Kessil A360WE

Kessil A360WE

Look at the coverage maps of both the A360W and A360N models...you'll likely be wanting to buy an A360N.

Edit: "Coverage AreaA360N: 18″ surface radius by 4′ to 5′ penetration (on average) A360W: 24″ surface radius by 3′ penetration (on average)"

Last edited:
Are the Kessil lights held to MAP (minimum advertised price) during sales? Essentially, I'm interested in buying 3 360's and wondering if it's worth waiting for the next 10% off event at one of the online retailers.

Generally yes even during sales. The only time I have seen them on sale is for the Black Friday sales. I bought mine at last years Black Friday sale for 16% off from premium aquatics.

Couple Questions:

1) Is that link cable (to daisy chain multiple A360WE's) just a regular 3.5mm phono plug cable? The Kessil version sell for like $20 but if it's just a standard they are really cheap (http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218). Are the Kessil ones special or something?

2) I'm getting a 60"w x 18"d x 26"h tank and was wondering if two A360WE's would be enough. It would be a FOWLR so no corals right now. If I did corals later I could get a third but right now not sure if I can afford 3. I saw the post on a 180gal 72" with 3 A360W's and it looked pretty bright, so maybe 2 on a 60" would be ok?

3) From reading I understand that basically the A360WE turns off at around 10% intensity. I was wondering though via my Apex, if I were to ramp it down to min intensity and spectrum at 20k, is it really dim? Almost moonlight? Or is it still too bright?

Been watching these lights since they were announced, will they comfortably cover a 36" square? or would you suggest two?

Been watching these lights since they were announced, will they comfortably cover a 36" square? or would you suggest two?

Define "comfortably". ;)

3ysuzubu.jpg

ze6eredu.jpg

Above tank DIMS 36"x24"x12" - Reef Raft NorCal - Fremont, CA

Yes, but as with all lighting it's subjective. Justin's post shows a nice tank that's well covered, but the nem is in the middle and there's nothing at the edges.*

I have 5 A360WE Kessils and wouldn't trade them for another light. But on my frag/grow out tank I use a pair 10" apart to cover 24" x 24" at a depth of 18". Lights are 5" off the surface. They ramp from 20K to 10K and back over a 9 hour day. Frags grow with beautiful color and FAST.

So I'm not completely off topic I'll come back post a shot asap.

*I can't see the images in that post unless I hit quote and preview my reply. Gotta love Tapatalk's incompatibility with the most common browsers in the world, like Chrome in W7.

Kessil A360WE

Yes, but as with all lighting it's subjective. Justin's post shows a nice tank that's well covered, but the nem is in the middle and there's nothing at the edges.*

Exactly. I've even said it before when posting that same pic, it provides "coverage", and looks nice. I don't know that you'd grow anything out there on the edges..got par?

I'll tell you what. All those guys with hella HO T5 lighting..yeah they get a lot of growth. That's cool and all if that's the only thing you want. At the end of the day, those tanks don't look real. I'll probably get flamed for this, but they just don't.

They don't.

The one Kessil covering the 36" tank, shadows at the edges and all...that looks real. Real reefs have shadows. I think a lot of reefers are turning toward creating a biotope that mimics a natural reef.

I'm drinking and I don't remember where I was going with that, but I'd stick a sun coral at each corner and call it done. ;)

:beer:

3ezemu2y.jpg

*I can't see the images in that post unless I hit quote and preview my reply. Gotta love Tapatalk's incompatibility with the most common browsers in the world, like Chrome in W7.

So that's the problem, this whole time I thought I was doing something wrong because pekoe said they couldn't see them but I could on Tapatalk and Safari.

Exactly. I've even said it before when posting that same pic, it provides "coverage", and looks nice. I don't know that you'd grow anything out there on the edges..got par?

I'll tell you what. All those guys with hella HO T5 lighting..yeah they get a lot of growth. That's cool and all if that's the only thing you want. At the end of the day, those tanks don't look real. I'll probably get flamed for this, but they just don't.

They don't.

The one Kessil covering the 36" tank, shadows at the edges and all...that looks real. Real reefs have shadows. I think a lot of reefers are turning toward creating a biotope that mimics a natural reef.

I'm drinking and I don't remember where I was going with that, but I'd stick a sun coral at each corner and call it done. ;)

:beer:

3ezemu2y.jpg

Your not getting flamed on OUR thread! At least of I could help it lol. I agree with you 100%:

So that's the problem, this whole time I thought I was doing something wrong because pekoe said they couldn't see them but I could on Tapatalk and Safari.

Yeah Tapatalk sucks. No matter how convenient it may be to use you're excluding the most common browsers on the web when you do use it. I mean come on, incompatible with Chrome !

I'm an IT Systems Admin which means I use about every system out there. It's just lame that TT has such issues.

Yeah Tapatalk sucks. No matter how convenient it may be to use you're excluding the most common browsers on the web when you do use it. I mean come on, incompatible with Chrome !

I'm an IT Systems Admin which means I use about every system out there. It's just lame that TT has such issues.

Right! And I paid for this app, are they owned my Microsoft or something?

It's kinda like those chicks you see, all orange. They walk around in yoga pants, pretending that they work out. They don't. Most of them just starve themselves and put in time down at Australian Tan.

It's winter for crying out loud. I haven't seen the sun in a month. How are you orange? Same thing with corals.

A lot of us have been doing that for years creating reefs that aren't flatly lit with T5.

I can grow beautifully colored and healthy sized SPS under T5s but I don't find it interesting to look at. I have one 40B frag tank left running AI T5s. Next time I have to replace bulbs I'll convert to Kessils.

Kessil A360WE

I'm with you buddy. :thumbup:

Meanwhile, I've been on Comcast tech support for going on 53 minutes. They keep passing me around like one of those drunk orange girls at a frat party.

I can't communicate with my Apex, and I'm standing right next to it. :/

Drink up pal! I'm having a beer too and enjoying discussing my hobby.

:beer

Yeah buddy! Kessil FTwn

ynyvupen.jpg

Back