Lanthanum chloride

Not sure why you would need that, but I've never heard of that exisiting.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to see how much lanthanum remains after using LC treatments, how long it takes to exit the system if it even does, and determine toxicity at extreme levels

Intersting thought; though I'm not aware of any available tests for lanthanum.

It binds with phosphate and/or carbonate and never really exists the system but remains out of solution as precpitant at normal aquarium pH levels.
A key is to precipitate it all (most as lanthanum phosphate vs lanthanum carbonate preferably), and trap the the precipitant with a fine filter before it gets to the tank. This is why slow dosing in a high flow area is the preferred method . Otherwise , unprecipitated free lanthanum which is smaller than water molecules can enter the tank and precipitate there potentially harming the life there.

Clorox Phosphate Remover Trip Report:

Curing some cycled rock in a rubbermaid, phosphate tested at .5ppm.
Got the Clorox, dosed 4tbsp 3 times over 8 days. (it is ~1/3 the strength as SeaKlear)
It has been 2 days since my last dose and I tested the phosphates today at .058ppm.

I am going to wait 4 more days before testing again without dosing to see if that is stable. If so, it will be good to go in a new display.

For dosing, it was very easy not being in a tank. I would just dump 4tbsp in without any socks or dripper.

Update: Tested again 4 days later and it is still at .058, looks like it is holding.

Following this thread and good to see it has been 9 years old. :) A question is that I'm running GFO but PO4 keeps at around 0.16, the tank is with GHA issues so I want to keep the PO4 lower so I'm starting with lanthanum dosing as well. But I heard there could be issues with lanthanum dosing vs. GFO as lanthanum will strip PO4 from GFO. Any thoughts on that?

Heres 75 lbs worth of pukani phosphate precipitate, using phosfree for 3 weeks.
f509b130d00a990eddc7e0a100b7507b.jpg

Following this thread and good to see it has been 9 years old. :) A question is that I'm running GFO but PO4 keeps at around 0.16, the tank is with GHA issues so I want to keep the PO4 lower so I'm starting with lanthanum dosing as well. But I heard there could be issues with lanthanum dosing vs. GFO as lanthanum will strip PO4 from GFO. Any thoughts on that?

If you are going to use lanthanum there is no need to use gfo, remove it completely. When I used gfo it seemed that I had nothing but issues with and problems. I now dose lanthanum through my auto doser. Its been a reef saver for me and VERY cost effective vs any other method of phos control.
Jeff

Greetings from the ghost of posts past, I was playing with lanthanum on page one, now use carbon dosing to keep phosphate down. It had a remarkable effect on my last reef, rescuing it from "œold tank syndrome", whatever that actually is, with a remarkable transformation of crud covered rock to near pristine.

Makers Marc.....whoa! If anybody needs proof that you need to get the precipitate out, have a look at that pic!

John

Greetings from the ghost of posts past, I was playing with lanthanum on page one, now use carbon dosing to keep phosphate down. It had a remarkable effect on my last reef, rescuing it from "œold tank syndrome", whatever that actually is, with a remarkable transformation of crud covered rock to near pristine.

Makers Marc.....whoa! If anybody needs proof that you need to get the precipitate out, have a look at that pic!

John
Tell me about it. That doesnt even include the actual rock pieces im using, that I took out and hosed before this picture. This is just the bottom barrel rubble.

I'm curious what you guys are all using for 5-10 micron filter socks.

Filterbag.com has polypropylene and polyester felt for reasonable prices. I will probably end up throwing these away so cheaper is better. Which exact material/bag are you guys using?

Hello everybody.

I'm having some trouble hope you can help.

I dose lanthanum chloride into my pipe work that goes down to a clarisea sk5000 roller filter after the filter the water goes into the sump - skimmer - filters etc..

I dilute my seaklear commercial 7 ml lanthanum chloride / 1 L of water. Dose it over 24 hours distributed on 150 occasions a' 3,6 ml/dose.

I get the wanted effect in lowering phospates but it also shows on ICP testing and the amount in the water is rising. 4 ug/l last time and 11 ug/l this time.

What do you recommend? Maybe the clarisea sk5000 isnt suitable for this?

I've also noticed an increase in other of other substances like aluminium, lithium and barium do you know if the lanthanum could "free" other substances?

Lanthanum C

Lanthanum C

results are in: this works

reason I tried it: heavy feedings of fishes and anemones in an SPS reef aquarium result in high PO4 levels. GFO is an expense.

quick summary of the methodology I used: lanthanum chloride was diluted in RO water (5ml to 1 litre for treating roughly 300 gallons of water) then slow dripped into water to be treated as it enters a 10 micron filter sock (in place of a sand filter that is often used on larger systems). My protein skimmer also processed this treated water.
Lanthanum chloride acts as a flocculant and binds to phosphates upon contact. This stuff can clog a 10 micron bag in no time!

If you dose too fast or too much the water will get cloudy and sensitive Tangs will start breathing heavy. (Dose it really heavy and I've heard it can cloud up the surfaces of an aquarium.)

regrets: I don't have a way to test low range phosphates so results are based on anecdotal observations (for now. Wanna give it a try, Tom?)

results after one month (two treatments per week equaling eight treatments) SPS coloration, growth and polyp extension much improved. Algae eating Blenny getting skinny due to lack of food.

Hi Gary

Are you still utilizing the LC method disproved above? Did you any adverse effects over long term use? I've been using it off and on but I love running ROWAPHOS, it works great. I have the pure pool LC which I've used but I'd like to implement again, much cheaper then Rowaphos

Thank you
Orly

Orly- I've not used my bottle of LC for several years now. (It's still sitting here in my sump room!)
Several things have changed in my reef husbandry since this (old) thread.... but that's another story.

LC is still a low cost viable method to reduce P if you follow the guidelines posted !
Go slow with it!
Like anything else, abuse can cause disasterous results.

I prefer to use LC in conjunction with 10 micron and/or sand mechanical filtration.
Good luck!

Orly- I've not used my bottle of LC for several years now. (It's still sitting here in my sump room!)
Several things have changed in my reef husbandry since this (old) thread.... but that's another story.

LC is still a low cost viable method to reduce P if you follow the guidelines posted !
Go slow with it!
Like anything else, abuse can cause disasterous results.

I prefer to use LC in conjunction with 10 micron and/or sand mechanical filtration.
Good luck!

I appreciate the response but would you be so kind to share your current Phosphate export method?
Thanks again

I used it for a long time. It does lower phosphate, however if you use too much and lower phosphate below 0.1 it will cause some of the fish to die. My large Sohal was on its side
and almost dead. Threw it into a tank without lanthanum and it recovered almost immediately. Other tangs had the same symptoms.

I think the important thing is "too much". I had really high phosphates at first, but went sorta slow. Never had precipate. My blue tang has been fine.

Glad your Sohal got better!

== John ==

I used it for a long time. It does lower phosphate, however if you use too much and lower phosphate below 0.1 it will cause some of the fish to die. My large Sohal was on its side
and almost dead. Threw it into a tank without lanthanum and it recovered almost immediately. Other tangs had the same symptoms.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I have considered this stuff a few times, glad I passed.

Back