Join me for a strange one...

Here's a 1,400g plywood tank propped up to pour corner fillets:

woody051.jpg

Courtesy of user dnash on the fingerlakesreef forums.

WOW. That is exactly what I'm NOT up for. LOL

I did think of your corner filleting as soon as "sit it on a corner" came up.

Instead of putting it on edge why not get some thin strips of acrylic & tape them into the corners, creating a triangle in each corner. The fill the hole with WO.

Did that make sense at all?

The only acrylic triangular stock ( that I know of) is an extruded, low molwcular weight material. It does not glue up as pretty as joining all cell-cast materials ( which is what tanks are made with)

Instead of putting it on edge why not get some thin strips of acrylic & tape them into the corners, creating a triangle in each corner. The fill the hole with WO.

Did that make sense at all?

Hero, what teesquare said,

AND the fact that you can't generally find triangle that's 3/4", only 1/2" or smaller. Since my walls are 3/4" I want to use 3/4".

And, since I don't care about the looks because it will only the right rear corner, and completely covered in a rock panel, I won't bother with pesky triangles at all. I'll just use square.

I'll find some 3/4" stock somewhere and sic my router on it to make 3/4" x 3/4" smooth -cast- rod.

I don't understand how mere mortals are supposed to pull out a 320lb plastic box, (that has had seam delaminations while being handled with kid gloves), and balance it on those same seams while screwing with two part mixed chemicals.. I might as well walk to the moon right after DIY heart surgery on myself. :hmm4:

Thanks for the capillary point. :beer:

Why the concern for crazing here? None of the inside of the tank has ever been flame polished.. Just old acrylic shenanigans?

I have a little on both of my 300's. Both are 1/2" and well over 10 years old. I still don't worry about it.

As a side note, and often being considered a little stubbern or mad. I did this with both a 250 and a 300, and while I didn't do it on myself, I had 3 open heart surguries in the last year. Still working on the moon walk.

Do you have any small friends that like the smell of solvents. It might be able to get someone in there to do it in place. I would get a couple strong fans blowing on them, the fumes from just 16 are enough to leave you a bit loopy.

Not to change the subject too much but is your CL pump a 56j or c? I saw on the website you posted for mdm that they had adapters and was curious if that's what you did.

khaosinc; That's what I'll be doing.. :beer:

Not to change the subject too much but is your CL pump a 56j or c? I saw on the website you posted for mdm that they had adapters and was curious if that's what you did.

Mine is a 56J with a 56J extension on it. It appears that MDM uses them in their industrial line.

The adapters are not for C -> J they are simply to lengthen the shaft.

I'm not sure why they used them because they also then need a collar to extend the motor face flange.

Seems to me, if I was designing them, you could just ditch both extensions by mounting a pump with the proper molded set-back directly to the motor.

The one up side is that if the seal leaks in, say, a fuming nitric acid application the extension shaft would dissolve, not the motor shaft. Mine got some serious pits on its extension. I sanded it clean and painted it bright yellow. So if you look into the pump web you wonder, "what's that yellow thing?".

The only acrylic triangular stock ( that I know of) is an extruded, low molwcular weight material. It does not glue up as pretty as joining all cell-cast materials ( which is what tanks are made with)

I didn't explain it well enough. :p

What I mean is take a flat strip of acrylic & tape it along the seam so there's a gap that can be filled with WO instead of trying to put the tank on it's side & letting it run down the seam.

Here's your corner --> L\ <-- Acrylic. Tape it across it kinda like that.

Oh.. I see. Novel idea. I like it!

I'd like it a lot more if the piece was beveled to exactly mate up to the two walls. I don't see a way to do that.

I don't think I'm up for running a piece of 1/8" that's only an inch across thru a table saw with the blade over at 45 degrees. Grab and launch? :confused:

Band saw would likely be the least scary tool to use, assuming you have access to a fine enough saw with suitable table.

Luckless - bearing in mind of course, that the band saw - statistically - is the MOST likely tool in the shop to do you damage. Less scary sounding..? Sure...It lulls you into laziness.:sleep:

I have several friends in cabinet shops that can attest to the bite, and with some - the "abbreviation capabilities" of the band saw. ( Notice that it is the tool of choice among meat butchers :eek1:)

So - OP - it may be the tool you choose to do the job - just .....focus, and watch you your fingers. A man has only so many digits to pick his nose with! Don't want to limit your choices:D

T

The bandsaw is nowhere near as dangerous as a TS, jointer drill press, router, RAS or circular saw and Those devices can cause severe injury due to direct impact from kickback and/or pull your hands into the moving blade becuase of kickback. The bandsaw will not pull your hands in and does not kickback. The problem is that because it is so non-menacing people get lazy and run their fingers through the blade. Push sticks and proper guard adjustment are very important. The traveling guard should only clear the work by 1/8" to keep you fingers out!

Having worked production furniture making before, I can tell you that, even with guards and safety measures in place, the bandsaw and planer account for most of the serious injuries. I myself was hospitalized for 4 days from a planer breaking a blade and kicking a board back at an angle and into my abdomen. We had at least 10 guys who "used to run a band saw" that were missing parts of a digit.

I have been working wood for 25+ years and never been hurt with a table saw, router, RAS or jointer. I had a near miss with a laser guarded bandsaw once and count myself lucky.

Back