Local Petco Thread

Nice LTA, lots of nice fish (including Dracula Goby, nice clams and some nice SPS. Got a Bird of Paradise Birdsnest and a gold Maxima.

Last edited:
They have decent stuff there pretty frequently. I bought this nem from there on my last trip:

IMG_20231126_212438.jpg

Sure thing! My display is overrun with red and orange BTAs, except for a green LTA, so this will be a good color addition once it gets big enough to hold it's own.

Petco’s policies are plain stupid.

I visited two yesterday just looking for salt. Both had FW aquariums set up, but no SW. One had a single bag of Instant Ocean. The only stuff I've really had die as soon as it got home was from Petco, we are really cautious with anything we get there.

To go to a true LFS with SW I have a 30-45 minute drive.

That's the same for us. there is one about 30min away but it's horribly over priced and understocked. I want to support them, but their prices are atrocious. I got my wife's orchid dottyback for I believe $29.99 and they wanted $99. Our next option is 45 minutes. He's pretty good. very light on fish, but decent coral selection. and then the third one and our favorite one is about 60-90 minutes but lots of great options and fair prices. But everything in the Seattle area takes an hour commute minimum now days.

That’s a really interesting looking clam. The birds nest seems to be very happy
That Birdsnest had been there for months. It started as a normal size Petco frag and grew over time. I got a bargain.

That said, I may not go there anymore. After meeting BradleyM at a LFS (which I had not been to in 10+ years - SeaScape Studios) just a little further away than the Petco, I’ll likely go to SeaScape from now on. Great selection and prices.

That Birdsnest had been there for months. It started as a normal size Petco frag and grew over time. I got a bargain.

That said, I may not go there anymore. After meeting BradleyM at a LFS (which I had not been to in 10+ years - SeaScape Studios) just a little further away than the Petco, I’ll likely go to SeaScape from now on. Great selection and prices.
I’m going to have to make some time to visit neighboring cities to find more options.

I’m going to have to make some time to visit neighboring cities to find more options.

I think I mentioned a week+ ago my wife and I jotted down 4 different saltwater FS and we just made a day of it touring all of them. The furthest was about 90 minutes away so we started there then hit three others on our way south back home. It was a lot of fun and we learned a lot.

The furthest away one was amazing. Next one was horrible, next one great, last one pretty bad 😂. But it was a fun day nonetheless!

Man I visited the petco in Tacoma last week and I was blown away by the quality of their SW display. I picked up a camel shrimp and a bunch of snails. Then I go another town over and the petco SW display was horrid. basically empty, dirty, and overpriced. they're so hit and miss for me.

Back