How often do you put your hands in your tank?

Right now I have my hands in there constantly, however I am in the Cycling(changing my rockscape stage)..I have looked in to getting gloves, tongs, what have you so that i don't have my hands in there when I do get inhabitants, but that would only be fore things that could sting me..other than that I would not worry about putting my hands in there..

I have just had to put my arm in the water unexpectedly after realising that my lobophyllia touched and stung one of my acans. Arrrgggh.

Pretty often. Bare handed. The only thing that makes me want to get gloves is the fact that my female clown likes to bite.

Maybe once a month, no gloves--let nature take it's course. If there's a strand of HA hanging off an acro or a hermit munching some polyps--I say let it be--i'll get it off next WC in 3 wks.

I try to keep my hands out of my tank as much as possible.

OK, I'll give you a serious answer.

Unless you've recently changed the oil on your car, barehanded. Used a nice scented hand lotion, cleaned the bathroom with a solvent based cleaner, barehanded. Put on sunscreen or reached for the gas pump. Been in the jacuzzi at the local Spa, showered with soap or washed your hair that has anything that smells good in it. Just rinse and wring you hands under hot water. Scrubbing them together to remove the skin we slough off daily and you'll be good to reach for that frag or scrub the glass to your heart's content.

If you've done any of the things above or similar wear gloves to cover any part of your skin that'll be in the water.

every day, barehanded , as stated in previous post in here tangs gota eat lol, ive never an issue because of it.

Last edited:
Normally I will do it every day, but sinds my female clownfish become very aggressive and biting me all the time......I don't want to put my hand in the tank anymore , but have to do it once a week for maintenance .

Wow more responses than I was expecting. Didn't think most of you guys put your hands in that often. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shy about doing it, it just seems I can accomplish most of the day-to-day work with tools. I feed with a magnetic algae clip and a turkey baster too so even feeding is pretty hands free. Thanks for the insight

He he. I put my fingers in twice a day to feed my fish too, but the OP's question was about putting your hands/arms to tinker with your tank.

I wonder what the OP original intention was. I took it as everyday because of feeding as well.

I'm constantly tinkering around in my tank. Everyday. I'm actually thinking of getting one of those clear windowscreen covers, not so much to keep fish in as to deter me from poking around in there all the time. Always a bit of algae to remove, or something to tweak, or to hand feed the shrimp.....

Everyday for one reason or another. Sometimes I wash my hands first if Ive been using any chemicals I.e. gas ,WD40 or such.
It raises heck with my skin sometimes so I rinse really well after each time

About every other day. I hand feed some corals, and while i'm in there i'll hand feed my big Clown fish, and feed some nori to the tangs,along with the cleaner shrimp...because I like too, it's a bonding moment for me. I do get out when my Crazy Hippo gets excited though, "once bitten twice shy"...lesson learned. First wash my hands, no soap, then I dip them in the sump just to get the saltwater balance right on my skin...if that means anything Lol'

Yes, right after I wash my hands,arms...that saltwater will get ya.

Back