How will the new CA mandates affect reefers in the state?

That's from Sept. of 2014. I got a letter 2 weeks ago.

Right. They can't fine you or make you water; we're in a state of emergency. They screwed up, unless your HOA is using recycled water which it probably is not.

"Also on Thursday, Brown signed Senate Bill 992, which prevents HOAs from imposing fines on residents who reduce or stop watering landscaping after the governor has declared a statewide emergency due to drought, as Gov. Brown did in January. The protections do not apply in HOA neighborhoods that use recycled water, according to the bill by Sen. Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber.

That law goes into effect immediately."

You are correct, it is funny how some use parts of a article to start something, they left out the one kid part which like immigration will never happen. We are a country of immigrants and that will never change. If you go back to what scientist said back in the early 70's you will read how they thought at that time the world was cooling?

Newsweek and Time Magazine published looming ice age articles in the 70's, which is where that entirely came from (not from scientific reports). Nearly all scientists, besides the few interviewed by Gwynne (Newsweek editor), did not believe that to be true. You (and a lot of others) got played by the media and you are still saying what they wanted you to in the 70s.

Climate change is agreed upon by the vast majority of scientists, the looming ice age of the 70's cry was not.

Newsweek and Time Magazine published looming ice age articles in the 70's, which is where that entirely came from (not from scientific reports). Nearly all scientists, besides the few interviewed by Gwynne (Newsweek editor), did not believe that to be true. You (and a lot of others) got played by the media and you are still saying what they wanted you to in the 70s.

Climate change is agreed upon by the vast majority of scientists, the looming ice age of the 70's cry was not.

There were also a few crackpots in the streets of Manhattan spouting about the coming ice age in the 70's :D The scientific literature on the other hand was talking about warming, even then.

There were also a few crackpots in the streets of Manhattan spouting about the coming ice age in the 70's :D The scientific literature on the other hand was talking about warming, even then.

And also in the 70's.....drum roll please....oil / fossil fuel would all be used up. Yet here we are.

I'd even wager cars are bigger and heaver.

And also in the 70's.....drum roll please....oil / fossil fuel would all be used up. Yet here we are.

I'd even wager cars are bigger and heaver.

Cars have gotten smaller and lighter. Thin sheet metal or fiberglass panels. The old cars had rather thick metal panels and heavy full frames ;)

BTW there is less oil now then there was in the 70's. It doesn't exactly renew on anything resembling a timescale useful to humans, hence the shift away from wells and to extraction from shale and fracking ;)

Cars have gotten smaller and lighter. Thin sheet metal or fiberglass panels. The old cars had rather thick metal panels and heavy full frames ;)

BTW there is less oil now then there was in the 70's. It doesn't exactly renew on anything resembling a timescale useful to humans, hence the shift away from wells and to extraction from shale and fracking ;)

I don't think the escalades, SUV, or pick up trucks would agree - and we both know that Americas number one selling vehicle is a truck.

Regarding what is available, I have no idea. I'm sure BP and other companies are trying to figure it out and have numbers. There is still so much of this world untapped or explored (Oceanic) that I can only fathom a guess. And just like you said the other technological processes that the EPA or environmentalists block muddies it.

Just split the state already and I'll be happy.

Side note - I was just going to ask you if you dive in California (avatar) but I see you are on the East coast ;) If you haven't, you should come out our way and hit up Monterey (if you haven't). May be a bit cold for you but it is some of the best diving in the world (personal opinion of course).

If you bring your own regs - just make sure they can handle the cold water ;)

I don't think the escalades, SUV, or pick up trucks would agree - and we both know that Americas number one selling vehicle is a truck.

Been driving cars and trucks for a few decades now, both old ones and new ones. ;) The new ones are by far lighter weight. They just don't make them as solid as they used too. Just try sitting on the hood of a current SUV or Truck without the hood flexing. My old '70 GMC 3/4 ton you could stand on the hood without it flexing ;)

Side note - I was just going to ask you if you dive in California (avatar) but I see you are on the East coast ;) If you haven't, you should come out our way and hit up Monterey (if you haven't). May be a bit cold for you but it is some of the best diving in the world (personal opinion of course).

If you bring your own regs - just make sure they can handle the cold water ;)

Grew up diving the NE Atlantic coast, right through December with water temps getting into the low 40's...in a wetsuit. At so long as the scallops held out to give me reason to deal with getting wet and putting up with the cold air post dive :D Definitely would go diving out your way if I find myself there. Though after the last few years of living in S. FL I'd probably have to breakdown and use a dry suit :lol:

Just try sitting on the hood of a current SUV or Truck without the hood flexing. My old '70 GMC 3/4 ton you could stand on the hood without it flexing ;)

I just helped my old man move a 3/4t 84' suburban out of the garage. The hood was super heavy. It took 2 of us to carry and another to mount the bugger. Even though the rockers were rusted, it certainly is a solid ride. They don't make them like they used to.

Getting back on topic, what is the minimal water change schedule recommended. Our area faces 40% cuts....

From an outsider looking in, I think it's safe to say Cali has an over abundance of regulations, but being that it is a coastal state why not just collect water from the Pacific if you live close enough? Or is that regulated too?

From an outsider looking in, I think it's safe to say Cali has an over abundance of regulations, but being that it is a coastal state why not just collect water from the Pacific if you live close enough? Or is that regulated too?

I'm two hours from the coast. Not very practical.

Getting back on topic, what is the minimal water change schedule recommended. Our area faces 40% cuts....

Don't flush for 1's, flush for 2's. Or reduce it to every other and you have already saved. Reduce shower time, you doubled again. Water lawn, just check sprinklers are good and on lawn, not walkways and adjust time. More water saved. Use a towel 3 times and hang to dry. List goes on.

You are not going to save much by not making soup for dinner or water changes unless you are doing 100 gallons weekly. Oh, if you are using RI/Ro, then reuse the waste for plants.

This isn't no where near as bad as the drought we faced in the 70's no matter how much the media says it is. Back then we added bleach to the toilets and didn't flush until it was overflown...your lawn was dead, and you used the towels for a week...

Yes not for everyone, but I assume, like most states, the population is concentrated on the coast.

Yes it is but the coastal 'towns' are quite large. Someone in LA could easily be an hour from the ocean.

Unless there is saltwater public access like at a public aquarium, it would be very difficult to get water from ocean to car.

I live 30 minutes from a marine lab that has a SW source open to the public. After considering gas, time and effort, it just doesn't make sense to get water from the ocean.

Don't flush for 1's, flush for 2's. Or reduce it to every other and you have already saved. Reduce shower time, you doubled again. Water lawn, just check sprinklers are good and on lawn, not walkways and adjust time. More water saved. Use a towel 3 times and hang to dry. List goes on.

You are not going to save much by not making soup for dinner or water changes unless you are doing 100 gallons weekly. Oh, if you are using RI/Ro, then reuse the waste for plants.

This isn't no where near as bad as the drought we faced in the 70's no matter how much the media says it is. Back then we added bleach to the toilets and didn't flush until it was overflown...your lawn was dead, and you used the towels for a week...

This drought is actually worse that the mid 70s drought measured by total precipitation over the drought period. AND the population is significantly greater now than in the 70s. The difference is that people aren't taking the same conservation measures that you recall doing in the 70s, which is why residential water use in LA county is down only 8 percent from last year. We need more dead lawns and unflushed toilets!! Lol

Wait, you mean some people wash their towels after one use?!

We have the low-flow toilets and I hate them. What's the point of having them use less water per flush if you have to flush them 3 times to actually get everything down?

Addit: as for using ocean water for changes, you're not going to find clean water anywhere near the coast by L.A. without taking a boat pretty far out. The water on the beaches is fine for swimming but I wouldn't put it in my tank or eat anything that lived in it.

Everyone seems to be freaking out from the "new" cuts, but we've been under mandatory rationing for over a year now. You'd be amazed at what a difference just watering your yard twice a week makes, HUGE. We've made a few sensible changes, re-using R/O waste, not running water when washing dishes, bucket in the shower till it warms up, "if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down". We've been able to stay under the requirements without letting our yard die. Now if we were in one of the 50% cut areas...

Back