How much money have you spent on your main tank?

gowebster

Just wondering how much this hobby is going to cost me over time...im 5G in on my 500gal and it makes me cry sometimes..but i love it and its addicting..:eek:

5K on a 500gal. your getting off easy..... i have put three times that into half the tank size, and it makes me cry all the time!!! LOL

yeah but im not done yet..it scare me ...yeah i know that much money and it looks like have done very little..thats what worries me lol

About 2300 so far for me, but I don't have a lot of the corals yet that I want. I decided to teach myself patience while I was doing this and so have gone very very very very very slowly. Bout time to change that I think.

who cares, it's worth it :D

Putting a price on something you love takes some of the fun out of it!

I gave up adding things up at around $20K... my goal is to keep the price of my tank at less than that of my truck. (I'm sure at some point this will change to the cost of my house)

I had about 3 or 4 grand in a 75g a few years ago and am now starting back up with 4 grand in a 180g that my sister probably dropped close to 20 grand in. Her husband was glad to see me take it out of their house last week. The larger the tank the more everything is going to cost, that is why it is best to oversize your equipment to start with so you can move it with you in the event you decide to go up to a larger tank.

I forgot to mention that she is letting me make payments broken down over 18 months so it doesn't hurt so much!

Last edited:
I don't like to spend too much on myself. My last tank, a 280 gal acrylic, cost me less than $1,500 not including fish and coral.

My new tank is another used tank. It's a 350ish acrylic, cost $2,000 with the stand, hood, lights, sump, return pump and plumbing. I will be purchasing more live rock and slowly add more fish.

Oh and I like soft corals, less equipment and operating costs so this helps keep my cost down as well.

i hate threads like this, but ill play..

old 360 gallon..stopped counting at 15k, and that was with building the tank myself
new 180 cube..i think i have about 7k in it right now and its only 3/4 of the way stocked.

I gave up adding things up at around $20K... my goal is to keep the price of my tank at less than that of my truck. (I'm sure at some point this will change to the cost of my house)

This sounds all to familiar.

BTW, if you've got 5G into a 500gal you're doing great. My display tank is a 550 and yesterday's trip to the LFS for coral cost me more than that.

The tanks almost 3 months old now

P1010613.jpg

I stopped counting somewhere around 5k. It ruins the hobby for me if I worry too much about what I have spent. If I have the money to buy something for the tank, I buy it.

It seems to me if you ever sit down and figure it up... You probably don't have enough to be in this hobby... LOL So I've been told....

sounds like a rich mans hobby to me...wow 20g in a 500 gal.. i got long road ahead...lol..o well i really enjoy it..thats what life is suppose to be about...cant take it with ya.spend it

Back