Lanthanum chloride

Interesting read, and I plan on giving this a try.

While I was away for a few months my system was pretty much ignored, prior to that running a phosban reactor and my skimmer kept the phosphate levels in check and algae was not an issue...since my return I have not been able to get it back under control and assume its leaching from the rock after being saturated so this may be just what the doctor ordered to get the system back in line.

Thanks for the information.

So...

Looking online trying to find 10 micron socks locally is fruitless.

By stating "medical" did you find it at CVS or something? ;)

Found many online sources.

Hey reefshop owners, order a 50 pack...

as luck would have it I talked to a friend that's a manufacturer of many types of filters over the holiday. I might purchase a case.

probably not.
It would be more of a PITA for me than anything else. Let's face it-profit margins (if any) would be very low. I hate going to the post office or UPS and between work and family I'm already stressed for time. Supplying filters isn't my bag.

The reason I was going to stock up on filters was two fold: a savings for me (via bulk purchase) and a savings in time/gas making a trip every time I need a new filter.
Apparently, (after talking with this filter fellow over the Turkeyday holiday), woven 10 micron filters do need replacing as their fibers work loose over time.

Thanks Gary for bringing this topic back up and Pioneering some more local experiences. I will have to give it a whirl now that I'm done with my Grad school and now have more time to catch up my system.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13901619#post13901619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jansenwrasse
Per the MSDS from the company it is 35-65% Lanthanum salt derivative.
thanks for doing my homework :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13901619#post13901619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jansenwrasse
Per the MSDS from the company it is 35-65% Lanthanum salt derivative.
that's product concentration. (Seems highly variable, eh?)

I dilute 5 ml. of the Seaklear product into litre of RO water and dose slowly over the course of an hour or two.
Fast dosing of concentrated (undiluted) Lanthanum chloride should be avoided IMO/IME.

Interesting, I've been doing 0.5ml shots of it straight into my filter sock daily and haven't had much trouble. Then again, water is swirling like crazy in my sock so diffusion is certainly quick. Corals still loving it, nuisance algae is MUCH slower. Still there, but now managable.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13904219#post13904219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
(Seems highly variable, eh?)

I think they are only required to report a range because of the hazard level. The product itself is likely way more consistant than that.

Most likely in the lower 10% range 35-45%. Also note for some reason my finger hits 2 when it is supposed to hit 3 ... its LnCl3.

Gary have you checked the pH after dosing? I am wondering if the pH rises to any significant level in your size tank.

Great thread!

I'll have to monitor pH closely next time I dose.

This might sound strange... but I've been basing my dosing regime on the size of my Lawnmower Blenny's belly.
If it starts getting too thin I skip a treatment.
I've had this Blenny since I set up the aquarium (over 3 years) and it eats microalgae exclusively.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13909717#post13909717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
I'll have to monitor pH closely next time I dose.

This might sound strange... but I've been basing my dosing regime on the size of my Lawnmower Blenny's belly.
If it starts getting too thin I skip a treatment.
I've had this Blenny since I set up the aquarium (over 3 years) and it eats microalgae exclusively.
:lol: That is probably a lot more accurate than many test kits and monitors.

I remember a post when Gary stated that he could gague when to dose Ca and Alk based on how noisy his pumps were.

15+ years experience just can't be replaced with anything.

Could you immagine his wife, staring at Gary looking intently at his fish then runs for some random chemical and a filter bag, only to watch him drip this stuff ever so slowly, then change the bag again, I know i'd be saying " sooo ... what did the little fishy tell you to do? "

We love you Gary :D

tip:

tip:

when the wife gets preoccupied with other things make your move. Never place a new coral, fish or Berghia in the aquarium while anyone is watching and never reveal how much anything costs.

Re: tip:

Re: tip:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13924292#post13924292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
when the wife gets preoccupied with other things make your move. Never place a new coral, fish or Berghia in the aquarium while anyone is watching and never reveal how much anything costs.
:) I almost always talk about trades or the few pieces I sell but almost never what I buy. They just seem to appear in the aquarium,evoving from the rock.

Back