My 10 Gallon Reef Project??

dcombs44

Yep. I think that's what I'm going to do for now.

Here are the initial specs:

Tank: 10 Gallon
Skimmer: None
Lighting: Not Quite Sure (175 Metal Halide??)
Substrate: Aragonite Sand
Circulation: 2 - Maxi Jet Powerheads
Filtration/Aeration: HOB Filter

I'm not sure if I can keep it stable, but I think I'll give it a shot. It won't cost me much to get it running, and it won't require extensive maintenance. That's what I'm going for.

..........and so it begins

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dk7hvaQgHo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dk7hvaQgHo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I found an old Marineland power filter that I had stuffed away. It's rated for 75 gallons. It's good enough size that I can use the chambers in it for a refugium of sorts. The pieces of rock are made up mostly of dead coral and small pieces of rubble that I saved. I need to get some sand, build the stand, and get the RO/DI running, and I'll be i business.

looks good. i think it will be fine at least it will be water in a tank. that will feed the need for a while. I have seen some real nice small tanks. no need for a lot of tech stuff just change a couple gallon a week and you are fine. if your ever up this way i will have some frags for you.

That's what I was thinking. Low maintenance, no dosing, simple water changes, low electricity bills, etc. etc.

I was thinking about bare bottom, so flow wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not sure it'll work. I'm gonna need that surface area for biological filtration.

I think you will need sand if you have no where else for biological filtration. I think a 175w mh will be way to much and keeping the temp down will be impossible.

I agree about the sand. Probably going to definitely need it.

I've gotten a few responses and read a few other instances of people using metal halide over a 10 gallon. I think I'll set it up and try it out first. If I can't keep the temp down, I'll have to go another route.

just don't keep the light too close to the tank and you may be ok. if the top is open and have good air flow it may not be a big deal. if you have a closed canopy i am sure it is going to be an issue.

Yeah. I plan on suspending it over an open top. I guess I'll just test it out and go from there.

Got any thoughts on some cheap, more appropriate lighting options?

So...I'm thinking I may splurge just a bit and buy a ReefKeeper Lite for the tank.

With a tank volume this small, I really want to be sure that I have good control over the temperature, and I don't trust the thermostats on heaters.

For $100, I'll be able to control the heater, lights, and a fan to heat and cool the tank. Then if I upgrade in the future, I can buy more add ons for the controller to suit my needs.

IMO, if you have the light, go ahead and use the 175w.
If not, I would definately look into LEDs.....cost is high, but lower power usage and low heat.

I will definitely try the 175 MH first. If it's too much heat, I will probably go with a pair of Nova T5 fixtures. Fosters and Smith have 2 bulb 20" fixtures for $50 each. I'd love LED, but too pricey for what I'm going for at the moment, which is a tank on a budget :).

If you need some sand (free) and you are not to far away I have some I took out of my BioCube. Took it out and sealed it up in a bag. Probably 20 lbs.

Looks like we're 3 hours apart or so. Thanks for the offer.

I'm going to put an order in to Premium Aquatics this weekend, so I'll just tack it on to the order.

Thanks again.

Well, the frame of the stand is done. It's pretty much way over built and heavy.
Having trouble getting it good and level, but there's not a level surface in my house, so it's difficult to tell.

Heading out now to bum a piece of plywood for the top.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjgtMjAxMDA0MDgtMTkxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjktMjAxMDA0MDgtMTkxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzAtMjAxMDA0MDgtMTkxN.jpg

Well, the platform that the tank rests on is not planar, and I'm not sure why. The tank trim isn't setting flush on the stand by 1/8". I've given up for the night.

Final chore was testing out the old 175 ballast (it works) and pulling a fan out of an old computer. I had a 6 volt transformer tucked away, so I wired it up to help with cooling the tank. Probably going to pick up a 12 volt transformer when I get a chance to get a bit more breeze from the fan.

Back to the drawing board tomorrow with the stand.

I've been mulling this over since last night. I guess I'll take the top frame off today and start toying with it to see what the issue is. That's obviously where the problem lies, but I can't figure why.

I may loosen all the screws and see if I can't wrench it around to get it to a level plane. Frustrating, but a minor bump....

If I can get that figured, I think I'm going to start building a box for the light. I think 1x6s should do the trick for a simple box. I'll screw in some eye hooks and suspend it from the floor joists. There's no joist directly above the tank, so I'm thinking I'll attach a closet track between the joists to make it easy to center the light.

I've got a couple things to order before I can get it up and going...

1) Replacement canisters for my RO/DI (mine froze and cracked this winter)
2) Reefkeeper Lite (To control lights, heater, and fan)
3) Visi-Therm Stealth Heater
4) Sand

After I get the sand in, I should be able to work on the rockscape. I plan to use plastic hangers to stabilize the rock. When the canisters get here, I'll get it filled up and see if I can't get this thing cycled.

I plan to use all dead rock and to quarantine everything that goes into the tank. I don't want to deal with the pests that I've dealt with in the past. I'm thinking I'll cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom of the stand and keep the quarantine tank underneath the display. It will also be a 10 gallon.

........but, to get to that stage, I gotta fix the stand. :)

Worked on the stand a bit at lunch time. I ended up shimming under the plywood top. Once I got the tank to set flush, I tightened the screws back down and placed shims in the gaps created by the other shims. I then leveled the posts. So, at the moment, the tank is setting level and the top surface is now a level plane. Tonight, I'll use would filler in the gaps left by the shims just to clean up the look of the stand.

Internet has been out all weekend. Friggin Comcast.

Didn't get too much done this weekend on the tank. Got the stand frame cleaned up and am currently water testing the tank and filter. Thinking about working on stand doors and trim this week.

Back