How long do the diatoms last?

My best advice though... Don't sweat a diatom bloom.. It's a very natural and expected part of cycle. Observe, learn and watch as nature and good reef husbandry get you to the next step!
I hear ya!

Tanks are fascinating, but idk, something about all that brown sugar over everything in my tank really irks me!

There is no CUC that will get rid of the diatom. You are wasting your time with livestock. Bnumair, answered your question. But, I will say. Once the diatom shows up, they will consume the diatom. But, until the silica is used up. You will have diatom. And that depends on what type of sand that was used.

There is no CUC that will get rid of the diatom. You are wasting your time with livestock. Bnumair, answered your question. But, I will say. Once the diatom shows up, they will consume the diatom. But, until the silica is used up. You will have diatom. And that depends on what type of sand that was used.
I used live aragonite sand.

CUC will help manage the diatoms.. it won't stop the bloom.. I'm not sure anyone suggested that..
So waste of time? Guess that's a matter of opinion.
That's the first time i've ever heard adding a CUC is a waste of time...for whatever reason...

Like everything with this hobby...he says white, i say black, you can pick purple!

Why do so many people have the CUC as an essential part of their tank startup routine then if it's so worthless?

Why do so many people have the CUC as an essential part of their tank startup routine then if it's so worthless?

I have no CUC. No need for one at this moment. No algae problem, the diatom I did have. I manually removed. Until, I have a need for one. I will manage without one. Don't get me wrong, they can help with your problem. But, that was not the original question. You did ask how long will it last. People have their reason for what they think is essential to keeping a reef tank. Some say, you must have a skimmer and sump. No, these are not essential. They are nice to have, but you can accomplish the same thing without one. So, let me clear myself here. Unless, you have the food source to support a CUC. Why waste good livestock (dead snails). I rather feed my fish, no more than whAt they need. I have no leftover food laying around. I do weekly water changes to rid the tank of poop and other nasties. I keep a clean house, so why hire a maid.

I have no CUC. No need for one at this moment. No algae problem, the diatom I did have. I manually removed. Until, I have a need for one. I will manage without one. Don't get me wrong, they can help with your problem. But, that was not the original question. You did ask how long will it last. People have their reason for what they think is essential to keeping a reef tank. Some say, you must have a skimmer and sump. No, these are not essential. They are nice to have, but you can accomplish the same thing without one. So, let me clear myself here. Unless, you have the food source to support a CUC. Why waste good livestock (dead snails). I rather feed my fish, no more than whAt they need. I have no leftover food laying around. I do weekly water changes to rid the tank of poop and other nasties. I keep a clean house, so why hire a maid.
Even though my house is clean, it looks even better with maids keeping it that way, so I'll be using a CUC!

Even though my house is clean, it looks even better with maids keeping it that way, so I'll be using a CUC!

No problem, it's your house. You pay the bills, you can do as you like. Just remember the maid is off limits. No touchy touchy. Lol.

CUC will help manage the diatoms.. it won't stop the bloom.. I'm not sure anyone suggested that..
So waste of time? Guess that's a matter of opinion.
That's the first time i've ever heard adding a CUC is a waste of time...for whatever reason...

Like everything with this hobby...he says white, i say black, you can pick purple!

I'm reading that tiger cucumbers eat diatoms.. But don't get rid of them like Minn said.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+502+712&pcatid=712

Last edited:
Back