My 112G Cube Build Thread. I'm baaaaaaack!!

its nice you still have the true percula
its funny i had a lot of designer clownfish and i still like the true percula the most.

its nice you still have the true percula

its funny i had a lot of designer clownfish and i still like the true percula the most.

Yeah. I couldn't agree more. I prefer my clowns the way Mother Nature intended. I think the designer clowns are too trendy. Just my preference.

Turned out a great tank! Well done!

Sorry for all the questions but could you tell me where you got the leveling feet for your stand?

Thanks in advance!

a little off topic. Can I ask what you camera you use to take pictures of your corals/tank?? what lenses if you have a specific one? and what lights do you keep on for pictures? (all white? all blue? mixed? actinic?)

I'm going to learn on a friend's 7D. all my pictures come out like this on auto mode... pretty ugly
10496957_10100721504700790_8228634073693613764_o.jpg

a little off topic. Can I ask what you camera you use to take pictures of your corals/tank?? what lenses if you have a specific one? and what lights do you keep on for pictures? (all white? all blue? mixed? actinic?)

I'm going to learn on a friend's 7D. all my pictures come out like this on auto mode... pretty ugly
10496957_10100721504700790_8228634073693613764_o.jpg

I use a Canon 5D Mark II. The primary lens that i use for tank shots is the 100mm/2.8 macro. This lens is extremely sharp and probably one of the sharpest in Canons line.

All of my photos were taken with the lights all on which is a mix of blues and whites. For the top down shots I use a photobox handheld. For other shots I always use a steady tripod with an adjustable 3-way head. In my case I have a Manfrotto tripod like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_mt055xpro3_aluminum_tripod_808rc4_head.html
A good, stable, and adjustable tripod is extremely important and makes macro photography easy.

Oh yeah, don't use auto mode for macro photography. I always use either manual, or one of the custom modes. I never use auto. Practice on objects outside of the aquarium first. When you've mastered that, I would switch to the aquarium. An aquarium with the lights and glass and water really adds a level of complexity that isn't easy to deal with. It takes a lot of practice. Shut off all pumps, use a remote trigger or timer, learn how to post process in Lightroom or Photoshop, know your equipment and it's limitations and don't hesitate to open up that shutter for extended periods as long as everything is stable and still.

Download an exif viewer on your computer and see what settings everyone else uses for their shots. Visit the photography forum here on RC too and post samples and ask for others opinions. HTH. :)

thanks :) I really appreciate the explanations. I'll try some flowers for beginners. Hope when I get better, the tank will be worth photographing

How is the tank doing? Did the algae problem go away for good? Would love to see updated coral shots if possible please. :) Many thanks.

How is the tank doing? Did the algae problem go away for good? Would love to see updated coral shots if possible please. :) Many thanks.

Tank doing great. The blackout that I did really did the trick. It was amazing how well it worked. I don't have a single strand of hair algae anymore. In fact I don't have any nuisance algae in the tank. The only things growing on the rock are coralline and sps.

The tank still looks bare to me and I'm now in the process of getting rid of the "tester" sps before they really take hold and replacing them with the more permanent sps. In particular I want to find some of the sps that I had in my old tank that I was really attached to. If anyone has frags they want to sell me, let me know! I'm on vacation until the 5th and have a lot of time to work on stocking the tank. :)

I'm looking for:
Green slimer
Pink jade
Emerald sky
Red planet
Ponape birds nest
Pearlberry

I'll post an updated pic later when lights come on.

I also have the following corals to offer up for trade. If you have any of the above sps that I am looking for, even better!

4" diameter colony of purple cap
4" long frag of forest fire digitata
Small encrusted frag plug of Bennet tort

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419631701.935553.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419631618.923942.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419631580.858644.jpg

Only blue LEDs are on so ignore the weird psychedelic colors.

Ramon, I have red planet. I googled the Emerald sky stag. I have a stag from reef raft that looks similar to it. It also looks similar to the lime in the sky stag. If you want either, let me know. But, I won't take your money.

Will/bustayanky has pink jade. He has a fs thread currently running on this forum

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Rik. I just sent him a PM. Hopefully he's free this weekend.

I'm definitely interested in the frags you're offering. Thanks for the generous offer. Will you at least take one (or all) of the frags i am offering up? How about a bag of IO salt? :). Anything?!? When are you free?

Thanks for the heads up Rik. I just sent him a PM. Hopefully he's free this weekend.

I'm definitely interested in the frags you're offering. Thanks for the generous offer. Will you at least take one (or all) of the frags i am offering up? How about a bag of IO salt? :). Anything?!? When are you free?
Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm around all weekend. I'm a little over an hour from lax if there's light traffic

Ramon, you've been incredibly generous to this reefing community. It's no problem extending you the same courtesy

Last edited:
This is a pic of the red planet but I have a frag cut for someone I missed at the swap but it's no prob to cut him another or I can cut you one fresh. Directly behind it you can see the stag. Sorry, not the best shot taker

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 2
Nope. Nope. Nope. I'm around all weekend. I'm a little over an hour from lax if there's light traffic

Ramon, you've been incredibly generous to this reefing community. It's no problem extending you the same courtesy

Hey Rik. Thanks for the kind words. I thought you were out in Whittier for some reason. When did you move to Palmdale? Let me see if I can combine a trip out to you with another errand. I'll let you know.

hey rik. Thanks for the kind words. I thought you were out in whittier for some reason. When did you move to palmdale? Let me see if i can combine a trip out to you with another errand. I'll let you know.

1993 :)

Go skiing in mammoth. I'm on the way up or back

Here is a quick video i put together on my phone just now. :)

Hope it works!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/3786883087_ZNGhDj3?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

1993 :)

Go skiing in mammoth. I'm on the way up or back
Hahaha! When are you taking your daughter back to the airport? :)
Actually, in the last couple hours i've been contacted by a few more "local" reefers offering things up. But i'll keep your offer in mind as a backup!

Back