Melev's Roadtrip

melev

I'm driving to Arizona, probably on Friday the 13th if I can get everything done that needs doing. Here is the route of my trip.

melev_roadtrip.jpg

I thought it would be fun to make the trip more interesting, and perhaps visit a few reef tanks along the way. I'd really like to see npaden's tank in Lubbuck, for example. Perhaps someone in El Paso has a nice tank, and another in Tucson. Anyone in Flagstaff or Albuquerque?

Even more fun is if I can get the technology to cooperate. I'll have my laptop, and Starbucks offers WiFi. If I could post up a couple of images from my travels as I stop, this thread could be a blast.

So if you know of a good tank and it is reasonably close to this route, please let me know. I won't be staying long at each location, but I will be taking pictures to remember each visit.

Nothing is set in stone, and updates will be made to this thread as plans firm up.

How cool! I can't wait to see any pics.
Oh do I wish I had a tank.
*tries to beam up a tank to my home*

Have fun! I'll be watching this thread. :)

what's the purpose of the trip, fun or business? Oh, wait...that's the same thing for you right!

cool. I sure wish you could post (or maybe you have) and article detailing how you prepare for being away from your tank for extended periods.

I am going to be in the hospital next week and have very limited mobility for the month following so with the help of my son, I am trying to get ready:

1. Changing out carbon and GFO;

2. Cleaning skimmer;

3. Water change, make new water;

4. boosting alkalinity;

5. cleaning glass;

6. trying to move stuff that may cause a problem, and in some sense deal with HA. I am probably going to initiate a 1 hour nap in the light cycle for the entire time I am recovering, just to slow algal growth.

What else do you do when you leave on a trip?

Melev, i have a 300 reef display, 150 sump, and 75 fuge with sea horses. I would love if you came by to check it out. I am located on the scottsdale/tempe boarder. If you would like to come by, please PM me.

I've driven that loop! It is more scenic but slower on the northern leg. I want to say it took about 15 hours from Abilene, TX to Phoenix, AZ. But it was a looong time ago.

We'd love to have you stop in to see our setup. (you can't miss the scooter motor canopy tank, right?) I am right outside of Phoenix.

Lubbock would add about 3 hours to your trip based on that route or you would have to drive about 400 miles on back roads through Snyder, then Lubbock, Clovis, etc.

Since my son was born the tank has pretty much been on autopilot and really isn't much compared to it's glory days. Just a few soft corals and some fish. About the only thing even remotely worth seeing would be my 16" gigas clam.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14343359#post14343359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aztbs
I've driven that loop! It is more scenic but slower on the northern leg. I want to say it took about 15 hours from Abilene, TX to Phoenix, AZ. But it was a looong time ago.

We'd love to have you stop in to see our setup. (you can't miss the scooter motor canopy tank, right?) I am right outside of Phoenix.
I'm glad to see you chime in Tiff

This is a must see tank/setup in the Phoenix area Marc

I am thinking that your family is in prescott? I would suggest taking the back way up to prescott from phx. Take the 60 west to wickenburg, then north thru the mountains up to prescott. It's so much better then taking I-17 north out of phx. Plus that would take you right by my tank :D

hi marc, you are welcome to come by if you like, I have a 300g mixed reef, the equipment room is 50' away from the display to a room off my garage, also have a vfd powered closed loop that's rather interesting, would enjoy meeting you as well, I'm in Scottsdale just off the 101

Im nowhere near the route but I think this could be an awesome thread, Hope plenty of people chime in and you get some great shots. Im ready for great trip with out all the frustration of the slow cars clogging up the fast lane....thanks melev.

Back