How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor.

numatics/ASCO 411 solenoid
also call HS/LS series miniature solenoid.
about $90 a piece retail.
These miniature solenoid are FR 430 stainless steel structure.

The seller Ishop-360 is another guru that build aquarium co2 systems from 2013, he has some good parts available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-New-SS-...262333?hash=item421215d57d:g:iaMAAOSw65hexy27

there are some other good stainless steel solenoids too, but rare or higher price than the burkert stainless steel 6011.

numatics/ASCO 411 solenoid
also call HS/LS series miniature solenoid.
These miniature solenoid are FR 430 stainless steel structure.

The seller Ishop-360 is another guru that build aquarium co2 systems from 2013, he has some good parts available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-New-SS-...262333?hash=item421215d57d:g:iaMAAOSw65hexy27

there are some other good stainless steel solenoids too, but rare or higher price than the burkert stainless steel 6011.

That solenoid looks good, one question, what kind and where can I find a manifold (Stainless Steel) for this solenoid?

Clippard make single station manifolds for their miniature solenoid valve, the manifolds are chrome plated brass, the one we use is 1/8 npt inlet/outlet verion, part number 15490-5.
And there is interesting history about this particular manifold, the 15490-5. The existence of this manifold all due to the credit of a young highschool kid, his name is Niel. Started from Rex Grigg(also design the Rex Grigg reactor), for many years a lot DIY hobbyists on TPT had been trying to build good co2 system with clippard mouse solenoids because its small size, low flow, high life cycle and extremely low power consumption, but this solenoid can only be connected through the air hose, because there was no 1/8 npt inlet/outlet ports manifold from clippard. Back in 2011-2012 I had to make custom manifold with metal drill and tap, Niel got into the DIY and heard my complain and he sent clippard an email asking for a new manifold, then the 15490-5 was born.

Numatics/ASCO also make the single station manifold, in 6061 aluminum, not popular and price double of the clippard 15490-5.

Other than that, I don't think the single station stainless steel manifold are available from any major producers, it has to be custom made.
It is because there is no point making such single manifold in stainless steel, a stainless steel solenoid with the certain connection type inlet/outlet block is all that is needed, such as a burkert 6011.
check Ishop-365's ebay store, he offer stainless steel burkert 6011 too.

Anyway, there is a small market for multi-station stainless steel manifold, and I built this system with a 316SS two station manifold from a lucky ebay purchase, see the picture. I believe this two station manifold block is a custom made by Beswick engineering.

5vuqC7jl.jpg

HfDag1Rl.jpg

ZPTNlNXl.jpg

have to use the clippard 15490-5, if you want to connect the miniature solenoids through pipe fittings.

and there are about five major producers making the 10-32 screw mounted type miniature solenoids, they are clippard, numatics/Asco, Kip, Predyne/Gems, SMC. Only the numatics/Asco and SMC make the stainless steel miniature solenoid, SMC miniature is hard to find because not popular.

Interesting story, I was trying to find one of those 15490-5 in stainless steel but what a shame that they don't exist.

So now with the real question, how bad is gonna be mixing stainless steel tubing with this chrome plated brass, will it affect in the middle/long term?

Now I see why clippard solenoids (and related) are not popular in this thread.

Yes I saw that solenoid https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-Burkert...462279?hash=item421a4356c7:g:EuEAAOSw90le19t5

but is not brand new (minor issue) and is only 42 PSI, my CO2 low is 100 PSI, so in other words if I have to do leak tests, I have to remove the solenoid, that's annoying because you have to check tubing leaks again.

Last edited:
Not as good as 316 stainless steel, but the chrome plated from clippard actually works ok for saltwater environment.
The plated layer is not the shinny type chrome, it is for chemical reaction/corrosive prevention. The clippard manifold can withstand much harsher conditions, same as clippard mouse solenoid.

Stainless steel fitting works ok with clippard manifold.

Clippard mouse solenoid is not popular here, I think because carbon doser use it?

Interesting story, I was trying to find one of those 15490-5 in stainless steel but what a shame that they don't exist.

So now with the real question, how bad is gonna be mixing stainless steel tubing with this chrome plated brass, will it affect in the middle/long term?

Now I see why clippard solenoids (and related) are not popular in this thread.

Yes I saw that solenoid https://www.ebay.com/itm/SS-Burkert...462279?hash=item421a4356c7:g:EuEAAOSw90le19t5

but is not brand new (minor issue) and is only 42 PSI, my CO2 low is 100 PSI, so in other words if I have to do leak tests, I have to remove the solenoid, that's annoying because you have to check tubing leaks again.

let me see I can find you a good solenoid on ebay, it must be new and stainless steel, right?

Not as good as 316 stainless steel, but the chrome plated from clippard actually works ok for saltwater environment.
The plated layer is not the shinny type chrome, it is for chemical reaction/corrosive prevention. The clippard manifold can withstand much harsher conditions, same as clippard mouse solenoid.

Stainless steel fitting works ok with clippard manifold.

Clippard mouse solenoid is not popular here, I think because carbon doser use it?

I think is because of the manifold and because is not SS, the carbon doser uses it, but that's pretty much the only good piece of hardware that carbon doser uses, the rest is junk.

Thanks for the advice on the materials of the clippard solenoid/manifold.

enb141,
there is question not related to the topic, how can you edit your post? I don't have edit option ...

Are you using desktop version? if so the edit button is in the same position of Quote button.

let me see I can find you a good solenoid on ebay, it must be new and stainless steel, right?

Yeah, Brand new, SS, 100 PSI, 1/8" female as in the clippard manifold, equal or less than 4 watts lol, maybe I'm looking for the perfect solenoid that doesn't exists.

I don't see any edit button on my... :(

it is 1/8 npt ports on the solenoid that we need, not 1/4 npt, because virtually all 1/4 npt solenoids are for higher flow rate, which means higher power consumption, high watts.

stainless steel, less than 4 watts and at least 100 psi, these solenoids do exist, but rare.

kip solenoid, 3 watts 316 stainless steel, 300 PSI MOPD.
(also have another kip solenoid, 1.5watts stainless steel, 500 PSI, no picture)
EnLJUJgm.jpg

SMC VDW22, 3 watts 316 stainless steel, 105 psi.
gnq227Qm.jpg

Burkert 2822, 2 watts 316 stainless steel, 87 psi
n5XkshWm.jpg

something I've been searching for years but no luck, it is a parker multimedia solenoid, the spec is 0.5 watts, stainless steel, 100 psi.

I don't see any edit button on my... :(

it is 1/8 npt ports on the solenoid that we need, not 1/4 npt, because virtually all 1/4 npt solenoids are for higher flow rate, which means higher power consumption, high watts.

stainless steel, less than 4 watts and at least 100 psi, these solenoids do exist, but rare.

kip solenoid, 3 watts 316 stainless steel, 300 PSI MOPD.
(also have another kip solenoid, 1.5watts stainless steel, 500 PSI, no picture)
EnLJUJgm.jpg

SMC VDW22, 3 watts 316 stainless steel, 105 psi.
gnq227Qm.jpg

Burkert 2822, 2 watts 316 stainless steel, 87 psi
n5XkshWm.jpg

something I've been searching for years but no luck, it is a parker multimedia solenoid, the spec is 0.5 watts, stainless steel, 100 psi.

Yeah is 1/8" I corrected it but you didn't get the correction.

Maybe edit button doesn't let you appear in your browser, I'm using chrome.

The closest one seems to ve the SMC VDW22, is that DC 24V or 110V AC?

Wow that parker sounds like the perfect solenoid ever built

Alan le is building me one in the next week. Suppose to be a really badarse one for my reef. Well see when I pic it up or get pics. Glad to join all of you with the carx

built a new set with the APtech stainless steel regulator..

APtech regulator, 0.5 watt burkert multimedia solenoid and a parker HR metering valve.
MOUMBn7l.jpg

LGZiMzil.jpg

This is my personal set, another APtech, built it back in 2013...
xGspuMEl.jpg

jT4WNM0l.jpg

You made me want to build another system. I have the same reg as yours. Still using the Brooks valve.
03e14cb00fceccb7942865ac75eb19a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back