Lanthanum chloride

took me a good week to go through it slowly !

Great thread, great read. i have been using LaCl for awhile now. Like everyone else that like to experiment, i did lost one powder black tang in the process, other tang not from the powder series are doing fine.

With regards to the hair algae, i have this issue as well and it will persist until the rock stops leaching PO4. urchins do a good job removing them. i dont experience any fogging of the glass panel. light cloudiness happens when to much is added.

For my setup, i dont use any micron filters, just good old filter floss stacked insanely. i keep my PO4 at around 0.05ppm though (higher than an average reef tank).

cheers

now that was some reading material. Ordered a bottle of the commercial stuff on amazon, on its way.

I have used a different diluted product dripped into "niagara falls" area of the sump overnight before the socks. This stuff rocks, just dont drip too much/too fast and drop too much PO4 per treatment and you'll be perfectly fine.

For those just finding this thread, Amazon has the commercial (most concentrated) version for sale.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaKlear-902...ccessories/dp/B00CMQZZJ6/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

My phosphate is registered >200ppm with hanna ULR phosphate and all SPS (3 frags) are brown won't grow. It has been like this for about a year since the inception of the tank and po4 has leached from the real live rocks from day 1.

How much commercial Seaklear should I be using on a 120 gal. can I use pipette to deliver a few drops of undiluted stuff to a filter sock directly, don't have a doser and don't want to go that route as I think bacteria in zeovit will work much better maintaining ULNS once po4 has dropped to acceptable level.

It is doable. I had the same issue in 65gallon tank with >200ppb P04.

GFO would expire within hours of being replaced so I switched to lanthanum.

I would use 14 drops (slowly)of lanthanum into my display overflow 2-3 times a day.

It's taken about 3 months but no ill effects from the lanthanum (other than lots of filter socks to change)and P04 is down to 0.034ppm using a Hanna ULR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks so much, so 14 drops based on 65gal or 120gal?
It is doable. I had the same issue in 65gallon tank with >200ppb P04.

GFO would expire within hours of being replaced so I switched to lanthanum.

I would use 14 drops (slowly)of lanthanum into my display overflow 2-3 times a day.

It's taken about 3 months but no ill effects from the lanthanum (other than lots of filter socks to change)and P04 is down to 0.034ppm using a Hanna ULR.

Thanks so much, so 14 drops based on 65gal or 120gal?

14 drops based on my 65gallon so I would imagine you could do almost double (28). Start slow though (I started with around 8drops per dose) and be patient. You will learn how your system reacts.

You might be able to do more but this is the max I ever used so I can't comment at higher doses.

Fish and corals never showed signs of stress. Funny enough when I switched back to GFO I got burnt tips as the P04 dropped too fast.

I have some rock cycled that tests ~.5ppm, it is in a rubbermaid with heater and pump and salt rodi.

Do I need to use a filter sock since its not a live tank, will it float to the surface where I can just scoop it out with a cup?

Also what level should I dose at.

I was wondering if a heater is necessary, I have myself in my brute trashcan some pukani, saltwater, and powerhead only at this point. Temp gets as low as 45 at night?

I have some rock cycled that tests ~.5ppm, it is in a rubbermaid with heater and pump and salt rodi.

Do I need to use a filter sock since its not a live tank, will it float to the surface where I can just scoop it out with a cup?

Also what level should I dose at.

I was wondering if a heater is necessary, I have myself in my brute trashcan some pukani, saltwater, and powerhead only at this point. Temp gets as low as 45 at night?

Nitrosomonas and other nitrifying bacteria can survive at temperatures lower than 45, however growth rate is decreased by 75% at 46-50° F. I am trying to get my rock seeded as much as possible before using :)

Got it. Since ill be letting the rock sit dry for weeks after curing out Pukani, I'm not concerned about cycling bacteria at this point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

of all the threads to go viral!

of all the threads to go viral!

I mean... I've taken part in some really great threads on RC over the years.
I would have NEVER picked this one to take off! :p

10 year anniversary September 2018!

I did not realize that until you posted it. It doesn't seem that long ago!
Since the start of this thread I've used only TWO bottles of the Seakleer LaCl3 (somebody gave me a half bottle and I still have half bottle downstairs) and I've done only TWO purchases of 10 micron socks (10 socks each time).
This should exemplify how sparingly I use Lanthanum chloride!

Clorox Phosphate Remover Trip Report:

Curing some cycled rock in a rubbermaid, phosphate tested at .5ppm.
Got the Clorox, dosed 4tbsp 3 times over 8 days. (it is ~1/3 the strength as SeaKlear)
It has been 2 days since my last dose and I tested the phosphates today at .058ppm.

I am going to wait 4 more days before testing again without dosing to see if that is stable. If so, it will be good to go in a new display.

For dosing, it was very easy not being in a tank. I would just dump 4tbsp in without any socks or dripper.

Quick update for me. After testing at 200ppb 2 wks ago, the water tested at 17ppb or ~.05ppm today.

I've been fairly aggressive with the Phosfree dosing twice a day with a half cap. The pukani is covered in the fine, dusty, precipitate that ill wash off later.

Very happy with the process.

Quick update for me. After testing at 200ppb 2 wks ago, the water tested at 17ppb or ~.05ppm today.

I've been fairly aggressive with the Phosfree dosing twice a day with a half cap. The pukani is covered in the fine, dusty, precipitate that ill wash off later.

Very happy with the process.

How long did you wait after dosing to test? It takes time for the phosphate to leech back out after dosing and equalize in the water again.

So testing soon after dosing would not be accurate. I'm trying to figure out what a good length is

How long did you wait after dosing to test? It takes time for the phosphate to leech back out after dosing and equalize in the water again.

So testing soon after dosing would not be accurate. I'm trying to figure out what a good length is
I tested 24 hrs after my last dose. Not saying there isn't any more leaching to happen.

Back