Is this still a place where new hobbyist can get friendly advice?

sea witch1

I notice at times that some members are less than polite when responding to question and/or comments that dont fall in line with the OP's concern. This is true whether they are a new hobbyist or a more seasoned reef keeper. I understand that this is by-far a male driven interest.. You can tell this by the increasing price of coral and the need to "1 up each other on who has the latest, greatest, crazy named piece of coral" .... Some marketing genius in that I might add.
It sometimes comes across as 'You are so stupid" and "I am so smart". Now let me hurry up and tell you alllllllllll the ways this is true.

When did efforts to shame people become part of reefkeeping.

Short answer is yes. But it's best to listen to only a few people. Only listen to people who take the time to ask you questions about your specific system or needs.

You're free to pm me any questions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Short answer is yes. But it's best to listen to only a few people. Only listen to people who take the time to ask you questions about your specific system or needs.

You're free to pm me any questions.

Thanks... can I mention a small factor.... You are probably a great resource to reefers.. but I notice that although you have been on RC since 2005... you like myself must do a lot more looking and reading than commenting. It's the members with 1000 post of negativity that are making this hobby somewhat snobbish... just because one has learned how to do something well does not mean other aspects of one's character are not a factor.
You see their comments all through numerous post so they become a familiar member. But perhaps are not the best resource.. thank you for pointing out that one should be careful of whom they seek out information.
Thank you so much for your response as well as your knowledge. You are appreciated

I think most responses I see are helpful and friendly. As hobbies go, I think we are in over that gets a lot of support from the community.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To be honest, most of my reef discussions are via text and pm with reefers I trust to give solid advice.

Posting questions on forums have never really given me great results but definitely have helped me look at things I might have missed..

If you have to navigate through 100 idiots to find a good reefing buddy, it's worth it. There are LOTS of good people on here.

I think most responses I see are helpful and friendly. As hobbies go, I think we are in over that gets a lot of support from the community.

Yes I've certainly received the help I have needed in the past. Whether or not I responded or was the OP.
But, IJS, it didnt come without reading some comments that were in poor choice
Thank you. It could be of course that I am being overly sensitive....

Likes any community there will always be a few snarky comments. Sometimes people are in a bad mood or some are sarcastic. Also, sometimes someone might just be kidding around, but the tone doesn't carry over in writing.
It's just the hazards of the internet.

Likes any community there will always be a few snarky comments. Sometimes people are in a bad mood or some are sarcastic. Also, sometimes someone might just be kidding around, but the tone doesn't carry over in writing.
It's just the hazards of the internet.

Excellent point! Thank you.

I try to help when I can, with that said I always have something I need to tinker with on my system. Success is only a percentage game and the most expensive Frags do not always do well. Somethings thrive, while others decline, and this can flip flop at times. I tend to keep in the back of my mind that everything can go in the next power outage and I need to be ready to start over when that day comes. Sharing with friends and getting your favorite pieces in stable systems helps you rebuild and I do not like all the Hype yet have bought into it at times. The Torch craze has my mind boggled and if or when Indo opens back up you will see prices fall so be careful what you are willing to pay for a coral.

I got a bit off topic, but I do understand your frustrations and I as well sometimes wonder If people read before they post rude comments.

This is from someone who was green 10 years ago, be careful and research advice, you may be getting it from someone who does not even have living coral. I wish there was a grading system where we could grade advice to know if it is good or bad because there is plenty of both on these boards.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby, I am currently fighting a few problems, taking out the decline and freeing up some space as my SPS is shading many zones of my reef. I did pick up a expensive fish and the Bandit is awesome so far and is getting along with everyone.

I have several fish in my quarantine system ready to go in the tank, but have to catch a couple fish I have voted out of tank first. I have a breeding pair of Gen 1 Lightning clowns that both bite, but lay eggs every few weeks that I will donate to a clown breeder if anyone knows someone breeding clowns at this time.

Happy Sunday!

Enjoy your tank and

I try to help when I can, with that said I always have something I need to tinker with on my system. Success is only a percentage game and the most expensive Frags do not always do well. Somethings thrive, while others decline, and this can flip flop at times. I tend to keep in the back of my mind that everything can go in the next power outage and I need to be ready to start over when that day comes. Sharing with friends and getting your favorite pieces in stable systems helps you rebuild and I do not like all the Hype yet have bought into it at times. The Torch craze has my mind boggled and if or when Indo opens back up you will see prices fall so be careful what you are willing to pay for a coral.

I got a bit off topic, but I do understand your frustrations and I as well sometimes wonder If people read before they post rude comments.

This is from someone who was green 10 years ago, be careful and research advice, you may be getting it from someone who does not even have living coral. I wish there was a grading system where we could grade advice to know if it is good or bad because there is plenty of both on these boards.

Good luck and enjoy the hobby, I am currently fighting a few problems, taking out the decline and freeing up some space as my SPS is shading many zones of my reef. I did pick up a expensive fish and the Bandit is awesome so far and is getting along with everyone.

I have several fish in my quarantine system ready to go in the tank, but have to catch a couple fish I have voted out of tank first. I have a breeding pair of Gen 1 Lightning clowns that both bite, but lay eggs every few weeks that I will donate to a clown breeder if anyone knows someone breeding clowns at this time.

Happy Sunday!

Enjoy your tank and

Awesome. thank you for your advice... sounds like your in a comfortable place with this whole thing. Much success in your future reefing. Have a wonderful day

Unfortunately, the internet is like that. People can be rude and will write things they would never say to a person's face directly.

OTOH, if you venture out into the world wide interwebs, it's best if you grow a thick skin. Anonymous people on the internet only have the power to upset you if you allow it.

Kevin

Yeah, there are a lot arrogant and ego-driven people in this hobby (and many others) and the internet gives them power that maybe they lack in other parts of their lives? Overcompensate much?:rolleyes:
But if you sift through the threads, you'll find that certain people always have a calm and helpful response to the topic at hand and are willing to help in a respectful way. I simply don't engage with those people/hobbyist, it's just not worth the effort and always goes sideways. I just saw a post about a lighting controller that someone posted on another forum and it quickly turned into a debate about which light is better and the other light is crap. The OP was simply asking about a schedule for their lights using the controller.
I've often sent hobbyist pm's in regards to their post, just to avoid the ego-traffic. I myself, like to meet people face to face, which is why I've driven to OC several times, just to hang out at backyard frag swaps and chat about the hobby. And driving from the valley to OC on a Saturday, well, is pretty much the worse thing you can do. :hmm3: But, it's well worth the drive to hang with like minded people and talk about a hobby/passion that I really enjoy.
We're here, the patient, the mighty few, the old school guard of reef keeping, ready to chat and enjoy the hobby.

I think you'll get better advice here than FB groups. FB groups are the worst. Everyone in those groups are experts and if you dare challenge any of the "experts" they'll keyboard shame you.

Just ask solitude if u need advice - he’s a pro

We also have a sgv reefer group - everyone there is super nice and helpful. Last guy that watched my tank while I was away for a week fed my fishes and also cleaned my glass.

Back