My 240g FOWLR

Good to see an update Peter. Feels like this forum and especially this part of the forum is crickets compared to what it used to be.

You don’t by chance have any of Ted’s info? It would be nice to see an update from him. Maybe send a PM if you do.

Good to see an update Peter. Feels like this forum and especially this part of the forum is crickets compared to what it used to be.

You don’t by chance have any of Ted’s info? It would be nice to see an update from him. Maybe send a PM if you do.

Not sure about Ted... while his FB page was somewhat active, it appears that he himself hasn't posted on it since July 2018. He did check-in on FB to a LFS in January of 2019. I sent him a message via FB. Hope he is OK?

Last edited:
Not sure about Ted... while his FB page was somewhat active, it appears that he himself hasn't posted on it since July 2018. He did check-in on FB to a LFS in January of 2019. I sent him a message via FB. Hope he is OK?

That's a shame, I'm not sure anyone really understood what his collection really meant to RC or to the hobby. So much rarity in one tank.

Looks good!

Thanks. Somehow I ended up with ich in the tank (I assume transferred from QT via a cup, feeding utensil, tubing, something like that). Cupramine was successful, though there were some losses.

Here's an updated list of the inhabitants.

Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2 – moved from the fuge to the main diusplay.
Apolemichthys trimaculatus
Apolemichthys xanthurus – currently in the fuge looking for a new home.
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon mertensii - died from ich.
Chaetodon lunula x 2
Chaetodon vagabundus x 1 - one died from ich.
Chaetodon kleini
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chrysiptera parasema x 2
Chrysiptera talboti
Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ecsenius midas - accidentally killed by me when I left him high and dry in his hole during a water change :(
Forcipiger flavissimus - disappeared one day. I *think* his remains eventually found their way to the Tunze.
Genicanthus lamarck – M/F pair
Halichoeres chrysus x 2
Halichoeres melanurus
Hemitaurichthys polylepis x 3
Hemitaurichthys zoster x 2
Holacanthus tricolor
Labroides dimidiatus
Microcanthus strigatus
Paracanthurus hepatus - I was getting too many comments about all the yellow in my tank.
Pomacanthus annularis - Tiny juvi. I would have rather gotten another blueline, but they are WAY too expensive right now.
Pomacanthus navarchus
Pomacentrus alleni
Pomacentrus coelestis
Salarias ramosus
Xanthichthys auromarginatus

Last edited:
That’s a bummer about the ich outbreak, and sorry to hear about your fish that passed.

How much are the blue line angels going for at the moment? I haven’t seen one in person in a long time.

And did you ever hear back from Ted?

That's a bummer about the ich outbreak, and sorry to hear about your fish that passed.

How much are the blue line angels going for at the moment? I haven't seen one in person in a long time.

And did you ever hear back from Ted?

LA has had them for like 500+. NYA has them way more affordable. I tried one. It died in 3 days in QT. So bluelines are just off the table for me.

No, never heard from ted.

Tank looks awesome, it is a lot of yellow, but I like yellow.

Always such an inspiration. Hope You're doing well. I'm in the middle of farm season, so barely enough time to feed the fish, but maybe this fall I'll be able to start adding a few cast members back to the tank.

Tank looks awesome, it is a lot of yellow, but I like yellow.

Always such an inspiration. Hope You’re doing well. I’m in the middle of farm season, so barely enough time to feed the fish, but maybe this fall I’ll be able to start adding a few cast members back to the tank.

Well, the loss of the annularis the other day isn't helping the yellow situation :( Just like others in the past... Eating, growing, changing color, super active one day, then the next... swimming in place... no interest in food, and dead within 24-48 hrs (no exaggeration in this description or timeline). This time I actually found her sort of gasping/convulsing on the sand. Yikes! This standard MO mysterious fish death I see occasionally (the semilarvatus was another recent victim) is totally unexplainable. I have to think it is something internal, outside of my control... but who knows. Short of an autopsy, not sure I ever will know.

And thanks for the kind words... probably best you don't have the time now. Availability and prices are still all over the place. I have yet to see a falcula butterfly since early 2020, and for some reason yellow pyramids are now 200-300 dollars a pop!

Have you considered using copper power or coppersafe instead of cupramine? I made that switch after nearly a decade of using cupramine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered using copper power or coppersafe instead of cupramine? I made that switch after nearly a decade of using cupramine.

I response to what? The mysterious fish death? I'd be hard pressed to correlate it with Cupramine use, at least in my hands, especially since I treat at a lower than full dose. Is there something recent suggesting Cupramine can cause such issues?

I response to what? The mysterious fish death? I'd be hard pressed to correlate it with Cupramine use, at least in my hands, especially since I treat at a lower than full dose. Is there something recent suggesting Cupramine can cause such issues?

I learned the following from humblefish

"œI am rapidly losing faith in Cupramine, which is ionic copper. It appears "old school" chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is actually safer, more effective and has a wider therapeutic range (1.5 - 2.0 ppm) to work with"

Coppersafe is also safe to be mixed with Fritz Paracleanse which is essentially just General Cure.

I learned the following from humblefish

"œI am rapidly losing faith in Cupramine, which is ionic copper. It appears "old school" chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) is actually safer, more effective and has a wider therapeutic range (1.5 - 2.0 ppm) to work with"

Coppersafe is also safe to be mixed with Fritz Paracleanse which is essentially just General Cure.

Ah, ok, thanks for the context.

Great looking Lamarck male btw. Don't see that often at all. The female also looks good and fat.

Thanks, yeah they are both FATTIES!

I always attributed losses like that to something that happened during collection. Could be copper though I suppose.

I always liked cupramine, but never liked the test.

I always attributed losses like that to something that happened during collection. Could be copper though I suppose.

I always liked cupramine, but never liked the test.

It's so infrequent and inconsistent, I doubt I'll ever figure out the problem. Just cupramine? Unlikely, or I'd experience it all the time. Cupramine (or other med) + internal issues? Could be. I'm thinking supply chain issues, though, with the current state of affairs with shipping/flights, maybe causing internal damage, and not really collection (for example, I'd be hard pressed to cite examples of poor collection of Red Sea fish, like the semilarvatus).

That's a shame, I'm not sure anyone really understood what his collection really meant to RC or to the hobby. So much rarity in one tank.

That is correct, Ted did not have livestock as such, Ted had a magnificent collection of fish, by the way, do you know what happened to his beautiful Personatus?

Thanks. Somehow I ended up with ich in the tank (I assume transferred from QT via a cup, feeding utensil, tubing, something like that). Cupramine was successful, though there were some losses.

Here's an updated list of the inhabitants.

Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2 – moved from the fuge to the main diusplay.
Apolemichthys trimaculatus
Apolemichthys xanthurus – currently in the fuge looking for a new home.
Chaetodon burgessi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon mertensii - died from ich.
Chaetodon lunula x 2
Chaetodon vagabundus x 1 - one died from ich.
Chaetodon kleini
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chrysiptera parasema x 2
Chrysiptera talboti
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Ecsenius midas - accidentally killed by me when I left him high and dry in his hole during a water change :(
Forcipiger flavissimus - disappeared one day. I *think* his remains eventually found their way to the Tunze.
Genicanthus lamarck – M/F pair
Halichoeres chrysus x 2
Halichoeres melanurus
Hemitaurichthys polylepis x 3
Holacanthus tricolor
Labroides dimidiatus
Microcanthus strigatus
Paracanthurus hepatus - I was getting too many comments about all the yellow in my tank.
Pomacanthus annularis - Tiny juvi. I would have rather gotten another blueline, but they are WAY too expensive right now.

Pomacanthus navarchus
Pomacentrus alleni
Pomacentrus coelestis
Salarias ramosus

Any updates, Peter? Do you ever miss the reef tank? I hope all is well!
Hey, hope all is well with you! Things are good here. I do not miss the reef! For every time an amazing looking coral pops up on my social media feeds, I only need one from a fellow hobbyist battling unknown coral deaths to remind me how much I don't miss my reef ;) As for the 240g, here's the rundown since I last posted a list:

Amphiprion occelaris “gladiator” x 2
Apolemichthys trimaculatus - removed to LFS
Apolemichthys xanthurus – removed to LFS
Chaetodon burgessi - died a couple weeks ago after 8 years. He was a BIG bruiser.

Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon ephippium
- original died after almost 10 years or so. Replaced with a new baby.
Chaetodon kleini - finally removed the last one to LFS. Man do I hate that species now LOL

Chaetodon lunula - they got a divorce. Removed 1 to LFS due to aggression
Chaetodon semilarvatus
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chaetodon vagabundus
Chaetodon xanthocephalus
Chaetodontoplus duboulayi
Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis

Chrysiptera parasema x 2
Chrysiptera talboti
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus tominiensis
Cypho purpurescens
Genicanthus lamarck – male only - removed the female to LFS due to aggression
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres chrysus - 1 died over a very long time of getting skinnier and skinnier
Halichoeres melanurus - Died mysteriously, after tripling in size.

Hemitaurichthys polylepis x 2 - removed 1 to LFS due to aggression
Holacanthus tricolor - finally decided to euthanize this one after his abdomen swelled to a diameter larger than a golf ball over the coarse of a few years.
Labroides dimidiatus - died one day (large red sore on flank, looked physically injured)

Microcanthus strigatus
Neocirrhites armatus x 2
Paracanthurus hepatus
Pomacanthus annularis - died, as already previously mentioned.
Pomacanthus navarchus x 2 - added a captive bred baby
Pomacentrus alleni - disappeared one day
Pomacentrus coelestis
Pseudochromis fridmani
Pseudochromis springeri
Pygoplites diacanthus (grey chest)

Salarias ramosus - died around the same time as the melanurus wrasse

Back