Macro Algae Tank Journal (dialup Warning)

Mabuhay! from the Philippines.

I would like to have a thriving tank just like yours someday. KUDOS! I have a few questions, do you inject CO2 in your system? and what kind of saltmix do you use and how often do you perform WC?

thanks so much for any response.

Godbless

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12043111#post12043111 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mujacko2002
Mabuhay! from the Philippines.

I would like to have a thriving tank just like yours someday. KUDOS! I have a few questions, do you inject CO2 in your system? and what kind of saltmix do you use and how often do you perform WC?

thanks so much for any response.

Godbless

Thanks for the compliments - I do dose CO2, at less than 1 bps - this is just enough to get some of my algae to pearl (visually release oxygen). I use Reefcrystals for my salt mix, and perform 15 - 20 gallon (20~30%) water changes every 3 months.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11012249#post11012249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The_Wonderboy
More Fish that've been in the system fo a while:

\

More shots:

1002046dg2.jpg

(Yellow Roses)

1002042pc7.jpg

(Yellow Roses)

How many yellow roses do you have in your tank, and do they all get along?

I had originally put five into my system, but one jumped the first week :[ ....the rest of the four get along great - as there are plenty of shrimp to go around, and they seem to jump holes anyways - the worst I've seen are some mild fin-dispaying, but never any real aggresion :]

cool. I'm still debating on whether or not to get a couple of pistols and if so which ones. The tiger's look cool, but the randall's would add more color. Did you say you had both in different tanks? I still gotta figure out a way to start the macro in the tank w/o the mithrax gettin at it too fast.

I've had both species before, yes. I had one tiger in a seperate system - and the randallis in this system now. I much prefer the randallis - they are more colorful, I see them a lot more often (maybe cause there's 5 and not 1...) and the don't completely destroy my scape from digging because they are much smaller. To start the macros in your tanks - I would remove the mithrix crabs for a while - just catch them as you see them :]

Here's some fish and coral shots for everyone:

1002945ol6.jpg

1002950hh8.jpg

1002954gj5.jpg

1002956fq2.jpg

1002987bv4.jpg

1002980ok1.jpg

1002977ca1.jpg

1002973ef9.jpg

1002964ul9.jpg

1002957kk7.jpg

dang I love those pics! I just put in an order for 2 Randalli's, they'll be here Wed.. hopefully all goes well! I also thought of a way to start introducing macro into the tank and have it be out of reach of those darned mithrax. So hopefully I can start having a planted tank.

what kind of substrate is best for the planted only system?

I am using rock only bottom but may re-scape and add some sand?

also, wonderboy, what amounts of CO2 are you dosing and when did you begin dosing?

thanks

I've only used this Bahama oolite substrate... So I can't say what would be best. I think it would really depend on how mature and established the sand bed is. I started dosing co2 as soon as I felt I had enough algae in there to use it all. I dose at 1 bps.

Man. That was awesome. Nice thread and tank. Totally awesome!

Can you buy the gobies and shrimps already paired?

yeah, check www.liveaquaria.com 's diver's den daily, sometimes they pop up there w/ different kinds..yashia, hi-fins, draculas, etc. They're under the fish section if they're there (the paired ones). you'll usually get 2 gobies and 1 shrimp

Back