My 210 tank build

I've made a bunch of progress since my last post in organizing things better. The latest issue I ran into is one of the power supplies went out and then another went out the following day for my Solaris. The 72" Solaris has 3 power supplies. The power supplies were known to go out and with PFO filing bankruptcy I'm not going to get any warranty work done.

I took the DIY approach and decided to make my own replacements. I picked up 3 cheap power supplies from my local PC store. I picked up three 550w ATX power supplies @ $39.95 each on sale (might as well replace all 3). The stock ones were rated at 400w so they shouldn't have to run as hard to drive the Solaris. I also like that the new power supplies have big fans on them so they should run cooler than the original units.

DSC05562.jpg

After clipping the wires not needed, soldering the wires, and installing the plug from the old unit.
DSC05563.jpg

The finished product
DSC05564.jpg

Here you can see the three new power supplies hooked up and running. For comparison there is one of the original power supplies sitting next to them.
DSC05567.jpg

Everything fired up the first time and is working great. I just need to mount up the new power supplies this weekend to get them off the floor.

More pics to come..........

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm getting there.

Ok here are the rest of the updates I promised. Let me warn you I've been busy.

I managed to get my 1" sea swirls hooked up. I run them off my Dart pump and valve it down a little bit. They are doing a good job randomizing the flow but the Vortechs really push a majority of the flow in the tank.

front
DSC05570.jpg

back
DSC05572.jpg

I changed up the configuration of my storage stand and removed the old calc reactor and put my feed doser for my new calc reactor in it's place. I managed to build a shelf and tuck it away. The ATO on top gravity feeds to the sump.

DSC05578.jpg

DSC05577.jpg

Here are some pics of the frag tank that ties to the main sump. Below I stored the calc reactor, C02 tank, and some of my tank supplies. I'm hoping a side benefit of the larger calc reactor will be that I can run it at a higher PH so it has less of an impact on the tank PH.

DSC05574.jpg

DSC05573.jpg

I was able to get my controller hooked up. It's a Reef Keeper Elite and it controls everything on my main tank, frag tank, C02, lighting, and the pump for my water storage in the garage. I can pump salt water to the tank for water changes or pump fresh water to fill the ATO from the controller. I can basically control everything from one point. Here's some shots of how I mounted everything.

DSC05579.jpg

DSC05580.jpg

DSC05581.jpg

DSC05582.jpg

Last edited:
I've been trying to maxmize the space I have while keeping everything as compact as possible.

Next thing I plan on tackling is covering the stand on the main tank to reduce some of the noise and clean up the look some. I like the wide open feel and accessiblity of the sump now. When I enclose it I want to be able to remove it easily for maintenance.

Yep she's really doing good. Can't wait to let her go in the big tank. Now I know why that fish is so phat it eats like a pig.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15321323#post15321323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by screamincamaro
Yep she's really doing good. Can't wait to let her go in the big tank. Now I know why that fish is so phat it eats like a pig.

hahhahaah I told you. she needs an exercise plan. Wow I am amazed by this tank. I love all the details. I cant wait to see it in person. awesome tank.

Ok, I have the same step motor/ control as this pic..... and a head but can't find the LS 16 tubing in less than say... 200 feet and $$$$

My head is C/P head 7016-20

Where did you get yours?... or that head? or what tubing are you using?

I want this to pump to work and feed my calcium reactor, and you are a step ahead of me! :)

DSC05580.jpg

I bought the setup from a local reefer. I have an easy load 7518-10 on mine and the tubing that came with it is 06404-16. I haven't had to buy replacement tubing yet.

The goal for me was to just add more capacity over my existing reactor and I've haven't had problems with tank PH. If I have any issues with tank PH I would look to add a second chamber.

If I find a deal on replacment tubing I'll PM you.

Guys, here's where I bought the tubing, still a lifetime supply but better than 200 ft. There are lots of other sizes and materials available but this was right for my setup.

Tubing

If the size works for you PM me your addy and I can send a chunk via mail, I forgot I had it, think I only have about 49 1/2 ft left.

Thanks!

now, I know this is a few months old.. but for the background, have you considered getting a piece of black (or blue) really thin acrylic, cutting it to fit behind the plumbing and putting it behind the tank as a removable background? I saw it done a few years back...

I am doing an inwall, and unwilling to paint it becase that viewing space is too precious back there when you loose the front... I do like a nice black background though

Last edited:
I'm just getting ready to finish off the stand but yes I've been comtemplating getting a background. I think black plexi is the only way I'd do it also. My home office is the room the tank is located in and I kind of like to be able to see in it while in the office (even though it is the backside of the aquarium). I'll probably end up going that route and the good thing is , to your point, it will be removeable.

I have used black roll paper (the kind you see at schools for crafts) and it was nice that it was removable, though it really lost a lot of color after a month or so, like any construction paper does.

My 300 tank build

My 300 tank build

Just a few pics of the new 300 tank. I have some red slime I need to kick and before I move in the new frags. Also still need to do some wiring organization along with some other odds and ends but everything seems to be working out good.

The sump I ended up partitioning in half. One half I use to mix salt and temperature acclimate the water and the other half I use for the drains, skiimmer, top off float, etc.

DSC05999.jpg

DSC06000.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

DSC06001.jpg

DSC06006.jpg

Last edited:
Back