Let's See Some T5 Only Lite Tanks (remember Just T5 Lite Tanks) :-)

Very nice Matthew, I love the Sunset... is that a Chips Acro in the last one? I just picked up a nice frag of it a few weeks ago and the tips are turning an awesome blue.

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12248965#post12248965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big_D
Very nice Matthew, I love the Sunset... is that a Chips Acro in the last one? I just picked up a nice frag of it a few weeks ago and the tips are turning an awesome blue.

Big D

Thanks. The last acro may be a chips but I am not sure. I bought my tank previously setup and the guy did have many ORA peices so I hope so. :) lol

I just ordered a chips so now I guess I will have 2.

Thanks again

-Matthew

OK... my turn. :D

Here's a shot of my 180gal that's lit with all T5's. I've been running T5's on it since I put it togather about a year and a half ago. I started out with 8 bulbs on spec ballasts, but a few months ago I upgraded. Now I'm running (6) 80W bulbs on 2 IceCap 660's and (2) 54W bulbs on a spec ballast (advanced). I'm running mostly ATI bulbs except for the GE 6500k.

The color is fantastic and I even have shimmer... lots of it! :cool: I know alot of folks say the PowerBright LED's will get washed out, but if you install them right you'll get lots of shimmer... even with the daylights on. I'm running 3 of the PowerBright modules pointing at an angle into the tank from inside the front of my canopy and they work great.

Enough about that, here's some pics. One when the tank was about a month or so old and one taken a few days ago.

Early On

Front2-1.jpg

Now

FTS6.jpg

Those are the same Monti Caps, RBTA and several others in both pics... I've had some decent growth. :D

Big D

Big D...

I am sooo glad to see an updated pic of your tank. We talked a bit way back when you were setting it up. It looks fantastic! It is so amazing to see the growth and color we can get from T5s. I too, finally got my 180 up in August 07, so it is a little over 7 months old now. I went with the Constellation from Aquactinics and have been very happy with it. I may at some point upgrade to 80 watt bulbs, but I have been getting great results so far with this fixture. It has been a little challenging finding just the right bulb combo for both my eye ( I think I like my tank a little more blue than most people and want the corals to really POP)and growth but things are doing really well. What bulb combo are you using? Your combo, seems to be just what I have been looking for. I need to take some new pics and post them in here, maybe in the next day or so.

Again, good to see you, and your tank is looking unbelieveable! I hope mine will look that good too!

Thanks to all those posting, it's very helpful seeing your tanks, as I'm in the market for new lighting, and have never had T5's.

Big D anymore info on how you incorporated the Powerbright LED's into the T5's. I just checked them out quickly on your link, but need to learn more. I can't tell, but I would guess you have retrofit T5's?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12270164#post12270164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big_D

Here's a shot of my 180gal that's lit with all T5's. I've been running T5's on it since I put it togather about a year and a half ago. I started out with 8 bulbs on spec ballasts, but a few months ago I upgraded. Now I'm running (6) 80W bulbs on 2 IceCap 660's and (2) 54W bulbs on a spec ballast (advanced). I'm running mostly ATI bulbs except for the GE 6500k.

The color is fantastic and I even have shimmer... lots of it! :cool: I know alot of folks say the PowerBright LED's will get washed out, but if you install them right you'll get lots of shimmer... even with the daylights on. I'm running 3 of the PowerBright modules pointing at an angle into the tank from inside the front of my canopy and they work great.

Enough about that, here's some pics. One when the tank was about a month or so old and one taken a few days ago.

Those are the same Monti Caps, RBTA and several others in both pics... I've had some decent growth. :D

Big D

That is awesome!
I have a 180 now w/ 3x250w MH + VHO actinics all on Icecaps. I have been considering switching to all T5s and this might make my decision easier :)

I had a couple questions:

- You seemed to have lots of growth w/ the spec ballasts. Have you noticed a significant difference in growth using the Icecaps?

- What is the bulb combination? More specifically, what are you using the Advanced 2x54w for? Is it just for actinics or are you trying to squeeze more light in with the extra room?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273696#post12273696 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennmac415
Big D...

I am sooo glad to see an updated pic of your tank. We talked a bit way back when you were setting it up. It looks fantastic!

Thanks Jenni... I remember talking with you on TRT about your setup, glad to hear that you got it up and running. I'm going to put together a new diagram showing my bulb combination and I'll post it here shortly. I'd love to see some shots of your tank... looks like I'm going to be upgrading to a 310gal here pretty soon. :rolleyes: I'll be going all T5's on it as well, I tried halides for a couple days over my 180 and really didn't like the look.

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274233#post12274233 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by summer6
Big D anymore info on how you incorporated the Powerbright LED's into the T5's. I just checked them out quickly on your link, but need to learn more. I can't tell, but I would guess you have retrofit T5's?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274933#post12274933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by summer6
Big D read your post more closely, and see they're inside the hood!

You're correct, they're inside my canopy. I'm going to draw up a quick diagram of them as well to try to help folks understand how they are mounted in my system.

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274888#post12274888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alanmorehead
I had a couple questions:

- You seemed to have lots of growth w/ the spec ballasts. Have you noticed a significant difference in growth using the Icecaps?

- What is the bulb combination? More specifically, what are you using the Advanced 2x54w for? Is it just for actinics or are you trying to squeeze more light in with the extra room?

-I did have amazing growth with the spec ballasts. I was running (6) 54 watters and (2) 39 watters, all on spec ballasts up until late January. Since changing out to the IceCaps, I have noticed much better coloring in my corals, the tank is sooo much brighter, and my fish are actually out swimming all the time. But, the best part of all is, my wife actually has made comments about how beautiful the tank looks now- this was HUGE!!! She really doesn't care about this crazy hobby, so anything that catches her eye and draws her to the tank is a HUGE plus in my book. :D

-I'll post a diagram here shortly showing my bulb combination. The (2) 54 watters on a spec ballast are running ATI super actinics, but I may just unplug them. You truley can't see them with any of the IceCap bulbs firing, it's amazing how bright the IceCaps are pushing the bulbs. If I had to guess, I'd say well over twice as bright, it just washes out the 54W bulbs.

Big D

Here's some diagrams of my lighting... the first one is a top down view and the second one is a side view of the inside of the canopy which shows the PowerBrite's pointing down at an angle into the tank from the front.

Top View

T5NewSetup.jpg

Side View

SideViewOfInsideCanopy.jpg

When all of the T5's are firing, the tank is very bright white with a pinkish purple hue. After the daylights go out, it looses the 2 Pro Colors and the GE 6500k which results in a very nice blue hue.

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12275709#post12275709 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big_D
Here's some diagrams of my lighting... the first one is a top down view and the second one is a side view of the inside of the canopy which shows the PowerBrite's pointing down at an angle into the tank from the front.

When all of the T5's are firing, the tank is very bright white with a pinkish purple hue. After the daylights go out, it looses the 2 Pro Colors and the GE 6500k which results in a very nice blue hue.

Big D

Great! Thanks for posting this!

- One of my concerns w/ T5s was the 5' bulb on a 6' tank. Did you try staggering them at any time? It's kind of hard to tell from the tank shot, have you noticed any dark spots at the end of the tank w/ all of them centered? or would you say this is not event an issue?

If you drop the 2x54w ATI super actinics, would you change the 6-bulb combination to adjust for this or just keep it the same?

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD MAN, QUIT GIVING THOSE POOR CORALS ALL THOSE STEROIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Sweet tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12270164#post12270164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big_D

Early On

Front2-1.jpg

Now

FTS6.jpg

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12275970#post12275970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alanmorehead
Great! Thanks for posting this!

- One of my concerns w/ T5s was the 5' bulb on a 6' tank. Did you try staggering them at any time? It's kind of hard to tell from the tank shot, have you noticed any dark spots at the end of the tank w/ all of them centered? or would you say this is not event an issue?

If you drop the 2x54w ATI super actinics, would you change the 6-bulb combination to adjust for this or just keep it the same?

No problem...

-Some of the bulbs in my first setup were staggered to eliminate any low light areas. With the 60 inch bulbs and IceCap ballasts, I didn't stagger them and I really don't have any low light areas. They're only 6 inches from the edges of the tank and they are so bright it makes up for it, actually, they're throwing more light on the sides then the staggered 54 watt bulbs were. I'll post a diagram of my original setup (the 2 center ones that are side by side were 39W bulbs).

-If I drop the 54W bulbs, I'll probably just stick with the (6) 80W. Since I'm running Super Actinics in the 54w pair, they really aren't contributing much PAR wise anyways.

Here's my original setup:

T5Setup.jpg

Big D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12276406#post12276406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD MAN, QUIT GIVING THOSE POOR CORALS ALL THOSE STEROIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Sweet tank.

WOW... a compliment from the T5 god father, that makes my DAY!!!

Thanks Grim... alot of folks say it can't be done, but there's living proof. I do dose though, just a different kind of roids-

CalAlk.jpg

Big D

I mix it per Randy's improved two part instructions... I'm up to about 360ml a day... :eek1:

I've got a Schuran, just haven't set it up yet... it's actually on the agenda for tomorrow. It's kinda hard to tell, but in the currnet pic of my tank you can see 3 very large Derasa's opn the sand bed. Between them and all the SPS, it's hard to keep up just by dosing.

Big D

Back