hi everyone

yellowsubmarine

I wanted to say hello to everyone and share some good news...
I got a new tank today!
120 reef ready,man oh man am i psyched!
I'll post some pics as soon as the sand settles :p

You are new or a newbie?

If so your tank specs would be great like whats used for flow and the water source and amount of LR and SB and lighting setup and any other info. You could add this in your profile for better replys.
A tank pic is worth 50 replys.

Excellent -- 20 years in salt! Where in New England are you? I am in the process of setting up a new tank too. It is such an adventure!

Where does it say 20 yrs in salt?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12654961#post12654961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mental1
Excellent -- 20 years in salt! Where in New England are you? I am in the process of setting up a new tank too. It is such an adventure!

It says 20 plus yrs. Not saying its not SW but you would be surprised. Could mean 19.10 yrs fresh water and 2 months salt.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12654791#post12654791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
You are new or a newbie?

If so your tank specs would be great like whats used for flow and the water source and amount of LR and SB and lighting setup and any other info. You could add this in your profile for better replys.
A tank pic is worth 50 replys.

new here not newbie:smokin: lol

but i'll give you a run down on the setup anyhow,
120 gallon reef ready.29 gallon sump, coralife superskimmer{i run it real dry} 120lbs of liverock,half an inch of sand that tapers to just a dusting towards the back,260 watts compact flourescent with moonlights{2 175 watt halide fixtures and 14000k bulbs are on their way} for flow theres two 500 gph mag pumps in the sump and 2 hydor koralia's in between the overflows{i forget what they are rated at,pretty impressive though} filled it with ro/di water, i use reef crystals,oh and theres a fluval 405 on there running right now to clear up the sandstorm i made..24 hours and its still a bit cloudy:mad:
the thing i'm most psyched about is that i can finally in good conscious keep a tang! maybe even 2!
:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12657635#post12657635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
It says 20 plus yrs. Not saying its not SW but you would be surprised. Could mean 19.10 yrs fresh water and 2 months salt.
no it's not 20 of salt, about 7 or 8, the rest is fresh,,i still keep a few fresh tanks,a 55 with a pair of angels and about 30 fancy guppies, i've only had corals for a year and a half now,and all softies,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12654961#post12654961 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mental1
i'm right on the newhampshire border in amesbury, mass.,, not 20 years in salt, 20 years keeping fish, 7 or 8 salt and a little over a year with corals,,,TONS to learn still!

i'm gonna change that 20 years to avoid further confusion:rolleye1:

We almost neighbors -- I am on the NH border west of Nashua. I like that you changed hobby experience to $'s!!! That's the truth. Has it cleared up? I am in the planning stages of a 180 so I hear you about the tangs -- planning on the same thing!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12669976#post12669976 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mental1
We almost neighbors -- I am on the NH border west of Nashua. I like that you changed hobby experience to $'s!!! That's the truth. Has it cleared up? I am in the planning stages of a 180 so I hear you about the tangs -- planning on the same thing!
any good pet stores up your way? sand is cleared up! gotta take some pics real soon, i was so close to buying a 180,in the end i went with the 120 because i could never move the 180 myself while i can manage the 120 barely lol.:rollface:

By the time the return pump reaches the return its more like 200 GPH and maynot even be enough flow for the sump.Dont use the resturn pump in the main tanks flow needs.The small amount it may help will never matter.
Then if the 2 koralias arent #4's then your lacking flow and even if they are your at the bare minimum.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12659970#post12659970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yellowsubmarine
new here not newbie:smokin: lol

but i'll give you a run down on the setup anyhow,
120 gallon reef ready.29 gallon sump, coralife superskimmer{i run it real dry} 120lbs of liverock,half an inch of sand that tapers to just a dusting towards the back,260 watts compact flourescent with moonlights{2 175 watt halide fixtures and 14000k bulbs are on their way} for flow theres two 500 gph mag pumps in the sump and 2 hydor koralia's in between the overflows{i forget what they are rated at,pretty impressive though} filled it with ro/di water, i use reef crystals,oh and theres a fluval 405 on there running right now to clear up the sandstorm i made..24 hours and its still a bit cloudy:mad:
the thing i'm most psyched about is that i can finally in good conscious keep a tang! maybe even 2!
:rollface:

How did you manage to move the 120 by your self? My dad and I were able to carry a 120 around our house but found it almost impossible to lift it onto it's stand (although our stand is 4' tall).

There are several shops in Salem NH you should check out: Jays Aquatics, Aqua Addicts and Seaworld. Those are the closest and best for you. Three of us moved the 180 and it was not pretty. I have a gas guzzling expedition and put it in the back on some plywood and didn't get my fingers out of the way quickly enough. Then, went with my husband's suggestion for unloading and it slipped off the dolly a couple of inches onto a concrete floor. My heart stopped the rapid beating about an hour later!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12675573#post12675573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludnix
How did you manage to move the 120 by your self? My dad and I were able to carry a 120 around our house but found it almost impossible to lift it onto it's stand (although our stand is 4' tall).
i borrowed a dolley from work to get it in the house.getting it on the stand was a little hairy... i put it on it's side,tipped one end onto the stand,picked up the bottom and slid it.theres a lip on the stand that the tank sits in,that was the hardest part.i was able to stand on a footstool and lower it for the last inch rather than dropping it. i wouldn't recommend it.but in a pinch it's possible. though for the record my back hurt for days after!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12675412#post12675412 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
By the time the return pump reaches the return its more like 200 GPH and maynot even be enough flow for the sump.Dont use the resturn pump in the main tanks flow needs.The small amount it may help will never matter.
Then if the 2 koralias arent #4's then your lacking flow and even if they are your at the bare minimum.
thanks for the concern, it's actually 2 returns and with the koralia's it's pretty brisk in areas while low in others,i spent some time watching the microbubbles while my skimmer was breaking in and there is good flow throughout the tank, not sps flow but i like softies anyhow,,
the only problem i'm having now is that one of the standpipes{megaflow} is acting like a surge device,,only a 1/2 inch or so but the water is coming back into the tank a bit faster than it can drain in it's current configuration,i tried moving it higher/lower but no dice,taking the strainer and the u off is just too loud,,any ideas?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12679631#post12679631 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mental1
There are several shops in Salem NH you should check out: Jays Aquatics, Aqua Addicts and Seaworld. Those are the closest and best for you. Three of us moved the 180 and it was not pretty. I have a gas guzzling expedition and put it in the back on some plywood and didn't get my fingers out of the way quickly enough. Then, went with my husband's suggestion for unloading and it slipped off the dolly a couple of inches onto a concrete floor. My heart stopped the rapid beating about an hour later!

woa! close call! i thought seaworld was the only shop out there and i hate seaworld! {long story} i'm gonna go find these other 2 ,thanks alot!

Img-20080605-0747220562.jpg

quick webcam photo,

Back