My 120 SPS tank growth shots and top-downs

Amazing growth,do you dose two part everyday and since when have you been dosing.

I run the 2 part kit (actually three part - Ca, Alk, and Mg solutions) from bulk reef supply.

I have been running them since I commissioned the tank. I just adjust them up or down as needed.

I use the LiterMeter III 3 Peristaltic Dosing pump/controller with 3 pumps.

Thanks.

Very sexy top-downs. To be honest i would probably end up moving all the coral from around that milli and just letting it grow grow grow. It's gorgeous.

Awesome corals. Do you feed your corals anything. Do you run carbon or GFO. Also, how often do you do water changes. TIA.

Thanks for the compliment!

1. Generally, I do not target feed. I squirted clam eggs for a couple months back about a year ago and I tried reef chili, but did not notice anything.

I squirt a couple cubes of baby brine shrimp once a month or so - if that often now.

I do feed mysis shrimp to the brain and favia corals about once a month. It is a bit of a pain as the shrimp and crabs swoop in to eat it from them so I have to guard them with a turkey baster. FYI regarding my fish feeding, I feed the fish once or twice a day a couple cubes - mysis and brine shrimp daily...and a few pellets of sinking food or a pinch of flake food from time to time. I also feed seaweed selects green algae sheets on a clip every morning.

2. I do typically run carbon (a cup or two in a reactor) with a 600 lph maxijet pump, but no GFO.

3. I generally average about a 20 gallon water change once a month lately.

I'll post some pictures of my pumps/sump/refugium/RODI/water change system for reference tomorrow.

Any more questions, let me know!

Last edited:
How do you like the Euroreef skimmer? Loud?

It is OK. The pump is rather basic - a modified GenX. I have not heard a high-end pump, but from research I am gathering the better pumps are quieter. I replaced the rotor with a Vertex brand replacement (it is nearly identical) and it was much quieter. It hums pretty good, but since it is in the basement it is not a bother. I would not want it under tank in my TV room though!

I regularly have to replace that rotor/impellor about every 6-9 months even with my regular cleanings.

Except for some of the pump issues, it does work well. It captures some good skimmate.

Last edited:
Nice stuff!

Can you get a shot of your millie under normal lighting? Thx.

Sure! I will take some better ones tomorrow, but here are couple for starters from last month.

MH and VHO lighting
Coral3_11152009_2.jpg

VHO + camera flash
Corals_TopDown30_11252009.jpg

Corals_TopDown29_11252009.jpg

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to more info on your system.

Thanks for the compliment!

1. Generally, I do not target feed. I squirted clam eggs for a couple months back about a year ago and I tried reef chili, but did not notice anything.

I squirt a couple cubes of baby brine shrimp once a month or so - if that often now.

I do feed mysis shrimp to the brain and favia corals about once a month. It is a bit of a pain as the shrimp and crabs swoop in to eat it from them so I have to guard them with a turkey baster. FYI regarding my fish feeding, I feed the fish once or twice a day a couple cubes - mysis and brine shrimp daily...and a few pellets of sinking food or a pinch of flake food from time to time. I also feed seaweed selects green algae sheets on a clip every morning.

2. I do typically run carbon (a cup or two in a reactor) with a 600 lph maxijet pump, but no GFO.

3. I generally average about a 20 gallon water change once a month lately.

I'll post some pictures of my pumps/sump/refugium/RODI/water change system for reference tomorrow.

Any more questions, let me know!

man im jealous! I cant get half the growth he has.
Im starting to think it has to do with my weak reflectors.
I want to upgrade so bad

Here are some tank design info.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to elaborate on the system.

Front of tank with light and fan cabinet above.
tank4.jpg

Underside of tank cabinet
tank3.jpg

Rear of tank is a set of shelves. This allows work access, but otherwise hidden.
tank2.jpg

tank5.jpg

Here are some of my sump / basement reef room
sump2.jpg

sump1.jpg

Last edited:
bwyoung,

What media are you running in the PM reactor in your sump. Also, how are you running it. Is it on 24/7 or do you take it off line at some point. Thanks.

Amazing tank. Congrats! I think I'm going to be trying 10k's now

Thanks. A friend had used these bulbs and I liked how bright they are. I tried some Hamilton 14Ks for a couple days to see if I could change the day color of the tank, but my anemones got upset in a few days and it was noticeably dimmer. So I quickly went back to these.

I may try them again in the future since my growth is getting out of control in some ways!

I'll post some full tank shots with the MHs on. They are just about fully warmed up now for the day...

Back