I performed Fish Surgery on my Coral Beauty

I had a freshwater fish that had an eye plucked out by a bigger fish. somehow he grew another eye over the next month or so. I had no idea they could do that. The fish was a young Oscar.

dosing anaesthesia on a fish and being sure he'd wake up wouldn't be easy, imho.

I have performed surgery on fish. I had an veiltail angel (freshwater) that got badly mauled...lost every fin but a shred of tail and a stub of sidefin, but he was fighting to live---I helped him as best I could, and he got upright and began swimming---and eating by the next day. When his fins grew back, however, they grew back clumped and twisted so that he had difficulty swimming. I made a decision, removed the fish from water, spread each fin on a popsicle stick to see it clearly, and used a single strong razor cut to trim the fin back to a straight section. I then put him into a medicated tank for a bit until the regrowth started. He always had a mild 'ripple' at the start point of the injury, but the fins grew in clean this time, and his quality of life was much better. I'm sure it hurt a bit: but I moved fast, having it planned, and had him back in medicated water very fast---plus using a different blade on each cut, my best answer for sterility on that scale. He lived a long time after that.

I had a yellow tail damsel that lost an eye violently somehow when I wasn't looking. (lost a fight with somebody).

He struggled to eat for a few days because he clearly couldn't see properly, but he figured that out and lived with one eye for another 9 years. (He was 13 when he died) The wound smoothed right over and became blue coloured like the rest of him. No eye-patch required!

I think that's what is happening to Pop-Eye. His wound will probably be blue/purple and scale over.

I have actually cured Pop Eye on fish dozens of times in my tank and wholesalers tanks, never had to remove the eye though.
I just put the fish in a net and insert the needle in the tissue between the eye and the skin, not in the eye which may be why it's eye "died"
You pull back on the plunger and the eye goes back where it was supposed to be in a second. The entire procedure lasts about 5 seconds.
If your eye was hanging out and a doctor said he could give you an injection that would cure you in 5 seconds, would you say, hell no, it may hurt, I like my eye hanging out?

this is about the dumbest thing i ever heard of. you want to be humane - what about local anesthesia. i know it is a fish, but they still feel pain

I personally do not feel they feel pain. I know they feel something but a fish is an animal that never die of old age, they are almost always eaten and eaten alive. Feeling pain would not be good for an animal that is going to be eaten alive. If that fish that he operated on was left in the sea, his fate would be to be eaten alive with no anesthetic. I eat fish every day, they always died in the hold of a ship from lack of water (oxygen) in other words they suffocated. That fate happens to hundreds of thousands of tons of fish each day. I have spent almost 300 hours underwater observing fish and I do feel kind of qualified to feel this way. I have seen sharks with their intestines hanging out going around in circles trying to eat their own guts. I have seen a hippo tang get his mouth ripped completely off by a triggerfish only to try to continue eating like nothing happened.
I have many times caught a fish in the sea and released it after tearing his mouth half off from the hook only to catch the same fish again in a few minutes.
If you believe in God, you would not not want fish to feel pain as their lives would be filled with it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14116875#post14116875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
I have actually cured Pop Eye on fish dozens of times in my tank and wholesalers tanks, never had to remove the eye though.
I just put the fish in a net and insert the needle in the tissue between the eye and the skin, not in the eye which may be why it's eye "died"
You pull back on the plunger and the eye goes back where it was supposed to be in a second. The entire procedure lasts about 5 seconds.
If your eye was hanging out and a doctor said he could give you an injection that would cure you in 5 seconds, would you say, hell no, it may hurt, I like my eye hanging out?

I personally do not feel they feel pain. I know they feel something but a fish is an animal that never die of old age, they are almost always eaten and eaten alive. Feeling pain would not be good for an animal that is going to be eaten alive. If that fish that he operated on was left in the sea, his fate would be to be eaten alive with no anesthetic. I eat fish every day, they always died in the hold of a ship from lack of water (oxygen) in other words they suffocated. That fate happens to hundreds of thousands of tons of fish each day. I have spent almost 300 hours underwater observing fish and I do feel kind of qualified to feel this way. I have seen sharks with their intestines hanging out going around in circles trying to eat their own guts. I have seen a hippo tang get his mouth ripped completely off by a triggerfish only to try to continue eating like nothing happened.
I have many times caught a fish in the sea and released it after tearing his mouth half off from the hook only to catch the same fish again in a few minutes.
If you believe in God, you would not not want fish to feel pain as their lives would be filled with it.

Wow Paul, I agree. My first intention as to relive the pressure from the eye, thus I did as you did through the side right at he edge of the socket. However, the eye itself was badly damaged and would not have shrunk back to its original size.This not the first time I have dealt with pop-eye and if I thought he would be ok by leaving him alone I would have. It was infected and would have probably caused him his life. I judged the infection of the eye to be causing him distress because he swam favoring that side of his body and generally stopped being active. After the surgery he has been nothing but active and well moving around and eating like a pig. At he LFS we sometimes get fish with pop eye from a sudden change in pressure when we get them from the Phillipines shipment/carribbean shipment. We have solved the problem using the needle before and puncturing and removing the pressure and built up. I removed the eye because it was badly damaged period. The fish we perform surgery on usually go into one of the display tanks in the store for ethics reasons.

Is there really no definite way to know whether they feel pain or not? I believe they do, but see more evidence that they don't. When I saw my puffer stuck in a power head by his fin, he didn't look very distressed besides that he was stuck. One I got him out he was acting completely normal and the fin grew back in a couple weeks.

I got a clown that got stung to holy hell in a RBTA before it accepted him. I think he got stung within inches of his life lol. But he got in.

Back