Kessil A360WE

Great thread for kessil. They don't get enough love around RC and I really believe it's because they are such great simple lights that users done need to ask tons of questions or get feedback/justification on their operation or settings.

My biggest piece of advice for anyone interested in kessil is to buy two for every 24x24 area and also that the wide angle works just fine on 30" tanks if you do.

Good advice! The narrow models also grow well at 30"+. My LFS has them mounted 18" from the water and growing LPS at the sand more than 30" underwater and thriving.

Reefdoberman, that's is precisely why I started this thread. I had done so much research on lighting and became more and more interested in Kessil. The more research I did it became apparent that Kessil wasn't getting the attention I thought it should have for being a great light, company, manufacture, and customer support. I knew that because they where new to reef aquariums older generations of refeers would not have the kind of positive and long term experience with them as with MH. So I created this topic in hopes to one, research the Kessil lights further, second to document my own research and findings, third for the purpose of getting feedback from other members. I hope to keep this going long term.

I purchased them because I wanted the same shimmer as a metal halide and I wanted to be able to add t5s without the hydro bill

Seems like you bought the wrong one like I did unfortunatly.

That's exactly what you've got me thinking. I was thinking it would be a good way to "test the water" with a Kessel light for less $$ than a 360, but now I see it's not really a direct comparison. I'm thinking of returning it and picking up a 360 instead, even if it is a bit overkill for a 10 gallon nano.

That's exactly what you've got me thinking. I was thinking it would be a good way to "test the water" with a Kessel light for less $$ than a 360, but now I see it's not really a direct comparison. I'm thinking of returning it and picking up a 360 instead, even if it is a bit overkill for a 10 gallon nano.

According to my LFS Kessil is having a sale on the A360WE and the 350s. I thought it was just the LFS hooking it up, lol. The owner told me he had wished he had a heads up on the sale because he just bought a few more couple months ago. Though if your LFS is willing to pass the savings to you is a different story.

I have the 360we on a 24x24x30 and it is about perfect. But I think it would be to much for just a 10g nano. You would have to keep it turned way down all the time anyway. Then again, I guess it would leave you with a light you can use if you get a bigger tank.

I have the 360we on a 24x24x30 and it is about perfect. But I think it would be to much for just a 10g nano. You would have to keep it turned way down all the time anyway. Then again, I guess it would leave you with a light you can use if you get a bigger tank.

I am hard to convince that you would need more than one A360WE for a 24"x24x 30 deep area even for the most demanding tanks. Also stating otherwise I think would turn some folks off from considering these awesome fixtures.

I know of a current system that has a 6" diameter red monti in complete shadow yet thriving on reflected light off the glass. Next time I'm there (near future for sure) I'll get a picture of it.

QUOTE=bif24701;22496596]I am hard to convince that you would need more than one A360WE for a 24"x24x 30 deep area even for the most demanding tanks. Also stating otherwise I think would turn some folks off from considering these awesome fixtures.

I know of a current system that has a 6" diameter red monti in complete shadow yet thriving on reflected light off the glass. Next time I'm there (near future for sure) I'll get a picture of it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that you "need" two on a 24x24 tank for your corals to live. In fact most areas that size would do fine coral wise with just one. But speaking from pure ascetics a lot of people want that MH pop and to the eye, one kessil may appear dim even though corals the thrive under it. I think people dismiss kessil or give up on them because they undersize their need or only go by the "eye test." My 60 bube and 74 column did just fine with one (I have a red monti, sps, 3 clams and a carpet anemone plus a ton of lps). But wow, what a difference two makes.

QUOTE=bif24701;22496596]I am hard to convince that you would need more than one A360WE for a 24"x24x 30 deep area even for the most demanding tanks. Also stating otherwise I think would turn some folks off from considering these awesome fixtures.

I know of a current system that has a 6" diameter red monti in complete shadow yet thriving on reflected light off the glass. Next time I'm there (near future for sure) I'll get a picture of it.

I'm not saying that you "need" two on a 24x24 tank for your corals to live. In fact most areas that size would do fine coral wise with just one. But speaking from pure ascetics a lot of people want that MH pop and to the eye, one kessil may appear dim even though corals the thrive under it. I think people dismiss kessil or give up on them because they undersize their need or only go by the "eye test." My 60 bube and 74 column did just fine with one (I have a red monti, sps, 3 clams and a carpet anemone plus a ton of lps). But wow, what a difference two makes.[/QUOTE]

True, I have certainly thought about adding more. I even have an Aquaticlife dual T5HO laying around that I am strongly considering adding to my display. Just need different bulbs.

According to my LFS Kessil is having a sale on the A360WE and the 350s. I thought it was just the LFS hooking it up, lol. The owner told me he had wished he had a heads up on the sale because he just bought a few more couple months ago. Though if your LFS is willing to pass the savings to you is a different story.

I don't see this sale anywhere ?

I am really excited abou these lights. We are looking at setting up either a Deep Sea Aquatics 65 or 90. Both tanks are 36" long, 22" deep for the 65 and 25" deep for the 90. I don't like the look of the hood, and my wife hates the idea of hanging a fixture in our livingroom. So, I was thinking that 2 of these on goosenecks would look great! I am planning on a mixed reef. Do you guys think that two will be enough? And with a max depth of 25in, would you go with the wide angle? Thanks!

I am really excited abou these lights. We are looking at setting up either a Deep Sea Aquatics 65 or 90. Both tanks are 36" long, 22" deep for the 65 and 25" deep for the 90. I don't like the look of the hood, and my wife hates the idea of hanging a fixture in our livingroom. So, I was thinking that 2 of these on goosenecks would look great! I am planning on a mixed reef. Do you guys think that two will be enough? And with a max depth of 25in, would you go with the wide angle? Thanks!

2 on a 90 gallon WIDE angle would be perfect for more than 25" deep

I'm also really excited about the Kessil's. They are now my top choice due to nice colour mixing.

With regards to moonlights, I was thinking about either getting the Apex Moonlights, or getting a couple Ecoxotic Stunner Strips and connecting them to the Apex.

I think the Ecoxotic Stunner Strips are the way to go because they could also be used during the day to add some punch, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out what I need to connect them to the Apex so they can be controlled / dimmed.

What do you all do for moonlighting with your Kessils?

Here is what it looks like so far.
e4ehyhy6.jpg

Back