Kessil A360WE

Simple question, why don't more people own or recommend these lights considering the price, quality, and coral response that from I have seen is all great. Haven't seen anything negative other than control. Is that worth another 300$ per?

I do not know who you are referring to but I know a lot of people with Kessils.

They are one of the best selling lights if not the best selling light on the market today.

They also one the 2012 Award for Best LED of the Year.

Why do you think that people do not like them?

Can they be set to use as moon lights at night ? I'm up in the air on these vs photons.
I do have a lot of movement at the top of my tank so thanks for the input on that!
I have the apex controller so I was wanting to ramp up slow and then back down during the day,sunrise sunset if you will, is this possible ?

From what I have heard they do not dim from full off to on. They will dim to about a T5 level then off.

I have learned though contrary to others post that both intensity and blue/white color mix can be controlled by a controller independently. This is good to know because I was previously under the impression only intensity was controllable.

it cannot be setup to be used as a moonlight, but you can ramp them for the sunlight & sunset. you will also need to purchase the kessil control cable to connect them to your apex.

Ok thanks for the input !
So it sounds like only thing it can't do would be moonlights.
I don't have those now so no big deal i guess.

Now to just pull the trigger ..lol

Your tank is exactly what I have in mind except it will be enclosed on top as well. Your tank looks awesome :)thumbsup:) and I really like how you did the lights. Are those enclosures off the shelf or are they something you did yourself?

Thanks! They were $12 each at Lowes then I used the gooseneck connection to mount to 3/8 downrod.

I am running two over a 24x24x30 in a very similar configuration. The tank is built into the wall/corner with two sides viewable and the overflow in the back corner. I have the lights staggered to the left and right (see pic). You are definitely going to want two for your tank at 36"

View attachment 266512

Pic was taken right after I redid my rock so it's a little cloudy

Is that the mounting hardware them come with? Other than the enclosed of course.

Only problem with a kessil is you can't control the color much, it's just more white or more blue. After using a radion or hydra, you really miss fine tuning the color to get the most pleasing rendering of the thousands of dollars worth of acropora.

Only problem with a kessil is you can't control the color much, it's just more white or more blue. After using a radion or hydra, you really miss fine tuning the color to get the most pleasing rendering of the thousands of dollars worth of acropora.

Agreed,however after seeing Radions and the Kessil side by side I see that function as a novelty and not required for coral growth or optimum display colors. The Kessil also has numerous different color LEDs within it and I didn't see any one color washed out or not responding to either.

Which color LEDs are present in the Kessil?

I've owned the 350 and the Radion Pro and Hydra, the 350 had an interesting shimmer but the colors were either stark white or deep blue gradations.

I love my A360WE the only problem with them again is color, you can't fine tune it. but that's fixed with running a couple of t5's with them. i wouldn't run a t5 with a radion, ai, maxspect, etc because there's too much of a discoball effect where with the kessils it's as close to Metal Halite as you can get. if not better. all i really have is acropora in my tank haha.

I love my A360WE the only problem with them again is color, you can't fine tune it. but that's fixed with running a couple of t5's with them.

What bulbs would you recommend? Conveniently, I happen to have a whole box of brand new T5 fittings and reflectors, and 2 icecap 600 ballasts that were intended for a tank that never materialized. If you've seen good results adding T5's to the Kissels then looks like I'm in luck.

What bulbs would you recommend? Conveniently, I happen to have a whole box of brand new T5 fittings and reflectors, and 2 icecap 600 ballasts that were intended for a tank that never materialized. If you've seen good results adding T5's to the Kissels then looks like I'm in luck.

You can't go wrong with adding more light, but it would depend on what colors you want to highlight. I would suggest getting the Kessil running then decide what you are lacking.

I just switched from Radion XR30W to a Kessil A360W. For the first couple days I did miss the control and fine tuning of the Radion but I got over that really quick as my corals are responding much better to the Kessil. In my opinion it's a far better looking light as well, looks natural, no spot lighting, and almost an exact replacement of my all time favorite light... MH. I have mine visually close to the Radium MH bulb around 20K. Looks amazing in person.

Thanks ASpec for the feedback! Can not wait to see mine. Your post is exactly why I have waited so long to switch from MH to LEDs. I think I found their replacement.

Kessil has all the colors you just do not see them as you cannot control then individually so we see Kessil in shades of Blue and White.

But they are Full Spectrum and even have UV.

Back