Anyone know if this is enough to run a 75 gal system, I run mostly everything off my apex and eb8, I mainly want to make sure the 2 mp10's, mag drive, and heaters will run as that is most important. I have heard that some generators will fry your apex system? Is this true? I suppose I can disconnect the apex and run everything off a standard power bar if I have to.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J261PGQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#Ask

I wouldn't risk it. I would just run the main pump and 1 heater. That's all the life support you really need. Perhaps you can use the extra juice to watch a movie or cook something or run the fridge.

It wont take much of a generator to run 1 main pump and a heater. Just make sure you have plenty of fuel on hand.

Check out the 900 peak/ 700 watt generator from harbor freight. I used one during sandy and bought one shortly after. Mine is still in the box but had great success. It ran all day for me and is a little bigger than a 12 pack of bottled beer. It must have ran for 8-12 hrs on a single tsnk of gas. U need 2 stroke oil but it ran a bunch my 500 watts of halides and return pump and a few other things. Now that im running led's and dc return pump amd gyre, im expecting to run entire tank if i need . Im sure they still have in stock at a local harbor freight and is about 100 bucks.

Personally, I would stay away from 2-stroke generators. They can be hard to start sometimes, especially in the cold. Ever notice how many 2-stroke snowblowers are sitting at repair shops after the first snow?

Based on your post...it looks like you are running a few items that are expensive and sensitive....like the apex. Personally I would look for a generator that puts out a pure sine wave...it's great for digital and sensitive equipment.

I have a Honda 2000 that I use for the sensitive stuff. I also have a second generator that I use for the other items like a frig., lights, portable heater, etc. etc. The Honda will set you back close to a grand, give or take..but are very efficient, quiet, and fairly light. Since $$$ is an issue, then I guess what you are looking at would work fine.

Last edited:
A portable propane generator like this one is something to think about for a couple of reasons...

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/lp-series/lp3250

Propane burns much cleaner than gas so it is easier on the environment and the engine. Propane can also be stored indefinitely, which is not the case with gas. It is also much easier to get a hold off during a gas shortage....remember Sandy....people couldn't get gas to run their generators.

I know this is beyond your price range but it is something to think about as an alternative. I have one and it works great.....thankfully I have never had to use it for an extended period of time.

Based on your post...it looks like you are running a few items that are expensive and sensitive....like the apex. Personally I would look for a generator that puts out a pure sine wave...it's great for digital and sensitive equipment.

I have a Honda 2000 that I use for the sensitive stuff. I also have a second generator that I use for the other items like a frig., lights, portable heater, etc. etc. The Honda will set you back close to a grand, give or take..but are very efficient, quiet, and fairly light. Since $$$ is an issue, then I guess what you are looking at would work fine.

I was a carpenter for 30 years and had to depend on generators for power in the field. NOTHING beats a Honda generator.

^ I like that propane generator. I always have a few propane tanks around for the grill. I have to look into this. Didn't even know they make consumer propane generators, the ones I've seen were industrial size.

You can find a few aftermarket carburetors to convert a gas generator to a Propane. After Sandy, I installed one in my Honda. I had to wait hours in line for gas that week, now I have a 40lbs tank (1 1/2 days) and a couple of 20's from the grill. The great thing is you can switch back to gas if you ever have the need.

The ryobi 2200 w generator is a lot like the honda and runs very quiet and smooth for about $550, at home depot. It throttles itself up and down depending on the power draw. It can be very efficient.

You can also consider getting a deep cycle boat battery, at some where like sears and getting a power inverter, from auto supply place, like autozone, and a trickle charger. If you use the min. amount of juice, by going with your heater
and power heads little to no light, it could take you a long way......

"I wouldn't risk it. I would just run the main pump and 1 heater. That's all the life support you really need. "

This.

"I wouldn't risk it. I would just run the main pump and 1 heater. That's all the life support you really need. "

This.

I would also have a low tech powerhead you can point at the surface. I would not plug a vortech, fancy led(T5 or MH is fine), or a tank controller into a gen though. Not worth the potential damage.

^yes good point to mention. I have an old low tech power head, and a mag pump for return I can drop in and run off of gen. I do keep my clamp on sump light running on gen - cause I paid 15$ for the entire set up.

I would not risk my ecotech return / wavemaker or any other sensitive elecs on a gen, unless I had a pure sine wave high dollar unit that makes clean power. I won't run my kessils, it'll just go dark until the power comes on.

I was a carpenter for 30 years and had to depend on generators for power in the field. NOTHING beats a Honda generator.

I have had 3 outages recently
and I am using a Honda generator 3000watt.It is a clone of a Honda generator actually and a bit less money but within 100.00 of a 1000 watt.I don't have anything to complain about,worked good and they start ridiculously easy.It is actually overkill ,Ididn't need that much to run everything,by a long shot.No noticeable effect to any of the equipment.It really comes in handy.

I completely agree. What's nice about the 2000 Honda that people may not know is that the fuel pump is vacuum fed.

You can buy an aftermarket gas cap for that generator, that will allow you to plumb in a fuel hose barb. With the addition of some fuel line, a primer bulb and a small in line fuel filter, you can add an external gas tank that will draw fuel in from the external.

I built mine and it works flawless. I plumbed it into a 7 gallon gas tank, and my Honda can run for a few days with no problem, depending on the load.

Here is a quick video link to give you an idea....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSNGjerYKeU

The only thing I did was add an inline fuel filter. Minus the gas cap which I bought online, the rest of the parts you can buy at your local boating store like West Marine.

Last edited:
onan-portable-p5550e.jpg

Mine ran 2 tanks a 125 and a 92 gal for 6 days durning an ice storm once. I bought a whole house one, unfortunately that quit durning another ice storm and it saved me again running three 300 gal tanks, pumps, plus heaters. I can't recommend enough. I had major issues with Genrac, who didn't stand by their product. For the whole house, the extra money you pay for Cummings was worth it to me. My portable Cummings was given to my brother for construction jobs and now has a couple of hundred hours on it and still in use. Above is a stock photo since I don't have it anymore. A must for fish hobbyists.

I resisted Honda generators at first wanting to buy an American made product, until I actually used one and the thing started every time. Having to carry a can of starting fluid became a thing of the past. As long as you put gas in it and changed the oil, it would run for ever.

I resisted Honda generators at first wanting to buy an American made product, until I actually used one and the thing started every time. Having to carry a can of starting fluid became a thing of the past. As long as you put gas in it and changed the oil, it would run for ever.

I would bet money that Honda is making those in the US and Briggs in China. Briggs is complete garbage, I would never buy any from them. A lot of Japanese engine products (cars,motors,etc) are made right here in the us. A lot of US companies are buying cheap crap from China to fill their production.

Back