My 240g FOWLR

angelfish7 - Current Tank Info: 220 fowlr-blueface,queen, emperor,false personifer, Scribbled, and French angels, blond naso tang,blue throat trigger

Are all these angels adults? do you see any aggression between them or are they peaceful? Seems like a lot of potentially large fish in this tank

Awesome tank as always SD. I would love to add more butterflies . Right now i only have a semilarvatus . I lost three b/f's during the Sandy storm last year. 2 questions:

Can i add another semilarvatus even if mine has been in the DT for a year now?
How long have you had that Rock beauty as those guys are so hard to keep. Had one for six months and one day just stopped eating!

BTW I have large angels in the DT but they don't seem to care about the butterflies.

I've had horrid experiences keeping conspecifics, so I'd say no. I'd also mention that my semilarvatus is the most aggressive butterfly I own. Probably why he does well with your large angels.

I've had the rock beauty for a while now... I'd have to look it up.... almost a year I'd guess.

Outstanding fish collection, great job!!!

Thanks, will be posting a video shortly.

Great video, a question for you. My fish almost all hide when they sleep, you dont seem to have a ton of rock in your tank and you have a decent amount of fish. Do some of them sleep together in the same spot or do some of them sleep in the corner of the tank with no shelter?

As always, stunning! I love seeing the little Mitratus zipping around in there, I can't wait till I get to put mine in the new 240.

I noticed some small fish down in the right hand corner at about 23 seconds, what are those called and what do you know about them. My LFS gets them in from time to time and has always called them banana fish. I've been tempted a number of times, but never pulled the trigger.

Great video, a question for you. My fish almost all hide when they sleep, you dont seem to have a ton of rock in your tank and you have a decent amount of fish. Do some of them sleep together in the same spot or do some of them sleep in the corner of the tank with no shelter?

From what I've seen in the mornings, the butterflies don't really hide behind/under rocks when they sleep.

As always, stunning! I love seeing the little Mitratus zipping around in there, I can't wait till I get to put mine in the new 240.

I noticed some small fish down in the right hand corner at about 23 seconds, what are those called and what do you know about them. My LFS gets them in from time to time and has always called them banana fish. I've been tempted a number of times, but never pulled the trigger.

Sea breams... very neat fish. Pentapodus emeryii.

Wow...what's the qt procedure u set for our fishes...esp the more difficult butterflies

4-8 weeks with cupramine, prazi pro, and nitrofuracin green powder...

New list:
Added

LARGE pomacanthus navarchus (replacing the smaller one I got rid of)
Pygoplites diacanthus (have had him for a while in the fuge, just finally put him in the DT)
Pentapodus emeryii X 3 (cleaner wrasse HATES them :( )
Chaetodon falcula (semilarvatus HATES him)
Chaetodon mertensii (no issues, surprisingly)
Chelmon rostratus (muelleri hates him, no issue with the marginalis, surprisingly)
Parachaetodon ocellatus x 2 (I'm not hopeful with these guys...they refuse everything but live blackworms - oh, and semilarvatus hates them too :rolleyes: )
Chrysiptera parasema (In hiding from the other damsels)
Pomacentrus alleni X 2 (haven't seen them since they were put in the tank :( )

I'm surprised even in an 8' tank how aggressive tiny damsels can be to each other.

Labroides dimidiatus
Thalassoma bifasciatum
Chaetodontoplus meredithi
Pomacanthus asfur
Pomacanthus navarchus
Holacanthus tricolor
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon declivis
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon flavirostris
Chaetodon mitratus
Chaetodon paucifasciatus
Chaetodon pelewensis/punctatofasciatus hybrid
Chaetodon rainfordi
Chaetodon semilarvatus
Chaetodon xanthurus
Chelmon marginalis
Chelmon muelleri
Zanclus cornutus
Scarus quoyi
Amphiprion melanopus x 2
Chrysiptera hemicyanea
Chrysiptera starcki x 2
Chrysiptera talboti x 2
Pomacentrus alleni

Last edited:
This tank is looking amazing, all those butterfly's swimming together along with some angels is very impressive. Have you considered adding any tangs to the tank?

I'm kind of anti-tang with this tank. I QT'ed a tiny hippo with this last batch but didn't transfer him to the DT. I really want a fowleri but obviously don't have the room at this point.... so, no tangs for me it seems for this tank.

Sorry to ask an equipment question, but what kind of return pump are you using. I'm looking at the dart/snapper hybrid for my set up and want to be sure it's enough flow. The guy I bought the tank from was using a hammerhead.

Sorry to ask an equipment question, but what kind of return pump are you using. I'm looking at the dart/snapper hybrid for my set up and want to be sure it's enough flow. The guy I bought the tank from was using a hammerhead.

I'm not a fan of high flow returns/sumps. I don't see the point to it. I use a submersible... I'll have to check the model number, I think it's a QuietOne 6000?

Very nice tank! Glad to see someone that's not afraid to stock a tank! Tired of seeing big empty tanks with 6 fish in it screaming their overstocked!

True, there are a lot of fish, but I tried to keep in mind eventual sizes and temperments of these fish. Believe me, I'm not thrilled that I have a 240g tank and still can't have a big queen or emp angel!

angelfish7 - Current Tank Info: 220 fowlr-blueface,queen, emperor,false personifer, Scribbled, and French angels, blond naso tang,blue throat trigger

Are all these angels adults? do you see any aggression between them or are they peaceful? Seems like a lot of potentially large fish in this tank

RayL
The blueface, french, and emperor have pretty much gotten to adult size. The Scribbled, personifer and Queen are 5-6" range. I've had these all since they were juvie except for the blueface. Amazingly they get along well. though the emp tends to show its dominance once in a while. If i cant upgrade this year then im thinking of selling the three larger angels and adding some butterflys.

I think I'm going to have to catch the semilarvatus this weekend and give him a time out in the fuge. He's just so aggressive to the falcula and the parachaetodons...

BTW i have 55g QT . how many butterfly would u say i can QT at once if a added eggcrate if necessary. would love to order at least 3 soon . thanks

Back