Luminarc III DIY plans

rc1626

With metal halide barely holding on in the reef aquarium trade I am still a user. Starting a new build that will be 36" front to back so I need some large reflectors. With Hamilton just shutting down their manufacturing of all MH reflectors I'm left to buying used or building my own.

I know there were plans out there to build your own luminarc reflectors. I'm looking for plans for the larger reflectors but would also take plans for the smaller ones if someone had them. My search of the web has turned up for the most part empty. I was wondering if one of the members on here might still have a file on their computer and be able to share?

Also a place to buy large sheets of specular or highly polished aluminum sheets would be helpful as well?

Or if you had two old luminarc large, Hamilton cabo sun/cozumel sun reflectors in decent shape laying around that I could purchase?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I had this one on my drive. Sorry it's not the best resolution. I have another variation somewhere. If I find it, I will post it.

lumenarcpattern.jpg

Just to repost what I posted on R2R so it’s here too, the dimensions appear to be mixed in the description of the patent. The only other plans I found was similar to that of @kharmaguru but with a white background. It seems most of the archives I found on this topic link to dead sites that even The Wayback Machine didn’t log. If you do find a file, please share

This is apparently the original patent which lists dimensions on the description - US Patent 6042250 - https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/57/4b/51/01426296d3d3c4/US6042250.pdf

Just to repost what I posted on R2R so it’s here too, the dimensions appear to be mixed in the description of the patent. The only other plans I found was similar to that of @kharmaguru but with a white background. It seems most of the archives I found on this topic link to dead sites that even The Wayback Machine didn’t log. If you do find a file, please share

This is apparently the original patent which lists dimensions on the description - US Patent 6042250 - https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/57/4b/51/01426296d3d3c4/US6042250.pdf
IIRC the other one I have is the LumenBright style and I know I saw it recently so it is on a computer in this house, just not this laptop.

Thanks for posting kharmaguru. Reefing102, I did open your link to the original patent on R2R. I skimmed through it quickly and did see dimensions mentioned. Pretty neat find I must say. I did not look close enough yet at those dimensions to see what overall size it made. I do believe they made two sizes, a small and large? It looks as though the plans that we’ve found are for the small (14” x 14” or so). I believe the large were in the 20” x 20” range. I’m sure these smaller plans can be scaled up but to have exact dimensional plans of the larger would be ideal.

In asking for for the small plans again was to cross-reference what we already found. All looks the same to this point.

Alas the lumenbright file lacks detail.

diylumenbright2.jpg

FWIW, I built the lumenarc design years ago and even changed it to a rectangle so it shouldn't be too hard to scale as you need.

I did see these LumenMax as well(possibly from the other thread) (similar but overall different design). Not plans though. Not sure what effect a vertical burn bulb has vs the horizontal insert

Also found these. Not sure of their size though. Sent an email today so probably won’t hear back until sometime during the week.
It would be interesting to see a reflector comparison between the three listed here and these grow systems/DIY set ups

It would be interesting to see a reflector comparison between the three listed here and these grow systems/DIY set ups

We need Sanjay.

Is he still around? I haven’t seen much from him but I haven’t particularly looked either

With metal halide barely holding on in the reef aquarium trade I am still a user. Starting a new build that will be 36" front to back so I need some large reflectors. With Hamilton just shutting down their manufacturing of all MH reflectors I'm left to buying used or building my own.

I know there were plans out there to build your own luminarc reflectors. I'm looking for plans for the larger reflectors but would also take plans for the smaller ones if someone had them. My search of the web has turned up for the most part empty. I was wondering if one of the members on here might still have a file on their computer and be able to share?

Also a place to buy large sheets of specular or highly polished aluminum sheets would be helpful as well?

Or if you had two old luminarc large, Hamilton cabo sun/cozumel sun reflectors in decent shape laying around that I could purchase?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
Maybe..

Back