Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Not mine. I have mine literally right in the tank. The lights sit on a 4 inch wide peice of glass that I cut and laid across the tank to fit perfectly.

Boy, that is very different from my experience. In an earlier post I detailed my troubles with burning corals with 2 of the 165w fixtures over my 40B. These are extremely strong lights and I've burnt montis even on the bottom of the tank. My acros can be further up, but still my fixtures need to be kept at the lowest setting to avoid burning the corals. My lights are about 3.5 inches off the water (no glass shield like your application).

Boy, that is very different from my experience. In an earlier post I detailed my troubles with burning corals with 2 of the 165w fixtures over my 40B. These are extremely strong lights and I've burnt montis even on the bottom of the tank. My acros can be further up, but still my fixtures need to be kept at the lowest setting to avoid burning the corals. My lights are about 3.5 inches off the water (no glass shield like your application).

2 fixtures is a completely different ball game than just 1 with the optics removed....clearly if I see a problem with my set up, I'll consider moving them....

Have you been able to remedy your problem? Try removing the optics to allow for more spread and less intensity. This could help immensely.

Will 4 fixtures cover a 8ft tank ?

Yes, depending on your tank dimensions and the corals you plan to grow you could go with more but 4 units will cover.

Johnny, what are the dimensions?
I'd be inclined to go 3 of the 300wtters. U will get full length coverage that way and no spotlighting effects. I have 4 on the front row of my 145" 860g tank. These are great and get great water penetration.

I spliced the wires, soldered them and wrapped them in electrical tape. Shrink tubes would have been better but I didn't have any.
IMG_20151114_234839_zpsq9a6kpqk.jpg
Appreciate the write up... but next time you solder two wires together....
solder_wires.jpg

I will admit I have not read the entire thread however, I am interested in the Mars lights for economics. I have a 180 (6x2x2) that I want to light. I currently have fish and softies but plan to move towards sps and lps in the future. I am fairly handy and plan to make the holders. I do have a 48" reefbrite xho blue that I want to incorporate into the light set-up. What recommendations does everyone have for lighting my tank? Understand I may start with standard on/off and then move to dimmers, etc. so expandability is desired.

They are a lot stronger than people give them credit for. That said your problem may come from being way too close to the water, 10 inches would be preferable

If you know your way around arduino that would be my choice, I was never good at it so when I had it done I paid someone to haha, so I can't help beyond that. I know how to work the toggles to set it if I unplug it for some reason but beyond that nothing.

All that said it's much easier and cheaper to buy a wall timer

@Isaacs55 - Thanks for the picture showing the light spread.

I just placed my order for the 2 fixtures a minute ago, but it looks like I might also need to find some low rise 90 degree power cords, as I will only have about 1" above the fixture. I'm not sure the stock cords will bend enough to fit. It might work... will wait and see here in a few days once they show up.

(side note - I might hack these with an ESP-8266 to add WiFi dimming... it looks like these lights are PWM controlled best I can tell.)

Can you tell me how you plan on using the esp-8266? I'm very interested in your idea!

Thanks!

Back