How often do you feed?

Ajilon

How often and what time of day do you feed your fish and corals?
I'm trying to decide on a schedule and was wondering what works best.
Also, do you rotate foods? One day I'll feed brine and the next day I'll feed mysis.

Some say feed them everyday, others say feed them every other day. Depends on how good your filtration is. Yes rotate the food. Try to get them used to flakes and pellets.

try to feed at least 2 times a day, 1 at morning and 1 at evening.
and always rotate ur food so fishes don't get bore out, how would you like to have pizza on every single meal?
thats what I thought, and if you have tangs always have
seaweed so they can gaze on.

A variety of foods is good ,live brine shrimp are good to stimulate feeding but have little nutritional value . How often you feed depends on your livestock ,I have anthias so I feed 4 times daily my six line wrasse hunts the liverock all day and ignores my feedings . Smaller feedings more often come closer to how they feed in a natural environment and a higher percentage of the food gets eaten. Just remember your fish will always act hungry and it is better to under feed than over feed,look at thier bellies if they are sunken you should increase your feeding.
Best of luck , Lee

I usually feed flake or pellet in the morning and something frozen in the evening. I have just about everything in my tank, including sun coral, so nighttime feeding is inevitable. I toss in some algae on a clip in the afternoon for the tangs. If I forget a feeding, they ALL let me know about it.

I feed every other day. Like stated it is best to under feed, than over feeding.

I put algae sheets in daily for my yellow tang. My wrasse and Clown pick at it aswell, and sometimes my chromis... It's wierd, like a herbivore tank.... :)

I also agree with giving them a variety of food. I rotate with Formula One, Mysis, Angel formula, and Prime Reef.

Fish still have fat bellies and are healthy...

Brad

I feed my puffer every other day, and others twice a day. I usually feed them when I get home from work at 3pm, and around 8pm. Always switch up the food, and include vitamins, and fat sups.

I feed every couple days. Maybe 4 times a week. An established tank doesn't need so many feedings.

I don't starve my fish, but I basically feed when I want to. Usually at night once a day or every other day.

Many coral and fish like regular feeding. Feeding more often like 2 or 3 times a day and useing a mix of flake and frozen is best. You would want to feed them less like what they can eat in 1 or 2 min.This allows for happier healthy stock with less food being watsed and less waste being added. Coral need a good supply of food passing by there poylps for greater chance of capture . Not sure how a more mature tank means less food. If you keep the feeding consitant then coral will reproduce much better as there food source is there. If the food source is low then coral will frow slow or even reduce there size for better chance of survival.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673470#post12673470 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
I feed every couple days. Maybe 4 times a week. An established tank doesn't need so many feedings.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673564#post12673564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Many coral and fish like regular feeding. Feeding more often like 2 or 3 times a day and useing a mix of flake and frozen is best. You would want to feed them less like what they can eat in 1 or 2 min.This allows for happier healthy stock with less food being watsed and less waste being added. Coral need a good supply of food passing by there poylps for greater chance of capture . Not sure how a more mature tank means less food. If you keep the feeding consitant then coral will reproduce much better as there food source is there. If the food source is low then coral will frow slow or even reduce there size for better chance of survival.

In an established tank, there is much more to graze on. Feeding multiple times a day is not necessary. You reach a point and you are just fouling your water.

I feed Nori daily. A small bit of pe mysis every other day. Ground PE mysis with DT phyto every 2 or 4 days for acans duncans and others.

I am not expert, but the PE Mysis has 70% protein others say much less. I think it is worth the extra money, and reduces the bioload while keeping you fish healthy.

In a FOWLR tank with only omnivores this might be fine for algea control but any carnivores would be unhappy and some omnivores would like a better balance of food , coral cant graze so this would mean much less food source for them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673902#post12673902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
In an established tank, there is much more to graze on. Feeding multiple times a day is not necessary. You reach a point and you are just fouling your water.

Re: How often do you feed?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12671832#post12671832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ajilon
How often and what time of day do you feed your fish and corals?
I'm trying to decide on a schedule and was wondering what works best.
Also, do you rotate foods? One day I'll feed brine and the next day I'll feed mysis.

As for feeding the corals, it really depends on what type of corals -- I have never directly fed any of my corals except for one. The only one that I fed directly is my acan, the others; SPS and zoas aren't.

As for fish, depends on what type of fish. Herbivores might have to be fed more often -- depending on the amount of algae in the tank. Predatory carnivores can/should go a couple of days b/t feedings. If you have some high metabolism fish, Anthias come to mind, you are going to have to feed them a couple of times a day.

Brine as a regular part of the diet isn't the best idea, unless you are raising them and gut loading them. But a mix of different frozen foods is a good idea. I use Spectrum pellets for dry food. I personally don't care for flake food -- higher in phosphates then other options.

jesus.... people feed their tanks so much! I feed my tank twice a week, IF that. I make about 20 mL of mixed stuff, brine, cyclopese, vhp, baby brine, spirulina flakes, and a mix from the lfs. I usually do it later in the day, usually when Halides turn off and it's only actinics. This will eliminate some of the left overs by allowing night prowling scavengers to get right on it before it rot.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674264#post12674264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
In a FOWLR tank with only omnivores this might be fine for algea control but any carnivores would be unhappy and some omnivores would like a better balance of food , coral cant graze so this would mean much less food source for them.

You are kidding yourself if you think flake food or 99% of your frozen food makes it to your coral. Try cutting back on your feeding, and see how much better your tank looks after a couple weeks. The only coral I would deliberately feed would be sun polyps.

Feed my 9 we'll 8 now:( as I had a jumper last nite sometime, every nite around 8pm and yes changeup the food. I give flake and pellets every nite and rotate different frozen .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673902#post12673902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507

I agree. every tank is different, but established tanks can feed themselves. The fish can graze algae in the tank, eat pods, even eat the crabs.... an established tank creates its own phtyo (unless your super skimming...) so the corals are fed.... I feel the same as above, at a certain point, additional fedings only foul the water

Back