My 240g FOWLR

One more question! If I do get the golden semilarvatus it will have to go into the QT with the Eritrean which is a 55 gallon QT do think that's large enough to QT both butterfly's with out fighting?

I don't see a problem QT'ing all 3 fish in a 55g tank. In fact that tank (I assume 4' long) is big enough to separate into two halves with eggcrate if need be.

Yes I did think about eggcrate to use if I needed to I hope if I get them they will get alone but if needed eggcrate can be used
Thanks !!

My semilarvatus is a bit of a *****, but he's never bothered the paucifasciatus, surprisingly.

Most of my butterflies are several years old, and most eat pellets at this point.

My feeding generally consists of pellets first (ON, NLS, HBH)
Then some sort of frozen (Hikari mysis, PE mysis, various plankton brands, ON cubes, scallop, shrimp, clam)

Occasionally they'll get a treat of live blackworms at the end of the night to really fatten them up.

Awesome tank and fish, I'm really growing to like Butterflies more and more and can't figure out why I don't have any! Your list of Butterflies is fantastic.

I don't know what it is about the left side, but I would play around with the rockwork, it looks a bit "unnatural" to me, like it is "too stacked" or something....just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Awesome tank and fish, I'm really growing to like Butterflies more and more and can't figure out why I don't have any! Your list of Butterflies is fantastic.

I don't know what it is about the left side, but I would play around with the rockwork, it looks a bit "unnatural" to me, like it is "too stacked" or something....just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks, and no, you are 100% correct. Somehow the stacking and placement of the rocks on that side ended up making them all in the same vertical or horizontal plane, making a sort of grid pattern. I need to work on it. I figured I'd change it once I do pillars on the right, and add more sand too.

Your tank is looking great, and your fish assortment is amaing. I have no idea how you have managed to keep so many butterflies alive but what ever you are doing, it must be right. They are so hard to keep from my past experience trying

Your tank is looking great, and your fish assortment is amazing. I have no idea how you have managed to keep so many butterflies alive but what ever you are doing, it must be right. They are so hard to keep from my past experience trying

Thanks very much, it was no walk in the park for me at first.

First thing I learned. QT is a must... prepare at the very least cupramine and a broad spectrum med like nitrofuracin green powder.

Second thing: QT is a must, this time to give them opportunity to learn to accept food.

Third thing: Forget prepared foods at first. Go with grocery store seafood meats like shrimp, scallop, and clam. Also, nowadays, some frozen foods like PE mysis and such. Basically, hope they accept pellets over time (months to years) but don't expect it.

Fourth. Good water quality. A big skimmer, and good water change schedule.

Fifth: Non-aggressive tankmates (for most).

Thanks very much, it was no walk in the park for me at first.

First thing I learned. QT is a must... prepare at the very least cupramine and a broad spectrum med like nitrofuracin green powder.

Second thing: QT is a must, this time to give them opportunity to learn to accept food.

Third thing: Forget prepared foods at first. Go with grocery store seafood meats like shrimp, scallop, and clam. Also, nowadays, some frozen foods like PE mysis and such. Basically, hope they accept pellets over time (months to years) but don't expect it.

Fourth. Good water quality. A big skimmer, and good water change schedule.

Fifth: Non-aggressive tankmates (for most).

I think my biggest problem was not following your fifth rule and that might have been what set me up for failure.

Maybe in the distant future I will set up another tank for just butterfly's like yours. Before I do, I need to set up a tang and angel tank and then I can consider it

I think my biggest problem was not following your fifth rule and that might have been what set me up for failure.

Maybe in the distant future I will set up another tank for just butterfly's like yours. Before I do, I need to set up a tang and angel tank and then I can consider it

No offense, but that's the least likely, if all the others were followed, to be an issue ;)

I bought the golden also! So my 2 butterfly's should be here Friday alone with my regal orange Red Sea angel. I'm excited! I have lots if tangs and 3 angels but never a butterfly! I have read all your post here! Just added another HOB filter now I got 2 on my 55 gallon QT if the 2 butterfly's fight I will install eggcrate but if they do good together in QT I will know they should be ok together in a DT. You have really helped me out lots ! I have 2 nice DT with tangs, angels and clowns can't wait to see how my butterfly's do! All 3 of my fish coming in Friday are from the Red Sea I will keep ya posted and post pics when I get them! I think I counted 29 fish on your list!! Very nice tank! Just goes to show what water quality can do!

Tangs,angels ,HT, triggers, clowns I tell them if you act ugly to each other you going into the sump s few days! Lol. Butterfly's may not listen to me! Lol
So I might need lots of luck!
Thanks!! I will keep ya posted !

Awesome tank as always SD. I would love to add more butterflys . Right now i only have a semilarvatus . I lost three b/f's during the Sandy storm last year. 2 questions:

Can i add another semilarvatus even if mine has been in the DT for a year now?
How long have you had that Rock beauty as those guys are so hard to keep. Had one for six months and one day just stopped eating!

btw I have large angels in the DT but they dont seem to care about the butterflys.

Back