My 10 Gallon Reef Project??

Well, I said I wouldn't post, but I lied.

I'm thinking about springing for a Lumen Bright Pendant to hang over the tank. It's recommended to hang them 18-20 inches off the surface which will help with my heat concerns, and it will be a nice clean look. Anyone have any experience with the Lumen Brights?

Looks like a finished pendant runs about $130, so I'll probably put it off for a while, but I think that may be the route I go.

OK.........I've been thinking hard over the last 24 hours about this whole plan.

I'm thinking.......I'm gonna drill the tank. Even though this is a small setup, I still want it to look clean.

I'm thinking I'll run the 10 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. I may go back to square one on the stand though. I'm thinking I might just tear it apart and start over, but I'm not sure. I'm only out about $20 on it right now, and I've got plenty of paneling left.

Ahh....I just don't know, I'm so torn on things at the moment. I just don't know if I'd be happy with the huge power filter hanging off the back of the tank.....

I dunno....Maybe I'll make a decision this weekend. Even though it's small tank, I want it to be nice and clean.....

Maybe I should've just saved the money......

Yeah, maybe so.

I tried to squeeze a 10 gallon tank under the stand last night, but it wouldn't fit. Any ideas on what I could use as a little sump?

Haha....I promised myself I wouldn't do that.

Still, I can't fit the 10 gallon in the cabinet I built to use for a sump. It'd have to set outside the stand, and I don't really want to do that. And......I don't think a bigger tank will fit on top either.

So, for now, I'll work with the 10 gallon.

I called Premium Aquatics last night and got a steal of a deal. Got a single ended PFO hanging MH pendant for $39.

I May be able to cut out enough room for a 10 gallon sump under the stand and not sacrifice any stability.

Still got lots of work to do.

If I drill it, I'll order a Glass Holes Nano overflow. $45 and it comes shipped with hole saw, bulkheads, and street elbow.

Don't you love how these projects always cost about 12 times more than you plan.

Don't you love how these projects always cost about 12 times more than you plan.

this is reefing a budget is just a jumping off point!!!!!!! i am one of those people that does not keep track so i do not know how much money i have spent!!!!

Unfortunately, when you have a wife that is as free spending as mine is, you have to keep a budget. If I didn't, the bills wouldn't get paid. She spends it like it's water, so I have to ration accordingly. Sadly, that means most of my projects take longer than expected since there's only so much left over to work with.....

:)

You know Ive had a 75 sitting on a stand with some plumbing dry for 2 years now. I keep changing my mind. the ole lady is on my butt about getting it fired up . I wish I would have stuck to my original plan and just did it. I did get my 75 gallon freshwater moved to my house finally and set up last week, now I just need to move my 55g reef.

So what Im trying to say is stick to your original plan or you will end up like me. Confused on where to start.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I've got my plan together now though.

If this is going to be my only tank, I'd might as well spend a little extra up front to make it look nice and clean. I just don't want the big HOB filter hanging off of the display.

I can use a reciprocating saw to cut down the legs inside the stand to fit a tank under there. The inside legs do not bear any weight, so this won't cause any structural problems. Drilling a 10 gallon for an overflow will be simple with the glass holes kit, and they're cheap. Once my Premium Aquatics order gets here, I'll be pretty much set. I shouldn't have to make any more purchases to get it going......Then I'll just need the motivation to set it all up.

I had planned to work on the stand more last night, but I had a more pressing issue :)

My XBox 360 died a couple nights ago (out of warranty of course), so I spent the night ripping it apart to try and fix it. I used one of the internet guides to try and replace the clamps on the heat sinks and overheat the processors to melt the solder points back together. I'm waiting on some thermal compound before I can finish. I'll have way too much unwasted time without my xbox :).

Be careful when drilling the 10 gallon. I've cracked a couple of 10 gal tank when drilling and then also when installing the bulkhead. Too much pressure can easily crack the tank.

IMO, I would buy a piece of glass and silicone it to the outside of the tank for support. Then you could almost eliminate cracking the tank (still possible, but less likely).

That's a good idea.

I figured there was a pretty good chance of cracking glass that thin, but I just figured I'd be out $10 and buy another.

Thanks for the idea!

Premium Aquatics order will be here today. Not sure I'll get to anything this weekend, but should be able to get rolling next week.

Got my sand, 2 part, light pendant, and Reef Keeper Lite.

Got the firmware on the controller updated over the weekend.

Placed my order for a glass-holes overflow kit this morning.

Here's what I've got to do before I can get something wet. :)

1) Finish up the god forsaken stand.
2) Design and assemble my rock structure
3) Paint and drill the tank
4) Install the overflow
5) Buy a small cutting board to place under rock work.
6) Have glass cut for sump and for added support when drilling.
7) Assemble Sump.
8) Plumb overflow and return
9) Hang Light Fixture
10) Program and Mount Controller
11) Get water mixed
12) Wash Sand

Lots to do, but all the parts are just about here. I have Thursday afternoons off, so I'm giving myself this week and next to get the thing set up with water in it. Probably do a bit each evening and then spend my Thursdays and Saturdays doing the most grunt work.

Getting close, but still far away.

I've been scouting a bunch of sites for good zoanthid sources, and I think I've got some good ones.

Thanks!

They look to have some nice stuff and fairly reasonable prices.

Good to hear from you. Don't be a stranger here!!

Do you have any tanks at the moment cjae?

It's about 1.5 hours to St. Louis for me, so going and hand picking with no shipping costs would far outweigh the fuel cost to get there.

Dude. I just stocked my tank with coral for $100!!

They have zoa packs - 5 frags for $50.

2 of those packs will more than stock my 10 gallon. Guaranteed no duplicates, guaranteed no commons, no browns, no dulls.

That's perfect. Thanks cory.

---------------------------------------

As an update on my setup, I did some stand modification last night. I cut down the back inside legs in order to fit a sump under the stand. The legs were not load bearing. My overflow has been shipped, so when it arrives, I'll get some glass cut to get it installed.

Tonight's goal is to paint my display, which will be quick, and use up the trim I have left on the stand. I'm just about out, so I don't know that I'll be able to finish. Also want to get some eye hooks and hang my lights.

The stand has been the biggest stumbling block with this whole deal. Ending up being more costly than I'd hoped.

I currently have a 120 that houses my snowflake eel, a powder brown, and some chromis. I have been having problems adding fish. a few year back I got a convict tang that had something and wiped out about $600.00 worth of fish - I guess not a good idea to put new fish directly into the display. Thought I had it gone, added a harlequin tusk, and Annualris Angel, and they got what ever it is and Died. I have decided the 120 will be dedicated for the snowflake eel, and I have set-up a 20 recently to start out fresh. I have also decided all my future fish purchases will be with reputable online vendors. Glad you found some Zoa's - maybe I will have to drive down when they start overgrowing your tank to take some frags off your hands.

Sounds good.

I guess zomania and gateway operate out of the same shop.

It'll obviously be a bit before I can go up there, but those are pretty good prices for what I need.

here is antoher place that a guy from work orders from that I think is in the St. Louis area. He has had some really good luck. http://www.thereefspot.com/ - not sure if I can post these links on here or not, if I shouldn't let me know an I will delete them. When I ordered from Zoamania I didn't get to pick I am not sure the Zoas are at the store, but they will take the order there to be picked up. That's how they did it a few years back. Good luck.

Back