Kill the lionfish?

Such an old topic, I am not sure where the info would be now. But this was one of the first rumors when they strated showing up a few years ago.

Interesting, I will look it up, so the divers just thought the pretty Lionfish would make the reefs more "attractive" to tourists? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for aquarium releases (and a lot of other aquarium species introduced).

Yes, when this first became a story 5 or so years ago, it was one of the theroes, and was talked about a lot. Some even said they knew who did it.

Just as you say, it made some dive sites interesting and profitable.

Seems more realistic than hundreds of people dumping their pet loins ofter years of care and growth.

Such an old topic, I am not sure where the info would be now. But this was one of the first rumors when they strated showing up a few years ago.

Old topic? Maybe in the midwest, but it's a daily current event in the affected areas.

Old topic? Maybe in the midwest, but it's a daily current event in the affected areas.

Sorry. I did not mean old as it not relivent, I meant old, as in this was discussed very heavily a few years ago, and I have not kept up with it as of late.

I know there were stories in the fish mags several years ago, it was a hot topic at macna, in Boston, I believe, thats when they were talking about the divers planting them.

Yes, when this first became a story 5 or so years ago, it was one of the theroes, and was talked about a lot. Some even said they knew who did it.

Just as you say, it made some dive sites interesting and profitable.

Seems more realistic than hundreds of people dumping their pet loins ofter years of care and growth.

So, based on genetics, one thing we do know is that the initial introduction consisted of very few individuals, certainly not hundreds. Best estimates are around 20 individuals for the original introduction.

Another hypothesis was they were released by recreational divers in the tourism business.

Haven't heard that one before. Though I have heard the possibility raised that some individuals in the wholesale end of the aquarium trade might have released some to establish a local source. That allegation has also been made about a number of other exotic introductions, both fish and reptile found in South Florida.

diver and reefer jupiter fl on lionfish

diver and reefer jupiter fl on lionfish

I scuba dive in Jupiter fl and see average of 5 to 7 lionfish every dive very evasive species with no predators. The worst part is they eat and prey on small and juvenile reef fishes veracious appetites

I've heard multiple theories:

1 - Hurricane Andrew (which I personally think is BS for a bunch or reasons)
2 - Hobbyist release from aquariums (that's how Florida got many of it's cichlids)
3 - Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas (it is my understanding that the open air aquarium is also open filtered with Atlantic ocean water and at one point, the effluent was not filtered or treated. So, any spawning event got dumped in to the surrounding Atlantic)

I was diving in Holguin Cuba in Feb and they were everywhere! Thought the first one I saw was cool, but then found out they are a huge problem! Saw them on a menu while in Cozumel last week.

I've collected several juveniles on the south shore of Long Island and in Rhode Island. They arrive around the time that most of the tropical strays show up in the fall. Winter cold will kill them off.

Back