Mistake to order 3,4 magnifica at once?

Hi Guys.
I've been looking for a healthy magnifica for a very long time. We just don't get many here locally and if we do, they are either sickly or way overpriced.
Well, I finally found a source for what appears to be some healthy magnifica AND they have 4 different color base variations, at a very reasonable price.
They have sent me photos and they all look great after 10 days at the store. They are about 6" to 8" in diameter, mouths tight, fully inflated, foot well seated, feeding responses, with no signs of deflation/inflation issues.
To add even more temptation to the mix, they will drop the price significantly if I order a couple at a time. This also helps evenly distribute shipping costs as its the same whether I order one or five. Hope to do airport to airport, shipped moist.
So, my question to you is:
Do I take advantage of this situation and get what I have always wanted, a healthy magnifica of each possible base coloration, likely 3 or 4 of them, at once?
I will get 3/4 separate 10 gallon quarantine stations ready for them just in case and will get the cipro on hand prior to their arrival.
My tank is a 150 gallon (50"x50"x14" tall with a 40 gallon sump) anemone specific reef, set up just for these anemones in mind.
Rockscape is shallow and each nem would have its own rock bommie to roost on, putting it about 4" to 6" below water surface. I have a lot of flow from 4 various powerheads (koralia, jebao).
I have two Kessil A360WE's and a 150 watt DE metal halide, and a 165 watt black box LED over the tank at this time. Tank is bright. I plan to eventually move to 4 A360's when the budget allows.
Mistake? Go for it?
Thanks for the advice.

I think you should go for it I usually never can just buy one anemone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the room and the QT space for them, go for it. If they are all well, it is fine but on arrival I would separate them and if they are sick I would treat them separately. IMO, and IME if you treat two anemones together you double the rate of failure and if you treat 4 together you quadruple the rate of failure. If one is sick, with all the inflating and deflating on arrival, he will pass it on to the others.
If you have to put them together initially, I would treat regardless of they are sick or not. With antibiotic in the water, the transmission rate of disease would drastically decrease.

Thanks guys! Looks like I'll only be getting two. They sold their last blue base, but they are holding a very unusual orange base and a nice pink/red base for me.

We have all been there and get excited about getting something nice in. The best advice I can give someone is to be patient. I have been collecting for over 10 years and finally happy with the stock I have. I have 12 Magnifica's currently. I only purchase one at a time or at the max 2 and treat completely separately.

Buying a couple at a time and treating at the same time (in different t-tanks) should be manageable. I say go for it also. The problem comes some time later, when you have a nice little collection of 7 (like I had with gigs) and your buddy decides to get out, you buy his collection of 5 (when you really don't have the room to start), then instantly you're at 12. For me, I collected my first 7 over the course of years, the second 5 came all in one day. Now I'm down to 9.
Trying to get 5 at one time to take foot and stay put was very very challenging. For me, 3 is the most I think I could handle treating at once. Any more than 3 and I can't give the attention to detail that they need in the beginning.

I agree with taylor_t. keeping multiple anemones in the same tank is difficult. The larger the number the harder. It really does not matter that you put them in a spot that you know is perfect for them, they will move. They don't have a brain but always know where is a perfect spot for them, that you with your brain cannot always predict.

My tank design allows for a very flexible rockscape layout that will adapt to the nem's preferred location. I simply have low, single rocks, sitting on the sand. Nothing is stacked. There is 16 square feet of floor space to spread out. We will see where they end up. Lights can also easily be moved to spot light the nem's as they desire. I've tried to keep this set up as flexible as possible to meet their needs.
I'm only getting two mags at this time. I'll see how they do and add to the collection slowly. Setting up two quarantine stations as we speak.

Back