Melev's new 280g Starfire tank thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the speed on my other PC, Again using wireless.
283586503.png

EDIT**Split, Cool. But I thought it was 999 posts. :rolleye1:

Last edited:
No need to resubscribe silly kids...or at least my account automatically followed the split, anyways.

I always resubscribe, or post something. :)

What was the question again? Oh yeah - blue legged hermits. Hermit crabs can be a problem, as they'll kill snails for their shells or for their meat. The ones I got are ultra-tiny, hardly visible. If I had my old camera, a picture would be a simple matter but for now I have one that doesn't like to take those tiny macros. :(

Emerald crabs - they tend to live about a year or so in my tank I think. I've never timed it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12744218#post12744218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
I always resubscribe, or post something. :)

What? Oh yeah ... :lol:

So I'm supposed to be asleep right now, but about an hour ago I thought I'd check on the reef with a flashlight to see what might be out. And I wasn't thrilled by what I saw.

I always add snails to my reef in a jar, that gives them a surface to grip and crawl out. As the flashlight passes over the jar, I see another bright orange worm for a second that retracted like lighting. And three snails were dead in the jar, half eaten! :mad2:

Again all the pumps are shut off, the canopy taken down, and I'm back up on a chair with a photo box, a flashlight and some forceps. This one was tricky, but I lunged and pinched and pulled out another 10" clam-eating worm from my reef.

As I studied the rockwork, I found another fatty that had to go, but this one eluded me. I did rip off its tail section, which spasmed like crazy. Too bad the bulk of that worm escaped into the substrate.

I saw at least two more. They are getting easier to spot, but if they aren't out and reachable, I just have to bide my time until the opportunity strikes.

Starting up a collection of these now. :rolleyes: This is a larger ziploc storage container.
2_worms.jpg

Off to bed. Sweet dreams, hopefully.

Wow Marc, that really does suck. I can just imagine you jumping into action when you spotted them. At least now you have a solid suspect on the clam murder.

It's too bad someone can't think of a way to capture them. Something like a lobster trap where they can squeeze in to get some food but can't get out the same way.

I can see what you're going to be doing the next few nights...

--Ed

If they have bristle or a rough part on their feed, you may be able to trap them by putting their favorite food in a small section of pantyhose. I catch regular bristleworms with a shrimp wrapped in pantyhose when I get a request for some. Their bristles get caught in the pantyhose and they cannot get away.

Tomoko

Finally! A use for my runs! You're a GENIUS! :thumbsup:

Want me to send you a pair Marc? Unless you got some laying around? lol

another good use for old nylons is filter socks on power heads when you first set up a tank and want to capture sand fines, and, they also make good bags to put carbon in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back