Jackson's 115 Gallon Custom Cube 32x32x26

Glad u have it stable buddy ,, tank still looks amazing but I did get to see it about 8 months ago and it was a amazing system !!!! It will b back in no time Rich .

One of these days I hope to see it too. So many amazing tanks in this area... I was lucky like that in south FL too. If you guys have seen Dace's tank, you know what I'm taking about. His tank and corals are craaaazy

+1 Tank still looks awesome as it looked before.

Thanks, I hope to get that super healthy look to every coral in the tank again. Colors are a little faded and some corals are still growing over recession. The cyano blankets everything every few days also:sad2:

No tank thread, but will start one when new tank arrives. Really enjoy seeing your photo's and video's. Glad to see you are back on track.
Thanks

Glad to hear everything is turning around, tank looks great to me. :)

Thanks buddy

Glad u have it stable buddy ,, tank still looks amazing but I did get to see it about 8 months ago and it was a amazing system !!!! It will b back in no time Rich .

Thanks :) If it's not where I want it to be by the winter time, there will be major renovation ;)

I'm not just saying this rich,tank still looks awesome:beer:

Thanks, but you know how it is when you look at your own tank. I see all the negative things mostly :)

Tank still very nice. Hope things progress nicely from here on. :beer:

Thanks Sahin. I am going to try to combat this cyano with a higher dosage of bacteria. Dosing, MB7, biodigest, and special blend for the last week. No change yet but polyp extension has exploded. What are your thoughts on the cyano?

random question what color stain did you use on your stand?

I think it was black walnut.

Glad to see you back Rich!

Thanks Tom. Good news is that the tenuis is fine (lost a little color), and I still plan on getting a piece in your tank. I skimmed through your thread quickly at work and WOW!!!! you have a load of coral lol. I have to read closely though it when I get a chance.

Sorry to hear about all the issues bud. Tank looks good still hope everything is under control.

Thanks Sahin. I am going to try to combat this cyano with a higher dosage of bacteria. Dosing, MB7, biodigest, and special blend for the last week. No change yet but polyp extension has exploded. What are your thoughts on the cyano?

Bacterial imbalance. I got cyano in my tank some months back. I just upped the water changes and let the tank re-adjust.

Did you stop dosing your bacteria?

Did you change up the chemical filtration in any way? eg reduced frequency of GAC replacement?

Has the PO4 to NO3 ratio changed significantly? In the past I've noticed cyano to appear when either one has changed from its usual range.

Bacterial imbalance. I got cyano in my tank some months back. I just upped the water changes and let the tank re-adjust.

Did you stop dosing your bacteria?

Did you change up the chemical filtration in any way? eg reduced frequency of GAC replacement?

Has the PO4 to NO3 ratio changed significantly? In the past I've noticed cyano to appear when either one has changed from its usual range.

I did for a while and upped the water changes, the reaction was poor. Cyano exploded and stn continued. I have since stopped doing water changes, starting dosing a load of bacteria, and lowered and maintained alk @ 7.7dkh. Dosing special blend, mb7, and biodigest probably at 2x the recommend dose lol.
So far the results are very positive. Cyano appears to be slowing down over the last few days, PE on SPS is ridiculous right now, all recession has stopped and is regrowing.

I think the main issue for me was that I stripped the tank since I wasn't feeding regularly, with an oversized BK skimmer, along with frequent water changes in an effort to 'correct' the problem. A week would go by before I saw any growth on the glass. I think keeping an alk from 9-10dkh with nutrient poor conditions was the main cause of the SPS issues. NO3 has been around 5-10ppm the whole time, po4 has been either 0.0-0-3 on the low range hanna meter. No chemical media has been used with any regularity.

Here's an example of the extreme PE
IMG_3968 by rich colombo, on Flickr

This tank is just so amazing. I will echo what sahin stated that when no3 and po4 are out of balance cyano can rear its ugly head. In my tank it happens when my nitrate dips too low. Dosing nitrate takes care of it within a few days. Sounds counter intuitive to dump nutrients when cyano is out of control, but it works. Not saying that's your reason, just something else it could possibly be.

I did for a while and upped the water changes, the reaction was poor. Cyano exploded and stn continued. I have since stopped doing water changes, starting dosing a load of bacteria, and lowered and maintained alk @ 7.7dkh. Dosing special blend, mb7, and biodigest probably at 2x the recommend dose lol.
So far the results are very positive. Cyano appears to be slowing down over the last few days, PE on SPS is ridiculous right now, all recession has stopped and is regrowing.

I think the main issue for me was that I stripped the tank since I wasn't feeding regularly, with an oversized BK skimmer, along with frequent water changes in an effort to 'correct' the problem. A week would go by before I saw any growth on the glass. I think keeping an alk from 9-10dkh with nutrient poor conditions was the main cause of the SPS issues. NO3 has been around 5-10ppm the whole time, po4 has been either 0.0-0-3 on the low range hanna meter. No chemical media has been used with any regularity.

Here's an example of the extreme PE
IMG_3968 by rich colombo, on Flickr

Hey Richard,
What is the name of that coral, if you have ID, I have the identical piece, with the exact same PE and growth structure.
Thanks.

wow,that's some nice "wigy" polyp extension rich!!
Really happy things are coming back nicely:beer:

This tank is just so amazing. I will echo what sahin stated that when no3 and po4 are out of balance cyano can rear its ugly head. In my tank it happens when my nitrate dips too low. Dosing nitrate takes care of it within a few days. Sounds counter intuitive to dump nutrients when cyano is out of control, but it works. Not saying that's your reason, just something else it could possibly be.

That is extremely interesting! I tested my no3 and it's somewhere between 2-5ppm which is the lowest it has been since I first setup the tank and had the initial cyano outbreak. What are you dosing to elevate nitrate? I'll give it a shot.

Hey Richard,
What is the name of that coral, if you have ID, I have the identical piece, with the exact same PE and growth structure.
Thanks.
That looks like ORA Chips because of the crazy PE and blue tips/corallite edges.
That was going to be my guess also. I had a chips in my 160 and it looked similar.

It's just a wild mariculture frag that I grew out. It's in the plana/deswalli family. Not really sure which one. Looks similar to the chips but no lineage to it, and IMO it's more densely branched.

Back