Montipora digitata not growing

RevJDA

Premium Member
I have two montipora digitada's in my reef tank.. They look healthy and all respects. They have lots of polyps and extended. however, I have had them in my tank for over eight months with no new branches. The digitata species was supposed to be rapid growing. Can anyone give me an idea about what to check. I do weekly water changes. And watch all of my nutrient levels carefully.

I have two montipora digitada's in my reef tank.. They look healthy and all respects. They have lots of polyps and extended. however, I have had them in my tank for over eight months with no new branches. The digitata species was supposed to be rapid growing. Can anyone give me an idea about what to check. I do weekly water changes. And watch all of my nutrient levels carefully.

Do you have pictures of these pieces and their locations?

Do you have other SPS corals, and if so, are they growing?

Honestly, it could boil down to that they are just not happy where they are. Try moving them to a new location for a month or so and see if they start to grow. It could be that, or sometimes they just take a while to start growing. I have some pieces that are still frags after two years.

Depending on the size of the coral, you could try cutting a small frag off of it, and sometimes that helps stimulate new growth.

Thank you. I'll add a picture. I increased the light for the pictures.

Attachments

• 20230706_122810.jpg
    20230706_122810.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230706_122810.jpg
    20230706_122810.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
Thank you. I'll add a picture. I increased the light for the pictures.

Honestly, the frag looks pretty rough. From the picture it looks dead, if not then on its way out.

How does it look in person? To me it appears to have no underside flesh and polyps.

If not dead then I would remove, do an iodide based dip to help recovery and remount in a new location.

Do you know the PAR at the current location? If high, then I would move to lower PAR. If low, then move higher.

Honestly, the frag looks pretty rough. From the picture it looks dead, if not then on its way out.

How does it look in person? To me it appears to have no underside flesh and polyps.

If not dead then I would remove, do an iodide based dip to help recovery and remount in a new location.

Do you know the PAR at the current location? If high, then I would move to lower PAR. If low, then move higher.
Agree completely, looks very rough.

Back