How to keep an Idiot busy...150DD

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
Last time it was the piece of paper that said "How do you keep an Idiot busy for hours? flip over" and the other side said "How do you keep an Idiot busy for...."
Never mind I'm past that now.

I wanted a cube tank for the right aquascaping. I was gonna go 30x30. But I didn't wanna give up the 36'' I was used to on my 40 breeder. Ashley after seeing me buy several things twice because I didn't get exactly what I wanted the first time, she decided for me this was my last aquarium. So I went with the Marineland Deep Dimensions 150, not too small not too big.
So I bought the tank in July, filled the tank almost to the overflow and added a chromis and some liverock to get things going. Switched some water between the 2 tanks a couple times a week. This was a motivator for a bucketless water change setup.
Researched everything that would fit in the stand, which wasn't anything good and came to the conclusion I was gonna need a basement sump. Decided to use my old 75 gallon as a sump instead of keeping my 55 sump due to it restricting my skimmer choices.
Painted the basement floor and walls. Built a floor joist support, sump stand and ran a dedicated electrical circuit.
IMAG1059.jpg

The dog supervised

IMAG1084.jpg

After reading Swannys thread I wanted to up my carpentry skills and added the 1" trim around the doors. Kinda regret constantly skipping woodshop for hackysak and other recreational activities.
IMAG1234.jpg

I went with Waterblaster 10000 return pump. Teed off for carbon reactor, a 29 gallon mantis tank and another line to divert back to the sump. And of course a (future) line to the washsink for water changes. I used both drains in the overflow for a Herbie which is dead silent. I haven't measured but I think I'm in the 3-5 times turnover rate with a lot of the flow diverted. Still need to neaten up and cut the right acrylic covers.
IMAG1235.jpg

I got the reef octopus sro2000. Coming from a aquac remora what this pulls smells like death. I'm expecting either much better results or starving coral. I'll post more when I upload some photos.

wonderfully clean and organized... an example of something well thought out :)

great job with what you have shown us thus far :beer:

Nice work!

One thing I found with my basement sump was that the heaters really ran alot in the winter. As my basement will drop down into the low 60's high 50's. I'm not sure what kind of temperatures you'll see, but you may want to put a piece of foam insulation over the window. I also wrap both tanks with the foam insulation that is commonly used under siding. I'm not sure if it really helps, but I'd like to think it does.

awesome nice job.looks like the dog thought he had a new home.

Yeah he hung out there for 20 min or so. Now the wife wants that space for her storage. I kinda wanted to use it.

wonderfully clean and organized... an example of something well thought out :)
great job with what you have shown us thus far :beer:

Thanks. I did spend alot of time planning, almost 6 months. Glad it shows.

nice work man , i cant wait to stop in and see it in person . simply beautifull

Thanks

Nice work!

One thing I found with my basement sump was that the heaters really ran alot in the winter. As my basement will drop down into the low 60's high 50's. I'm not sure what kind of temperatures you'll see, but you may want to put a piece of foam insulation over the window. I also wrap both tanks with the foam insulation that is commonly used under siding. I'm not sure if it really helps, but I'd like to think it does.

Thanks, yeah I was getting concerned with that. 500 watts and I haven't seen the heaters off yet. It's already on the back and I added the left side. I was hoping cutting tight fitting acylic top covers would be enough but maybe I should wrap the whole thing before my first electric bill comes in.

Looking good Pat! Love the aquascaping. Nice mantis too, I gotta say its good to see him again in the pics lol

Thanks. yeah it's an awesome creature. I got a ID on it and it's not a peacock it's actually a Gonodactylaceus ternatensis which has no common name.

Looks awesome Patrick. Your patience and planning will pay off in the end.

Yeah I hope so, I gotta say other than bleaching some things (again) due to my own fault, everything is looking a lot better. My guess is the increase in flow.

Tank specs Marineland 150 deep dimensions 36x36x27
Sump 75 gallon resealed and baffled
29 gallon mantis tank
return pump Water Blaster 10000
Skimmer Super Reef Octopus SRO 2000
Flow 2-MP40's 100% antisync long pulse mode. It actually creates a pretty good reversing circular flow around the tank even though they're both on the back panel.
Lighting AI sol blues with a LET 2 bulb T5 retrofit
Heating Ranco controller and Jager heaters
Substrate Tropic Eden reeflakes and mini reeflakes. Very, very clean right out of the bag. Shoulda went with all reeflakes the mini move some.
Stand and canopy Didn't make it myself, but it was so easy to swipe the card. Stock marineland particle board.
TLF reactor Running rox 8 and nopox for po4
Dosing Spectrapure LM3 adding kalk for now until I need 2 part
Ato simple float switch running a aqualifter

The canopy opens up enough to work in the front of the tank. And I have the LEDS in the back t5's in the front. I had to do it this way due to the way the canopy opens. But I kinda prefer it with the way some of the coral look under different spectrums. Some of the orange acans are turning back to they're original red. But some are turning for the worse colorwise so I'll have to move them out of the t5 rays.
IMAG1243.jpg

IMAG1244.jpg

Looking good Patrick, cubes have always been my favorite but always so hard to execute on the scape.... Good job :)

hey quick search found a common name
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetail.asp?did=2&pid=1229&cid=84

orange spot mantis. was it a hitchhiker ?

Thanks Mike I hadn't looked too far. Not a hitchiker although I did have one once a few years ago. Fintastics had it as a pet but was willing to sell it. I posted pics on the mantis subforum after looking at Dr Roys webpage and saw he had no common name listed. He confirmed the id. I was gonna make the 29 a frag tank in a few years although now I may always have a mantis in there.

So a few changes and issues already. Aptasia were reproducing pretty quick so I moved all the lps into the mantis tank along with the t5s. The peppermint shrimp are cleaning them out pretty well. I tried to increase surface skimming by cutting the teeth off my overflow. This almost doubles the amount of surface area going over but I may need to change the location of my return and have it push towards the overflow to get a clean surface.
IMG_1441.jpg

I'm getting sunlight on the tank but it's 4 hours before my light period begins so I'm closing the blinds for now. Looks nice though.
I've teed the kalk line with the topoff line to hopefully rinse and slow the crusty buildup. Increased my dose from .9 to 1.3 liters per day
IMG_1523.jpg

I have a possum wrasse in QT. Kinda interesting to qt a fish. He went from very nervous and skittish to much more comfortable after a few weeks. Seems much more beneficial than I initially thought.
IMG_1403.jpg
But the clowns are being very aggressive, kinda disappointed with them. Hope I don't have to remove them.

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Growth is picked up alot. It's either having a real skimmer or the flow.
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Some of the zoas could color up some, growing though.
IMG_1496.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup! Im in the process of setting up a 100g. Rimless with the same basement sump setup. Did you just drill holes in the floor or did you go in the wall?

Through the floor, try to drill the holes in only one or two floor boards so the future repair is easier Your welcome to stop over and see it. In hindsight I would have built the sump stand shorter so the mantis tank wasn't so high. And used a short piece of either spaflex or tubing out of the return pump before the pipe hangers. There is some vibration but its not too bad. And the pump did quiet down a lot after a few weeks. And I got one electric bill that was $50 higher than the last since the basement sump. And I don't know if that bill is a full 30 days with the tank up. Now its all wrapped in insulation but the 550 watts of heaters don't really shut off. I'm gonna cover some of the display tank's top to try to keep some heat in.

Back