I performed Fish Surgery on my Coral Beauty

Impressive... Great job.... I stepped on a nail once that went completely through my foot. It hurt like a #!@ ^% & $!#%& to take it out but I was glad I did. No anesthetics. Went to the ER to get a Tetnus booster and that was it. For animals and humans alike pain sometimes happens. We survive. Like Mat167 said... it is only recently that anesthetics have been around. As screwed up as that eye was it was probably a relief to have it removed. Like a badly infected tooth being taken out. IMO...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14109514#post14109514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mat167
General anesthetics are a relatively new application and local anesthetics are even more recent. While in ancient times there were several isolated instances where herbs were to used numb the pain/put the patient to sleep, in general it wasn't a common practice until ether became popular in the mid 1800's. Usually it is credited to Dr. Crawford Long. Just trying to say that humans performed excruciating surgeries on others without (for the most part anyway) any effective method to reduce pain.

Didn't mean to be a bore, just saying =P.

Saying what? I don't know if what the OP did was humane or not but let's not propagate this type of reasoning.

"The authority bestowed by the virtue of antiquity should not relieve one of the obligation of critical thinking."

Yep.. clove oil or Finquel. I've seen it done once at a LFS successfully. Have never tried it myself.

I have used clove oil to sedate a zebra eel for surgery before. Very effective and wears off as soon as the fish is introduced to fresh salt water.

Pics Of the Lil guy!

Pics Of the Lil guy!

DSC_0158_resize_exposure.JPG

DSC_0160_resize_exposure.JPG

DSC_0161_resize_exposure.JPG

DSC_0182_resize_exposure.JPG

Last edited:
I have an Anthias that had a HUGE pop eye - I assume it was caused by an injury as I've had him for a long time. The eye looked really bad for 1 1/2 weeks then it gradually went down. That was 2 months ago and there have been no problems since.
I hope your fish recovers.

he is doing great! active swimming all over I removed the foam from one of the baffles in my sump and hes been swimming all over happ as can be. I hope he is well enough to make it into the display shortly.

Sick pics, I hope she stays well. She truely is a pretty one. Great job by you if she makes it, Im rooting for her & you!!

i think i would have let the eye be and let nature take its course

theres just something sicko about what i just read and see and it makes me feel uneasy.....

We have used clove oil repeatedly to sedate customers' puffers before dremmeling overgrown teeth. It does almost instantly wear off when you put the fish into fresh saltwater.

Do you have pics of the fish before you did this? My 6 line had a pretty bad case which i treated with rallys and it was almost gone in 2 days and totaly gone in a week. I also accidently crushed him removing rock and setting on towl on floor. He was on floor under rock for like 5 min and his same eye got smashed. I did the same treatment and he's all good once again.

He looks like the second terminator, you know, right after he takes a bullet and has a huge hole in him. Poor fish, I feel bad for him, even if he is in a better state than originally was.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14107837#post14107837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bgcook
this is about the dumbest thing i ever heard of. you want to be humane - what about local anesthesia. i know it is a fish, but they still feel pain. i have a 5 in maroon clown that has gotten pop eye a couple of times. it goes away. it usually occurs with a small injury to that eye. i perform procedures on real people everyday and even the simpliest i couldn't imagine not using at least local. i bet this fish is dead in a week.

people like you make me sick

Well, you will have to post a step by step so there will be no more DIY info out there. Be very descriptive of the smallest detail so we can anylize the info. The next time someone has to do this, they could make a few adjustments to the proceedure depending on individual circumstances if needed. :)

Pop-Eye was alive and well this morning for his morning feeding. They eye cavity is now clear of any dead pieces and has colored over a skin/white color neatly over the cavity. No Infection seems to have taken place. More research last night told me that the eye will not ever grow back but in an aquarium where competition for food is not as great as in the wild he should live a long healthy life. Pop-Eye is doing well and eating just fine. I moved him to my fuge where he could gorge himself on pods and worms and other stuff. DIY Procedure? ME? lol. I think that would probably be better left to one of the the vets that are on the board. I claim to be no expert and while I did what I think was right for him others feel I should have left him be and let it play out even if that meant he went to fishy heaven. In either case Pop-Eye is on track to take one more trip into the display tank next week once he is out of the ICU. Right now he is getting physical therapy and I'm teaching him braille. :)

Regarding a "Patch"

Pop-Eye has expressed his opinion about the patch stating that the scar will help him attract "The Ladies"

Back